SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Another big game on Thursday has Central and Red River playing one another. The last time these teams met it went down the wire, and either team could have won the game. It would be a tremendous boost for Central if they could not only beat their cross town rival, but also knock the east region regular season title away from them.

PS: Very glad to see the game will be played at Purpur. I've been to Central-Red River games at the Ralph during the regular season, and I'm sure that some Grand Forks natives will agree that the atmosphere isn't quite the same. :D

i think that this will be a very good game. and as you pointed out, very important as well. i am going to stick with RR pulling out a win and staying in pursuit of the 1 seed. even if RR loses, you cant count them out for the 1 seed because south still needs to beat grafton on thursday i believe. if this is right, thursday should be a very good night for high school hockey. i am also very glad to see the game played at purpur. it has always been fun to see the fans pack in there and make some noise instead of being too spread out in the ralph

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that this will be a very good game. and as you pointed out, very important as well. i am going to stick with RR pulling out a win and staying in pursuit of the 1 seed. even if RR loses, you cant count them out for the 1 seed because south still needs to beat grafton on thursday i believe. if this is right, thursday should be a very good night for high school hockey. i am also very glad to see the game played at purpur. it has always been fun to see the fans pack in there and make some noise instead of being too spread out in the ralph

I expect to see a Rider victory as well. After the big win Saturday, I think the Riders will carry over the momentum and stick it to Central. Also, the games are ALOT better being played in Purpur. Much, much better atmosphere.

Both Central and Red River play their home games at Purpur. Thursday is one of the better nights of high school hockey you'll see. The four premiere powers all playing each other on one night, you may just see these matchups again come February. Although Central may be overlooking West Fargo on Tuesday night. Rivalries aside West Fargo may be a bigger game for Grand Forks Central. Everyone will lose to Red River but Central needs to start picking up points to try to better their position come region tournament time. Minot and Williston also square off tomorrow night, I look for the Coyotes to have a minor upset and beat Minot. After all I believe this game is being played on their olympic ice.

I agree with that assessment. Williston has been playing pretty well as of late, and playing on the Olympic rink is a definate advantage. Williston will have problems with Minots first two lines on the Olympic ice, but if they match lines throughout the game they should be alright.

I'll say:

Williston 3

Minot 2

Im sure this is the last thing that Shanley wanted to happen - South lose their first game right before they play them. My bet is that South is going to be pretty fired up and i would expect to see running time in the third period.

When Shanley played the spoilers, They tried to just keep it close by packing it in tight and allowing alot of perimeter shots. They have a few wide bodies on thier team that don't move real well, so they plant them in front of the net to box out. ( Very similiar to a Whapeton or Jamestown).

Any predictions for tommorows games and Thursdays games, tommorows games are RR vs FN, South vs Shanely, Central vs WF, Minot vs Williston, then on Thursday, RR vs Central, South vs Grafton

rr over north 4-1

south over shanley (not sure of the score)

central over WF 3-2

rr over central 3-1

south over grafton 4-2

Any predictions for tommorows games and Thursdays games, tommorows games are RR vs FN, South vs Shanely, Central vs WF, Minot vs Williston, then on Thursday, RR vs Central, South vs Grafton

1) RR - 7 North - 1

2) South - 10 Shanley - 0

3) Central - 4 West Fargo - 4

4) Williston - 3 Minot - 2

5) RR - 5 Central - 2

6) South - 4 Grafton - 1

Just got home from the Red River-North game...Riders won 9-0. The Riders controlled the whole game, outshooting North about 40-15 I'd say...North got awfully chippy at the end, throwing alot of cheap shots...I was impressed by the play of North goalie Justin Welk. The score doesn't indicate how he played. The Riders had alot of tap-in goals and Welk made a couple very nice saves; without him, this could've easily been a 14 or 15-0 game.

Another tough loss for Central. I think that this loss probably prevents them from cracking the top 4 of the region.

Right now, they have 4 region points, and their remaining regional schedule is:

Red River-Probably a loss

Wahpeton-4 Points

@Fargo North-Could go either way

@Jamestown-Anything can happen in Jamestown

Grafton-Probably a loss

@South-Probably a loss.

So the most points I see them finishing with is like 12, which more than likely puts them in 6th place for the region tourny. Could make for an interesting EDC.... :lol:

I aslo just got home from the RR-North game. RR domianted all aspects of the game. North had the puck down in the Rider zone about 3 times thorougout the game for more that 20 seconds. Those were all powerplays. I have to say I disagree with soohockey15 on Welk playing good. Im not saying he played good but he is very capible of playing better than that. He was left out to dry on a couple but he should have saved 2, maybe 3 of the 6 he let in. Also, it was good to see Swedish Foriegn exchange student see some varsity playing time.

I attended the Red River-FN game tonight and I must say I was rather surprised at how far Fargo North hockey really has fell. It was really men against boys. There has been a lot of talk on this thread of a few North players being among the states elite but I think that there are probably 6 or 7 players on RR's roster that would be the best player on FN. Also I must comment on the immature play of many of the Spartan players late in the game. They got quite chippy and that kind of play is totally uncalled for in a game that is already over. You'd think with all the ass-whoopings theyve had this season theyd be able to handle it better.

Talked to a few Rider players and they said it was quite hysterical how much the North Players run their mouth. Youd think after gettipng punded that many times theyd shut-up. Also, Klein, Fisher, Bombanger, and Klenow did absolutely nothing tonight. They were all out there on the powerplay together and mangede to get a couple shots but they were rarely able to get it set up. Not one of these players is what soem of you hype them up to be.

Barring some sort of miracle Central cannot finish in the top 4. The 5 seed has now turned into the dogfight, I dont see anyway West Fargo can fall out of the top 4 with their win tonight. Although it will be interesting to see who finishes 5, because right now Central, North, and Shanley all are playing like they'd rather be a 7 seed come region tournament time. I still think West Fargo is vulnerable and these 3 teams should strive for that 5 seed to have their best shot at a potential upset. Once Shane returns I believe it will be Grand Forks Central's race to lose.