SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

man o man

i was at the Red River-West fargo game last nite. I have to say that was one of the more physical hockey games i have been to in purper besides the RR and GFC games. Kids were going back inforth at each other. One kid would knock another down and that kid got up and went after the kid that hit him dow. Tempers were falrin and i thoguth there was gunna be a fight but there was almost one between mahulka and another kdi but the refs were quick to break it up. RR jsut overpowered WF in every aspect of the game. RR is on fire right now and id watch out.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, I don't think they do. I mean, it's hard to say "Look at us! We're really stocked with prize recruits" after losing Esposito, Crosby, and Toews the past few years.

Shanley did not play Shattuck's number one squad. That squad is known as the Prep Team, and may not be as strong as they have been in recent years but still have a small handful of division one recruits.

If I'm not mistaken, their midget AAA team is basically their JV team. So it would seem to me that it is a bunch of kids with a lot of money who aren't generally the best players, but they want to play for a powerhouse school. I shouldn't speculate, but I guess thats what it seems to be.

If I'm not mistaken, their midget AAA team is basically their JV team. So it would seem to me that it is a bunch of kids with a lot of money who aren't generally the best players, but they want to play for a powerhouse school. I shouldn't speculate, but I guess thats what it seems to be.

You are indeed speculating and you are incorrect. They are not a JV team. Shattuck has 3 teams: (1) the prep team; (2) the AAA Midget team (3) the Varsity. The prep team generally is a step above the top high school teams in Minnesota. This is the team that has produced many D1 players, including the Parise brothers, the Eaves brothers, Chris Porter, Matt Smaby, Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby, Taylor Chorney, Ryan Duncan and many more. The last 2 years, Holy Angels made much of the fact that they played them tough but lost, and Holy Angels is a Minnesota high school power. The AAA Midget team is better than most teams in ND, but is made up of primarily sophomores and juniors. It is the team that plays in the Elite II league in the fall, so there is talent. About 1/2 of its current roster will make the prep team next year. The rest will be relegated to the Varsity which is the weakest team. The varsity team is basically a JV team or an average high school team.

You are indeed speculating and you are incorrect. They are not a JV team. Shattuck has 3 teams: (1) the prep team; (2) the AAA Midget team (3) the Varsity. The prep team generally is a step above the top high school teams in Minnesota. This is the team that has produced many D1 players, including the Parise brothers, the Eaves brothers, Chris Porter, Matt Smaby, Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby, Taylor Chorney, Ryan Duncan and many more. The last 2 years, Holy Angels made much of the fact that they played them tough but lost, and Holy Angels is a Minnesota high school power. The AAA Midget team is better than most teams in ND, but is made up of primarily sophomores and juniors. It is the team that plays in the Elite II league in the fall, so there is talent. About 1/2 of its current roster will make the prep team next year. The rest will be relegated to the Varsity which is the weakest team. The varsity team is basically a JV team or an average high school team.

While you might be right on everything else(I honestly don't know) there are more then 3 teams. There is 1)Prep 2)U-16 3)Midget AAA(the team that shanley played) 4)Midget AAA 5)Midget AA 6)Bantam Tier I 7)Bantam Tier II. And I believe the talent level is in the order I just listed. I'm not putting anything against Shanley because I haven't seen them play, and it IS shattuck, so there must be some talent. I'm just saying that it is nowhere close to shattuck's prep team that they played.

While you might be right on everything else(I honestly don't know) there are more then 3 teams. There is 1)Prep 2)U-16 3)Midget AAA(the team that shanley played) 4)Midget AAA 5)Midget AA 6)Bantam Tier I 7)Bantam Tier II. And I believe the talent level is in the order I just listed. I'm not putting anything against Shanley because I haven't seen them play, and it IS shattuck, so there must be some talent. I'm just saying that it is nowhere close to shattuck's prep team that they played.

Once and for-all.....

1) Prep team ( Alittle down this year)

2) Midget AAA (formally known as the Sabers ,team that played in the Minnesota Junior hockey league.)

3) Midget AA ( This is for players with very weak skills that didn't make the A's or B's)

4) U16 ( Some years Shattucks 2nd best team, but ussaully very young Freshman and Sophmores only)

5)Bantam AAA teir 1

6) Bantam teir 2

I just can't figure shanely out, they play Whapeton and have to gut out a win, then they play Shattuck tough. I'm perplexed.

Once and for-all.....

2) Midget AAA (formally known as the Sabers ,team that played in the Minnesota Junior hockey league.)

3) Midget AA ( This is for players with very weak skills that didn't make the A's or B's)

4) U16 ( Some years Shattucks 2nd best team, but ussaully very young Freshman and Sophmores only)

5)Bantam AAA teir 1

6) Bantam teir 2

I just can't figure shanely out, they play Whapeton and have to gut out a win, then they play Shattuck tough. I'm perplexed.

They may spell it "shanely' in Grafton, but its spelled Shanley everywhere else.

Mine would be:

G: Eli Rosendahl-RR

D: Jarret Galbreath-RR

D: Brian Lee-Dickinson

F: Marc Mihulka-RR

F: Paul Cambell-GPR

F: Nick Klenow-North

So far Mr. Hockey is looking like it will end up in Fargo, in the hands of Nick Klenow.

Coach of the year is Jay Erickson-Fargo North

what does everyone else think?

Boy I think you might be legally retarded. How can you leave out the two best players in the state of North Dakota? I am referring to Paul Weisgarber (who is going to win Mr. Hockey) and Erik Galt (the best defenseman in the state). You clearly have it out against South, and rightfully so- you are clearly jealous. The time has come for a Fargo team to be all-out better than both Grand Forks teams. Perhaps you should take off your Maroon-shaded glasses and take a look at the big picture. South is the best team in the state and you need to deal with it. And by the way, Jay Erickson will not be coach of the year. I think for that award you need to have a good hockey team. Come on ya panzee, give South some credit here.

Boy I think you might be legally retarded. How can you leave out the two best players in the state of North Dakota? I am referring to Paul Weisgarber (who is going to win Mr. Hockey) and Erik Galt (the best defenseman in the state). You clearly have it out against South, and rightfully so- you are clearly jealous. The time has come for a Fargo team to be all-out better than both Grand Forks teams. Perhaps you should take off your Maroon-shaded glasses and take a look at the big picture. South is the best team in the state and you need to deal with it. And by the way, Jay Erickson will not be coach of the year. I think for that award you need to have a good hockey team. Come on ya panzee, give South some credit here.

You are obviously blind to the fact that this team is kind of a joke. Nick Klenow, Brian Lee, and Jay Erickson? He's obviously joking putting those names on the list. And about the maroon-shaded glasses? Um, nowhere on that list is a player from Grand Forks Central.

My guess for the all-state team will be Weisgarber and Galt in place of Lee and Klenow.

Once and for-all.....

5)Bantam AAA teir 1

6) Bantam teir 2

That is correct, they have six teams. If you are a bantam age player that can compete at the national level the typical progression in the Shattuck system would be Bantam AAA Tier I, then U16, then Prep Team. For example, Tyson Dozak, the 6'5" defenseman from Fergus Falls, who is now with Kelowna of the WHL took that progression. The Bantam team plays for the USA Hockey Tier I National Championship (as the Minnkota rep they advance directly since there are no other Tier I bantam teams). The U16s also go to the USA Hockey Tier I National Championships (Minor Midget) as does the Prep Team for Major Midget (there are no other Minnesota, South Dakota or North Dakota teams at that classification for a playoff so they also advance directly). There are occasionally players who take the fast track progression (Tier I bantam, U16) but then do not make the Prep team as juniors or seniors. Sometimes they quit before playing on the Midget AAA team and migrate to one of the top high school programs nearby (Blake, Bloomington Jefferson, etc, etc). The Midget AAA team does have some good players and they play a lot of games starting in September.

I am not sure that it is the case that, as skatesshattrick says, that about 1/2 of the Midget AAA will make the Prep team next year. That is speculation and depends a lot on who they bring in for next year. Things may have changed but a couple of years ago, I would have to dig out some old Shattuck rosters to check, it was rare for anyone from the Midget AAA to make the Prep Team. If you can show me data showing large numbers of kids (1/2 of the team) moving from Midget AAA to Prep I, in the past, I would love to see it. The top younger players were on the U16 team and they progressed from there to the Prep Team along with players like Crosby who came in and went directly to the Prep team.

Actually, I was able to dig out the rosters and the Prep Team for 05-06 has only four kids who played on the Midget AAA last year and two of them were moved up when two Prep players were let go for violating school rules. In effect 2 moved up from MIdget AAA, seven moved up from U16, five were on the team the previous year and several were new recruits who went straight to the team to replace guys like Esposito who left early.

I've been trying to figure this out.... How freakishly bad does a team need to suck for an opposing player to completly stop in front of their goalie wait till the goalie slids out of the way then put the puck into the net while not being touched by a single player. This is not a knock on mihulka, it's a knock on the absolutly brutal competition he must have been playing agianst. I say a new rule should be made that any team that gets the stop-o-razi pulled on them should get their funding completly ripped away.

You are obviously blind to the fact that this team is kind of a joke. Nick Klenow, Brian Lee, and Jay Erickson? He's obviously joking putting those names on the list. And about the maroon-shaded glasses? Um, nowhere on that list is a player from Grand Forks Central.

My guess for the all-state team will be Weisgarber and Galt in place of Lee and Klenow.

In all do respect how do you leave Thomas Campell off of this list? Or defenseman Andy Peterson also from Grafton. It's about time everyone from their respective cities quit these games of putting their cities star in the limelight on a high school message board when it's doubtful they deserve it. An unbiased opinion? Alright here...

G- Tony Kringstad

D- Andy Peterson

D- Erick Galt

F-Paul Weisgarber

F-T. Campell

F-P. Campell

Coach- Ross Richards

IMO Tony Kringstad(I have seen him play 3 times, and have heard about him playing from other games by posters on this site) is not the correct choice for goalie. From all accounts, Rosendahl of RR is having a very good year, as is Michael Hillman out west. I have seen about 5 of BHS's games this year, and have heard from other posters that every game they have seen him play, he has been lights out. Every game I've seen him play, he looks to be a top notch high school goalie. I wasn't at the Fargo South-BHS game(south won 3-1) but I hear that Hillman absolutely stole the show with his performance there. So I would say either him or Eli Rosendahl would have to be the goaltenders in mind for All-state consideration.

In all do respect how do you leave Thomas Campell off of this list? Or defenseman Andy Peterson also from Grafton. It's about time everyone from their respective cities quit these games of putting their cities star in the limelight on a high school message board when it's doubtful they deserve it. An unbiased opinion? Alright here...

G- Tony Kringstad

D- Andy Peterson

D- Erick Galt

F-Paul Weisgarber

F-T. Campell

F-P. Campell

Coach- Ross Richards

G-Rosendahl RR

D-Galt FS

D-Swanson WF

F-Weisgarber FS

F-P. Campbell GPR

F-Mihulka RR

First of all, Tony Kringstad is nowhere near the top of the state this year. Second of all, I dont doubt that the Campbells are good, but they have done NOTHING in the two biggest games of their year to date, RR and FS. You dont deserve to be Mr Hockey for putting up 6 points on sub-par teams. When you are ready to get rid of your grafton boner you can post again. 4 of 6 all-staters from a team that is FOURTH in the east region, that's genius.

G- Tony Kringstad

D- Andy Peterson

D- Erick Galt

F-Paul Weisgarber

F-T. Campell

F-P. Campell

Coach- Ross Richards

Your entire post contradicted itself. You tell people to quit putting their hometown teams first and have an unbiased opinion, then you go and put four Grafton players on the list. Kringstad isn't one of the top three goalies in the state, let alone the best.

Just for some entertainment here are goalie statistics for a few EDC goalies that controls, as much as possible, on difficulty of schedule. I have calculated GAA and save percentage for EDC games only. That helps to standardize the comparison and accounts for the fact that some teams have played tougher schedules than other teams. It is not a perfect analysis as not every team has played the same EDC schedule but by now most every team has played each of the EDC teams (Shanley has not played South, West Fargo has not yet played Grafton, etc). Just the same, here are the numbers in rank order:

1. Sean Deichert 0.428 GAA (3 goals), 97.4% saves

2. Eli Rosendahl 1.125 GAA (9 goals), 94.1% saves

3. Tony Kringstad 1.875 GAA (15 goals), 92.5% saves

4. Kelvin Shane 2.71 GAA, (19 goals) 89.6% saves

5. Bob Traynor 4.0 GAA, (32 goals) 88.4% saves

6. Justin Welk 4.4 GAA, (40 goals) 85.8% saves

This is not a complete listing as I did not take the time to work all the numbers. I have done calculations for those goalies who have been discussed from the East Region. In all fairness, on an apples to apples comparison, Sean Deichert has the best statistics. Having the best statistics does not mean that you are necessarily the best goalie. The performance of a goalie can also be reviewed more closely by looking at the number of power play goals scored against them. If the guys out front play stupid and give the other team an advantage then your numbers will look worse. Some of the goalies in the east have worked with that type of handicap. For the goalie position some of this (awards) is going to come down to who comes up big in critical games (e.g. South vs Red River, Central vs Red River, Grafton vs South, etc.). On the other hand, if the defense is able to smother the other teams then some of these goalies will not be able to face the big tests that will show who is the best - the big games might not come down to goal tending. We will have to wait and see.

Hopefully, I have not made any math errors in doing this analysis.

Another way of looking at the goalie issue is to see how the top goalies have done against the top teams. Here are save percentages for four goalies in their games against Fargo South in rank order:

1. Michael Hillman 54/57 (3 goals) 94.7%

2. Tony Kringstad 35/37 (2 goals) 94.6%

3. Eli Rosendahl 24/26 (2 goals) 92.3%

4. Kelvin Shane 31/35 (4 goals) 88.6%

I might add that West Fargo's Colin Guidinger had 44/48 vs South for a 91.6% save percentage (4 goals) a day or two after South had their big game against Moorhead.

Here are the save percentages for several top goalies against the #2 team in the East - Red River:

1. Sean Deichert 24/25 (1 goal) 96.0%

2. Kelvin Shane 24/26 (2 goals) 92.3%

3. Tony Kringstad 24/28 (4 goals) 85.7%

In some cases there is not a meaningful difference between goalies in terms of save percentage. We also have to take account that the performance of the goalie is also impacted by the defense so this is not a perfect analysis. Also, the numbers are based on a per game basis. If we would aggregate the results for games between the top 3 or 4 teams in the east we could come up with a fairly stable indicator of who is, at least statistically, the best player.

IMO Tony Kringstad(I have seen him play 3 times, and have heard about him playing from other games by posters on this site) is not the correct choice for goalie. From all accounts, Rosendahl of RR is having a very good year, as is Michael Hillman out west. I have seen about 5 of BHS's games this year, and have heard from other posters that every game they have seen him play, he has been lights out. Every game I've seen him play, he looks to be a top notch high school goalie. I wasn't at the Fargo South-BHS game(south won 3-1) but I hear that Hillman absolutely stole the show with his performance there. So I would say either him or Eli Rosendahl would have to be the goaltenders in mind for All-state consideration.

i agree but i beleive the top 3 goalies in the state have to be rosendahl SR. red river , hillman JR. bhs and deichert JR. south , statistics aside these 3 are are undoubtedly the best