SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

ND Pride, those are the 5 I would have picked also, and probably in the order you listed them. Ther are alot of good players out there, but I would put them a step below these guys.

My feelings exactly. I could run off the names of 10-12 kids - Adam Campbell, Andy Dittus, Andrew Petersen, etc. Most everyone is a step below those kids as you say. Nice to have some consensus on something.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say Milhulka is the best overall player in the state. He is down in point totals but he starts the plays on a lot of RR's goals. He doesnt have another outstanding player on his line like the Cambells and Weisgarber do. He does a lot of the dirty work and is all guts no(some) glory. After seeing the Stop-o-Razi I cant think of a better candidate.

Reading all of these posts about high school hockey is a joke. None of you have a clue who the players around the state are and yet you state who you think is the best, who will win Mr. Hockey, who the best coach is. Grand Forks has been the dominant hockey team for the last 30 years and will always be in the top three for years to come. I have no problem admitting this being from Fargo. Stop wasting everyones time with bull$%!# posts.

No one in here has a clue who is going to be Mr. Hockey? If I said it was going to be Paul Weisgarber, Paul Campell, or Erick Galt would I still not have a clue? Who are you trying to kid RCB41? Doesn't Centrals JV team have a team meal you should be getting back to?

I would have to say Milhulka is the best overall player in the state. He is down in point totals but he starts the plays on a lot of RR's goals. He doesnt have another outstanding player on his line like the Cambells and Weisgarber do. He does a lot of the dirty work and is all guts no(some) glory. After seeing the Stop-o-Razi I cant think of a better candidate.

Mihulka is agood player, but I still have to go with Weisgarber. You stated that Mihulka doesn't have a great player on his line to help him. That may be true, but if I'm correct, both these guys played on the elite I team this fall, and Weisgarber was by far the leading scorer on the team and I believe in the top 5 or 6 in the entire league. Obviously, Mihulka had to have some very good linemates with him too. Like I said, Mihulka is one of the best players in the state, but not the top one.

Junior24 I can certainly agree with on some that. Mihulka does a lot of the work that goes unnoticed. He is a real grinder and his ability to go out and play with recklass abandon makes him a prize for any team he plays on. Fair or not, Weisgarber and the Campbell's are going to look better than Mihulka simply because they have another great player to compliment their play. Maybe Marc deserves Mr. Hockey, but it's going to be tough for him to win with Weisgarber and the Cambpell's producing the points that they are. If it's any consolation to Marc, it's not the points that get you to the next level. It's the little things, that he does very well, like backchecking, finishing your check, winning battles alone the boards, chipping the puck out of the zone, and dumping the puck cross corner. If I could say one thing to Marc Mihulka right now it would be, Keep up the good work.

I've been trying to figure this out.... How freakishly bad does a team need to suck for an opposing player to completly stop in front of their goalie wait till the goalie slids out of the way then put the puck into the net while not being touched by a single player. This is not a knock on mihulka, it's a knock on the absolutly brutal competition he must have been playing agianst. I say a new rule should be made that any team that gets the stop-o-razi pulled on them should get their funding completly ripped away.

Junior24 I can certainly agree with on some that. Mihulka does a lot of the work that goes unnoticed. He is a real grinder and his ability to go out and play with recklass abandon makes him a prize for any team he plays on. Fair or not, Weisgarber and the Campbell's are going to look better than Mihulka simply because they have another great player to compliment their play. Maybe Marc deserves Mr. Hockey, but it's going to be tough for him to win with Weisgarber and the Cambpell's producing the points that they are. If it's any consolation to Marc, it's not the points that get you to the next level. It's the little things, that he does very well, like backchecking, finishing your check, winning battles alone the boards, chipping the puck out of the zone, and dumping the puck cross corner. If I could say one thing to Marc Mihulka right now it would be, Keep up the good work.

I do agree with you in some respects, specifics. He is very good in the corners and does a great job of finishing his checks and taking the body. Very strong.

I've been trying to figure this out.... How freakishly bad does a team need to suck for an opposing player to completly stop in front of their goalie wait till the goalie slids out of the way then put the puck into the net while not being touched by a single player. This is not a knock on mihulka, it's a knock on the absolutly brutal competition he must have been playing agianst. I say a new rule should be made that any team that gets the stop-o-razi pulled on them should get their funding completly ripped away.

I'm not sure how freakishly bad a team needs to suck, why dont you ask the #5 team in the state, West Fargo.

I'd definately agree that Milhulka is one of the best players in the state. Every time I've seen him play I've been impressed with his effort. I would be surprised if he won Mr. Hockey, but he would be very deserving of the award.

Well, I might as well post the updated standings from the web page.

East

1. Fargo South

2. GF Red River

3. West Fargo

4. Grafton PR

5. Fargo Shanley

6. Fargo North

7. Central

8. Jamestown

9. Whapeton

West

1. Minot

2. Bismarck High

3. Devils Lake

4. Williston

5. Century

6. Hazen

7. Dickinson

8. Mandan

9. Bottineau

I'm guessing that Central will pop up into the 5th spot for the EDC, and that Devils Lake will finish behind Minot for the second spot in the west heading into the regional. If I'm a top three seed in the east I'm hoping that Central finishes at 5th because I don't know too many teams that would want to play a tournament team like Central at the regional. Although if they did finish seventh it would make for one helluva first round game between them and Red River.... :D

I agree that there could be some significant movement in the east region standings as the season winds down. Central still has their 4 point game with Wahpeton and that will give them a nice bump. West Fargo has not yet played Grafton so they have a home and away series which will be tough as well as South and Red River. West Fargo had close games with Central and North so it could be interesting. Shanley was off to a reasonable early start but still has a 4 point with South and a number of other tough games ahead. Regarding Gillen's ranking of West Fargo as fifth in the state I think that is soft just like his listing of Shanley in the "other" category under the teams he rates. It makes for interesting discussion. We will see which teams step up in the second half of the regular season.

My Top 5:

1) Fargo South-complete domination

2) Red River-very solid defensively, great powerplay

3) Minot-getting to be the team we expected

4) Grafton- Park River- great top line, just a notch below Red River

5) Bismarck High-goaltending, defense

My Mr. Hockey Finalists:

1) Paul Weisgarber-what's not to like about his play

2) Paul Campbell- amazing player, does need to use his size a bit more

3) Eli Rosendahl- Great job between the pipes, overlooked by many people

I can't pull a #5 team out of the mess of teams in the middle. Clearly South is at the top right now followed by Red River and Grafton. I would put Minot next although I am not convinced that they would end up fourth in the state at the end of the season. Hillman is stong for Bismarck but their defense gave up 54 shots against South and they could not hold off Devils Lake in a 3-2 loss. The west is a big question mark with the exception of Minot. There are some good goalies around the state but I have not seen the level of performance in important games to rate a nomination for Mr. Hockey. Hillman probably comes closest for his effort against South - but he is a junior. There are plenty of big games to play and one of them could merit such a nomination based on future performances. Rosendahl could have improved his stock if he would have stopped Marc Harrie's penalty shot. He could still come up big.

I'd like to see you stop Marc Harrie barrelling down on you 1 on 1 ;) .

Just to kill some time I was browsing through schedules and found some good matchups down the stretch run.

Minot at Bismarck Jan. 13

Fargo North at Grafton Jan. 14

West Fargo at Red River Jan. 14

Roseau at Red River Jan. 17

Grafton at West Fargo Jan. 19

Red River at Fargo South Jan. 21

Devils Lake at Williston Jan. 21

Fargo North at Red River Jan. 24

Grand Forks Central at West Fargo Jan. 24

Minot at Williston Jan. 24

Red River at Central Jan. 26

Grafton at Fargo South Jan. 26

Fargo North at West Fargo Jan. 27

Grand Forks Central at Fargo North Feb. 2

West Fargo at Grafton Feb. 2

Bismarck at Devils Lake Feb. 3

Minot at Grand Forks Red River Feb. 3

Minot at Grafton-Park River Feb. 4

Grafton at Central Feb. 9

Red River at Grafton Feb. 11

Williston at Bismarck Feb. 11

Devils Lake at Minot Feb. 11

I'm very much looking forward to the 3rd and 4th of February when Minot gets the chance to travel to Red River and Grafton. Minot is finally getting all of their players back from injuries and suspensions, and I think that they will play Red River and Grafton really tough. It will be the first of many big tests for them in February.

I can't pull a #5 team out of the mess of teams in the middle. Clearly South is at the top right now followed by Red River and Grafton. I would put Minot next although I am not convinced that they would end up fourth in the state at the end of the season. Hillman is stong for Bismarck but their defense gave up 54 shots against South and they could not hold off Devils Lake in a 3-2 loss. The west is a big question mark with the exception of Minot. There are some good goalies around the state but I have not seen the level of performance in important games to rate a nomination for Mr. Hockey. Hillman probably comes closest for his effort against South. There are plenty of big games to play and one of them could merit such a nomination based on future performances. Rosendahl could have improved his stock if he would have stopped Marc Harrie's penalty shot. He could still come up big.

I agree with south , red river and grafton as the top 3- minot could sneak in there. Mr. hockey has to remain a question mark until the end of the season with weisgarber, mihulka and the campbells heading the list up with other possible choices like galt or klenow. Rosendahl and kringsted would probably be the only goalies to get any consideration where Hillman is only a junior. Teams like North,Central,West Fargo, Devils Lake and Bismarck seem to be of the same caliber

May I add that Mihulka also pulled off the stop-o-razi on Nate Ziggelman (currently backup goaltender at Minn-Duluth) during the legends game that RR held over Christmas break.

I agree with south , red river and grafton as the top 3- minot could sneak in there. Mr. hockey has to remain a question mark until the end of the season with weisgarber, mihulka and the campbells heading the list up with other possible choices like galt or klenow. Rosendahl and kringsted would probably be the only goalies to get any consideration where Hillman is only a junior. Teams like North,Central,West Fargo, Devils Lake and Bismarck seem to be of the same caliber

I'm sure this has something to do with the number of games played but as of now Shanley is rated ahead of North (Shanley lost to North) and North is rated ahead of Central (North lost to Central). Whatever the case it seems as though the 4th through 7th spots are a toss up right now. It's going to be a much easier road once you get into the EDC tournement if you are 4 or 5, so that will be crucial in getting a spot into the state tourney. I haven't heard as much as I usually do about Galt, is he in Weisgarbers shadow right now or what? If anything he should be standing at Weisgarbers side because in my mind its not just Souths offense thats keeping them at number one.

My Top 5:

1) Fargo South-complete domination

2) Red River-very solid defensively, great powerplay

3) Minot-getting to be the team we expected

4) Grafton- Park River- great top line, just a notch below Red River

5) Bismarck High-goaltending, defense

My Mr. Hockey Finalists:

1) Paul Weisgarber-what's not to like about his play

2) Paul Campbell- amazing player, does need to use his size a bit more

3) Eli Rosendahl- Great job between the pipes, overlooked by many people

I agree with your 3 finalists for Mr. Hockey from what I have seen this far this season. The two Pauls are both excellent players, mainly offensively but Weisgarber plays very well in his own end. I like your third Mr. Hockey finalist. You hit it right on the nose when you said he is overlooked by many people. With the best stats in the state, GAA and Save %, he could sneak up into the top two. He has given up 10 goals in 9 games and 5 goals in his last 7 games. Granted he has good defense in front of him that allow him to see the puck and block a lot of shots, but he controls his rebounds very well, not giving second chances. It will be fun to see what 3 players are chosen as Mr. Hockey finalists as the season wears down.

May I add that Mihulka also pulled off the stop-o-razi on Nate Ziggelman (currently backup goaltender at Minn-Duluth) during the legends game that RR held over Christmas break.

The point i'm trying to make is that, for you to come in from that sharp of an angle stop wait a second for the goalie to get out of the way then put the puck in the net, and remain on touched is quite pathetic on the part of the other team (Defense). I'm curious as to where the other team is during this cherad. This is not intended to be a knock on mihulka or his move.

The point i'm trying to make is that, for you to come in from that sharp of an angle stop wait a second for the goalie to get out of the way then put the puck in the net, and remain on touched is quite pathetic on the part of the other team (Defense). I'm curious as to where the other team is during this cherad. This is not intended to be a knock on mihulka or his move.

You bring up a good point, never really looked at it that way. They must have been caught in a bad change or maybe he blocked a shot and got free. Although we know the Packers aren't the fleetest of the foot ;)

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but former Minot High School player(would be a senior this year had he not left early) Jordan Willert made the USHL all star team for the western conference. That is very impressive, and it's nice to see North Dakota get some representation. As I look down the roster, neither of the two North Dakota recruits(Marto and Vandevelde) from the USHL made the teams. Here is a Link.

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but former Minot High School player(would be a senior this year had he not left early) Jordan Willert made the USHL all star team for the western conference. That is very impressive, and it's nice to see North Dakota get some representation. As I look down the roster, neither of the two North Dakota recruits(Marto and Vandevelde) from the USHL made the teams. Here is a Link.

Who says the west doesn't produce good hockey players? Just think this could still could be playing for the Magi this year. Maybe if he would've hung around Mr. Bair would be losing some records, and we'd be talking about a different number one seed.

You bring up a good point, never really looked at it that way. They must have been caught in a bad change or maybe he blocked a shot and got free. Although we know the Packers aren't the fleetest of the foot ;)

The Riders were on the penalty kill at the time of the Stop-o-Razi. Mihulka went to his knees to block the shot, got up and knocked the defensemen off the puck, went in on the breakaway, and the rest is history.