SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red River is having a game similar to what Central had last night tonight at 7:00 at Purpur Arena. Former players playing include Ryan Potulny, Danny Irmen, Tim Skarperud, Mike Eickman, Nate Ziggelman, Paul Murphy, and many other former players.

I was not able to attend the Legends game, but I heard that the Legends beat the Riders 12-4. Another thing that I heard was that Marc "10 Bears" Mihulka pulled his vaunted move, the Stop-O-Razi, on Nate Ziggelman. Mihulka then proceeded to go sit in his reserved seat on the Legends bench. From what I hear, this move was quite amazing, and is just another chapter in the book of amazing Mihulka feats.

For anyone who is curious .... here's a link to the holiday hockey tournament schedules. They have all nine tournaments scheds. It looks like Williston has cancelled their Holiday Tourney and will only have a JV Tourney.

http://www.oldies1390.com/cc-common/mainhe...&article=359898

Fargo South plays Rochester Century at 12:30 pm on Wednesday. Depending on whether they win or lose they'll play on Thursday at 12:15 pm or 4:45 pm against a yet to be determined opponent.

Edited by ND Hockey Guy

I was not able to attend the Legends game, but I heard that the Legends beat the Riders 12-4. Another thing that I heard was that Marc "10 Bears" Mihulka pulled his vaunted move, the Stop-O-Razi, on Nate Ziggelman. Mihulka then proceeded to go sit in his reserved seat on the Legends bench. From what I hear, this move was quite amazing, and is just another chapter in the book of amazing Mihulka feats.

Another great move was pulled off by none other than Ryan Potulny as he went down during the shootout bounced the puck off the inside of his skate than did a back handed toedrag with just the toe of his stick and then scored. Red River goalie Eli Rosendahl was slid over out of the crease from the move and had no chance to save it. I was impressed with Mihulka's move. He pulled it off against West Fargo I heard, but to pull it off on a D-1 goalie is impressive!

Just searching around the internet I found a link to South's tournament.

South Hockey Tournament

This is one of the better holiday tournament line ups this side of the Schwan's Cup. It's scary that South could come back to the 2nd half IMPROVED via this tournament. All 3 Rochester's and Hastings YIKES!!!

Another side note, maybe the west is WEAKER then we thought. The top team out there right now is Devils Lake who is 0-2 against the 7-8 teams from the East.

Edited by He Who Shoots Top Shelf

Just searching around the internet I found a link to South's tournament.

South Hockey Tournament

This is one of the better holiday tournament line ups this side of the Schwan's Cup. It's scary that South could come back to the 2nd half IMPROVED via this tournament. All 3 Rochester's and Hastings YIKES!!!

Another side note, maybe the west is WEAKER then we thought. The top team out there right now is Devils Lake who is 0-2 against the 7-8 teams from the East.

In the west's defense, I think Minot would have to be considered the top team since they beat devils lake this week. Bismarck High only lost to the East's top team 3-1(yes, i know the shots were absolutely rediculous, but if you can count on a goalie to keep you in every game like that, you have a chance to win any game you play).

In the west's defense, I think Minot would have to be considered the top team since they beat devils lake this week. Bismarck High only lost to the East's top team 3-1(yes, i know the shots were absolutely rediculous, but if you can count on a goalie to keep you in every game like that, you have a chance to win any game you play).

I agree with you Crosby 87 .... Minot has to be considered the top team in the west. They are now 32-2 in their last 34 games versus West Region opponents dating back to Feb. 1st, of 2004. (That includes winning the last 26 games straight v.s. West Region teams)

North Dakota hockey is terrible compared to MN. Only a couple of teams could compete in MN. Just thought I'd let everyone know because all of you are crazy about ND hockey.

So this is basically the same argument that certain east region North Dakota hockey fans make over and over again about the west region. WE KNOW!!!! The Vikings wear purple, the Packers are from Green Bay, and it snows in Minnesota in the winter time. WE KNOW THIS!!!!!

I bet it would be a lot more even if Minnesota schools weren't allowed to recruit kids for hockey programs.

So this is basically the same argument that certain east region North Dakota hockey fans make over and over again about the west region. WE KNOW!!!! The Vikings wear purple, the Packers are from Green Bay, and it snows in Minnesota in the winter time. WE KNOW THIS!!!!!

I bet it would be a lot more even if Minnesota schools weren't allowed to recruit kids for hockey programs.

The purpose of that comment was what? I have met some very talented hockey players from Minnesota who are also very nice people, and the conclusion that I've come is that it's the not so talented players/families that boast how much better their state is than North Dakota. It would also be wise of you to clarify what you mean by "North Dakota hockey", although I'm a Gopher fan myself, last time I checked UND boasts a fairly good program, no? Sure, Minnesota hockey is great. Your right though, North Dakota hockey is terrible compared to MN. Your case is clearly supported by the 4-4 score of the Fargo South vs. Moorhead (ranked #4 in MN) game.

Minnesota schools are not allowed to recruit players for their hockey programs. That doesn't mean that in some form it doesn't go on. In fact ex-Bloomington Jefferson coach Tom Saterdahlen (sp?) had some issues with a Academy of Holy Angels coach because he believed he was recruiting.

North Dakota hockey is terrible compared to MN. Only a couple of teams could compete in MN. Just thought I'd let everyone know because all of you are crazy about ND hockey.

What is the point of this comment? My goodness, could we be talking about ND hockey in an ND High School hockey thread??

You are so arrogant. Go back to your own message board so you can give yourself all the pats on the backs you want.

We're here to support our state and our high school's young athletes. If you can't understand that and wish to degrade and put us down, fine. Do so at your own site.

IGNORED.

Edited by redwing77

What is the point of this comment? My goodness, could we be talking about ND hockey in an ND High School hockey thread??

You are so arrogant. Go back to your own message board so you can give yourself all the pats on the backs you want.

We're here to support our state and our high school's young athletes. If you can't understand that and wish to degrade and put us down, fine. Do so at your own site.

IGNORED.

Living in Mn. I see mostly Mn. hockey. Should one care to remove their blinders they will see there are many Mn teams who would have trouble competing with the best ND teams year in and year out. Red River beat EGF this year and they have been mentioned in the Mn. polls and just tied Warroad last week. Fargo South tied Moorhead as mentioned by a previous poster.

The Gophers wouldn't beat Mankato this year withuot the two N.Dak. defectors on their team.

Before I would be dumb enough to make that comment, I would at least wait until after the Christmas tourneys when there is a lot of interstate play. Mn. has more teams and certainly more kids playing so overall, odds are, you will have more good teams in Mn that N.Dak. I think overall N.Dak. may be down a bit this year, esp in the west, but you don't know hockey if you think good N.Dak. hockey isn't on par with Mn. Over the years history will tell us otherwise.

Living in Mn. I see mostly Mn. hockey. Should one care to remove their blinders they will see there are many Mn teams who would have trouble competing with the best ND teams year in and year out. Red River beat EGF this year and they have been mentioned in the Mn. polls and just tied Warroad last week. Fargo South tied Moorhead as mentioned by a previous poster.

The Gophers wouldn't beat Mankato this year withuot the two N.Dak. defectors on their team.

Before I would be dumb enough to make that comment, I would at least wait until after the Christmas tourneys when there is a lot of interstate play. Mn. has more teams and certainly more kids playing so overall, odds are, you will have more good teams in Mn that N.Dak. I think overall N.Dak. may be down a bit this year, esp in the west, but you don't know hockey if you think good N.Dak. hockey isn't on par with Mn. Over the years history will tell us otherwise.

Good Point! Minnesota has how many people in their state compared to North Dakota. I'm also pretty sure that they have a city that is fairly big called Minneapolis. There is more competition down in the cities because of the AA teams that have a population of like 50,000. That's ridiculous how some cities have like a 50,000 people and they have one team. I would like to see an all Grand Forks team and an all Fargo team play Minnesota hockey. In the past years they wouldn't even have any competition if both of these cities had one team. I also like how the two North Dakota Elite teams finished second in both the Elite 1 and 2 leagues. This show that North Dakota hockey can compete with Minnesota's hockey.

Edited by ND Hockey1

Did I say that every team couldn't compete in MN, NO, I said a couple of teams could compete in MN. You could take a couple of teams in ND and they would pot up a fight. You take Red River HS and Fargo South HS they could compete. You mentioned that Red River beat EGF, give me a break, EGF is terrible. You combine Red River and Central this year and you can take them up and play the Holy Angels, we will see how that goes. Also with your Elite League comment. North Dakota puts 1 team together for Elite 2. How many does MN put together, 9.

Good Point! Minnesota has how many people in their state compared to North Dakota. I'm also pretty sure that they have a city that is fairly big called Minneapolis. There is more competition down in the cities because of the AA teams that have a population of like 50,000. That's ridiculous how some cities have like a 50,000 people and they have one team. I would like to see an all Grand Forks team and an all Fargo team play Minnesota hockey. In the past years they wouldn't even have any competition if both of these cities had one team. I also like how the two North Dakota Elite teams finished second in both the Elite 1 and 2 leagues. This show that North Dakota hockey can compete with Minnesota's hockey.

MNHockey9 is just another example of the analytically impaired, emotionally stunted, little braggarts that surface from time to time on high school hockey boards. Sometimes we even have locals who act like that. In any case, as pointed out above by NDHockey1 the North Dakota Elite team finished tied for second this year ahead of 7 MInnesota section teams and Shattuck and Wisconsin. That was a team composed of all North Dakota kids. The Elite I team had a great ending to their season as well playing for the championship of their league. That team was approximately one-half Minnesota and one-half North Dakota kids. The North Dakota kids contributed 107 points and the Minnesota kids contributed 108 points (total goals and assists). As NDHockey1 points out, if you create North Dakota teams based on community population sizes as in some large Minnesota cities you would have teams just as good as many of the top Minnesota teams. Also, if you match some of the weaker ND teams with Minnesota communities with shorter hockey histories and level of community support and hockey culture the performance comparisons will be similar in most cases. Also, if you happen to go to one of the Gopher Hockey sites (Gopher Puck Live) you will see the big write up on how two North Dakota kids playing for the Gophers led the U of M to two wins over a great team like the UND Sioux.

MNHockey9 is just another example of the analytically impaired, emotionally stunted, little braggarts that surface from time to time on high school hockey boards. Sometimes we even have locals who act like that. In any case, as pointed out above by NDHockey1 the North Dakota Elite team finished tied for second this year ahead of 7 MInnesota section teams and Shattuck and Wisconsin. That was a team composed of all North Dakota kids. The Elite I team had a great ending to their season as well playing for the championship of their league. That team was approximately one-half Minnesota and one-half North Dakota kids. the North Dakota kids contributed 107 points and the Minnesota kids contributed 108 points (total goals and assists). As NDHockey1 points out, if you create North Dakota teams based on community population sizes as in some large Minnesota cities you would have teams just as good as many of the top Minnesota teams. Also, if you match some of the weaker ND teams with Minnesota communities with shorter hockey histories and level of community support and hockey culture the performance comparisons will be similar in most cases. Also, if you happen to go to one of the Gopher Hockey sites (Gopher Puck Live) you will see the big write up on how two North Dakota kids playing for the Gophers led the U of M to two wins over a great team like the UND Sioux.

Did I say that every team couldn't compete in MN, NO, I said a couple of teams could compete in MN. You could take a couple of teams in ND and they would pot up a fight. You take Red River HS and Fargo South HS they could compete. You mentioned that Red River beat EGF, give me a break, EGF is terrible. You combine Red River and Central this year and you can take them up and play the Holy Angels, we will see how that goes. Also with your Elite League comment. North Dakota puts 1 team together for Elite 2. How many does MN put together, 9.

Holy Angeles is a poor example as they are a private school and have a hockey program that is a magnet for quality players. Your comment about North Dakota putting together 1 team in Elite II compared to 9 for Minnesota - well Minnesota has approximately 8 times as many people as North Dakota so based on a proportion of population comparison they should have that many teams - so your point on the number of Minnesota teams does not statistically support your point. There are a variety of other variables that you ignore or are unaware of in your comparisons (population growth, age composition of the two states, in-migration/out-migration rates, state sponsored support for hockey (Mighty Ducks legistation in the past), etc, etc. Maybe you could contribute something to the discussion if you did some research into the situation rather than simply run down another area. Why even bother to come onto this board and make negative statements? Does that make you feel better?

Holy Angeles is a poor example as they are a private school and have a hockey program that is a magnet for quality players. Your comment about North Dakota putting together 1 team in Elite II compared to 9 for Minnesota - well Minnesota has approximately 8 times as many people as North Dakota so based on a proportion of population comparison they should have that many teams - so your point on the number of Minnesota teams does not statistically support your point. There are a variety of other variables that you ignore or are unaware of in your comparisons (population growth, age composition of the two states, in-migration/out-migration rates, state sponsored support for hockey (Mighty Ducks legistation in the past), etc, etc. Maybe you could contribute something to the discussion if you did some research into the situation rather than simply run down another area. Why even bother to come onto this board and make negative statements? Does that make you feel better?

No it does statisically support my answer your telling me that in every section of MN hockey they have 600,000 people give me a break buddy, you are getting all worked up about nothing. Chill out. Anyone can talk about anything on these threads.

MNHockey9 is just another example of the analytically impaired, emotionally stunted, little braggarts that surface from time to time on high school hockey boards. Sometimes we even have locals who act like that. In any case, as pointed out above by NDHockey1 the North Dakota Elite team finished tied for second this year ahead of 7 MInnesota section teams and Shattuck and Wisconsin. That was a team composed of all North Dakota kids. The Elite I team had a great ending to their season as well playing for the championship of their league. That team was approximately one-half Minnesota and one-half North Dakota kids. the North Dakota kids contributed 107 points and the Minnesota kids contributed 108 points (total goals and assists). As NDHockey1 points out, if you create North Dakota teams based on community population sizes as in some large Minnesota cities you would have teams just as good as many of the top Minnesota teams. Also, if you match some of the weaker ND teams with Minnesota communities with shorter hockey histories and level of community support and hockey culture the performance comparisons will be similar in most cases. Also, if you happen to go to one of the Gopher Hockey sites (Gopher Puck Live) you will see the big write up on how two North Dakota kids playing for the Gophers led the U of M to two wins over a great team like the UND Sioux.

Since when are people caring about college hockey. Im talking about HS hockey. I know that Irmen and Potulny both went to Red River. I never once said that ND didnt have great players, all I said is overall MN is 10 times better than ND hockey. Come on, the west hockey in ND is a joke.

Since when are people caring about college hockey. Im talking about HS hockey. I know that Irmen and Potulny both went to Red River. I never once said that ND didnt have great players, all I said is overall MN is 10 times better than ND hockey. Come on, the west hockey in ND is a joke.

Well, the point is that obviously, college hockey players come from high school programs and there are a lot of high school programs in North Dakota - from the east and west - that have produced good high school players that have gone on to play college hockey. An indicator of the talent pool in high school is the production of college players - that is why I brought that into the discussion to broaden and deepen the basis of the analysis.

Minnesota has more quality players than North Dakota on an absolute basis - because they have a larger population base - that is a simple statistical fact. Minnesota hockey is nearly 10 times bigger than North Dakota hockey. Your comment that overall MN is 10 times better than ND hockey is meaningless because you have not specified any measurable criteria for arriving at your conclusion. It is just a subjective pronouncement.

Your comment about North Dakota hockey out west is profound. Tell us something new please. The programs out there have not been around for that long. The infrastructure of support, fan base, tradition, culture has never been there and probably will never develop to a very high level. So-should they quit playing hockey because they are not as good as Duluth East or Bloomington Jefferson?

In Minnesota there is a tremendous synergy of variables that works in powerful ways to make the state a great source for high school hockey players. If you reproduce those variables in other parts of the country you will have similar results. Why run down another area because they do not have those synergies? You could take the same situation and say for example, "I'm from Texas/California and Minnesota high school football is a joke." Or, I'm compared to California, Minnesota track and field is a joke and they can't compete with us.

Without some understanding of the demographic issues, culture of support for the sport etc, the discussion just falls to the level of emotionally based pronouncements - we are better than you are - blah, blah, blah, rather than insightful contributions such as - Here are various ways to improve the infrastructure of the sport so it can be played at a higher level.

Just some facts :

Minnesota polulation - 4,919,479 (Dec, 2000)

North Dakota population - 642,200 (Dec, 2000)

Minnesota - 72 Class AA H.S. hockey teams, 85 Class A teams (157 total)

North Dakota - 18 H.S. hockey teams

Minnesota is approximately 8 times larger than North Dakota in population. But 10 times better is hockey?

I think not. Do both states had good and bad hockey teams? Yes.

MNHockey9 .... you said East Grand Forks is a terrible hockey team? How did they tie Warroad last week then? I see Warroad is ranked # 10 out of 85 Class A Minnesota hockey teams. Hmmm.

I guess we'll see how far behind our hockey is over Holiday Tournament time, about half of the North Dakota teams are headed to play Minneosta teams, we'll see how our best team fairs down in Rochester playing a team who made the state tournament. Hopefully you do not live in Roseau because Jamestown & Bismarck High are bad examples of our state this year. It really depends on the year whether our hockey can compete with Minnesota, I recall a very good Grand Forks Central team a few years back who ran the table on all their Minnesota opponents including a 2nd place Warroad team. Maybe an ND school could have won Minnesota that year ;)