SiouxSports.com Forum

Is UND Hockey Still the Underdog?

chandler23

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand Minnesota has took advantage of hosting regionals. We will never know if they would have got to the frozen Four without home ice in 2003 and 2005.  And the NCAA wants nuetral sites, why does Minnesota get to  host regionals at Mariucci on the olypmic sized ice sheet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the '03 Gophers were on a virtually unstoppable roll. Maybe facing Michigan at Yost might have beaten them since Michigan was so close to beating them anyways.

The '05 Gophers probably don't emerge from Mariucci if UND/CC or DU would have been present. Would they have beaten Cornell and Maine at an Eastern venue? They would have had to get the breaks, just like they required them at Mariucci.

I really hope UND makes the tourney and hosts a successful regional. Does anyone know if they are going to sell regional tickets with the season tickets or if they will be handled separately?

Does anyone know if they are going to sell regional tickets with the season tickets or if they will be handled separately?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure they will be handled separately. The question is, when is any of this information going to be released. About a month a half ago, Chris Semrau at The Ralph said on radio interview that details about the regional would be released in the next couple of weeks. Well, we are still waiting. lol

Given the excitement of the Gophers recruiting class (Kessel, etc.) I fully expect the Gophers to be a #1 seed up in GF this year. And given what UND has lost (especially if Smaby leaves), I'm predicting UND a #2 seed.

Let's just skip the regular season and go to this game.

Given the excitement of the Gophers recruiting class (Kessel, etc.) I fully expect the Gophers to be a #1 seed up in GF this year. And given what UND has lost (especially if Smaby leaves), I'm predicting UND a #2 seed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might be forgetting our obnoxious league members from the southwest. With the Gophers SOFT schedule this coming year, the number one is going to be just as close as it was this season despite the likelyhood of the Gophers having a better record. If either one of them finishes higher than the Gophers, they would likely have priority to the Ralph even if the Gophers were to gain a number one seed.

My early prediction would be that UND and either CC or DU will be at the Ralph, with the Gophs and UW in Green Bay, and the lucky Colorado school heading east.

I think there would be a lot of Irony if Denver ends up in Grand Forks and Minnesota ends up in the Wisconsin region. Denver ended our season the last 2 years and Minnesota got Kessel over Wisconsin. Wisconsin is going to be VERY good next year. They wont have to leave the state. They were real young this last season. Denver has almost everyone back. If Matt Carle stays, I would say they are the favorite.

I think there would be a lot of Irony if Denver ends up in Grand Forks and Minnesota ends up in the Wisconsin region.  Denver ended our season the last 2 years and Minnesota got Kessel over Wisconsin.  Wisconsin is going to be VERY good next year. They wont have to leave the state. They were real young this last season.  Denver has almost everyone back.  If Matt Carle stays, I would say they are the favorite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I looking at the correct roster for Denver? I count 7 seniors, I don't think that equates to having almost everyone back. I call that major losses. And most of them were decent to real good players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D;):)

Here's a question here that nobody has brought up.  How come Denver never gets to host the WCHA Final Five??  They got an arena out there that could hold it.  Why Not??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Denver and/or CC (or the city of Denver) have ever bid on the Final Five. I wish they would, a week skiing & watching hockey would fit well into my schedule.

Am I looking at the correct roster for Denver?  I count 7 seniors, I don't think that equates to having almost everyone back.  I call that major losses.  And most of them were decent to real good players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to say it, but DU has reclaimed its position as a college hockey superpower. Starting with them beating an virtually unstoppable UND team in the '99 WCHA playoffs. Being the best team in the country in '01-'02 and of course there recent titles in '03-'04 and '04-'05.

I don't think they will be going away anytime soon. If Skinner and Carle decide to try their hand at professional hockey next season, then they will suffer in the short term.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good call, chandler23. Perhaps while we're at it, we can rewind the tape of the big showdown at the end of this past season and watch it again. You know the one...where #1 UMD takes on #2 UND for all the marbles in the Final Five. :) There's a reason why they play the games. Polls and expectations don't decide anything...well, unless you're NCAA football, but that's another post for another forum.

Good call, chandler23.  Perhaps while we're at it, we can rewind the tape of the big showdown at the end of this past season and watch it again.  You know the one...where #1 UMD takes on #2 UND for all the marbles in the Final Five.  :)  There's a reason why they play the games.  Polls and expectations don't decide anything...well, unless you're NCAA football, but that's another post for another forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks MafiaMan for the reminder that there's a reason why they play the games. ;)

Wait...what? Polls and expectations don't decide anything? Good to know.

Yawn.

Hey look...I can do the eye-rolling guy, too.

Even though my predictions don't mean anything, I'm still going UMN a #1 and UND a #2. Denver is probably a #1 (with a series of 1-0 victories all season), but my hope is they go to Green Bay. (Hopefully to play a #2 Sconi team.)

That btw, just edged out UND in the Final Five tourney championship...in overtime...on a fluke goal. And if you're wondering...The Gophers win the third-place game 5-2 (Kessel hat trick...again).

What are you going to do when all players are allowed to hang on Kessel and he gets a penalty for pushing a player off of him?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's different. They will be hanging on him out of love and respect. :)

When Kessel is getting held, I shall agree with Woog that a penalty should be called.

When Kessel is pushing people off of him and he gets two minutes, I shall agree with Woog that a penalty should not have been called.

I think this post is about dead...thanks for all that contributed. I've learned a lot.

What are you going to do when all players are allowed to hang on Kessel and he gets a penalty for pushing a player off of him?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Mom can hold a press conference on ESPN and complain about Shephard and crew. :)