SiouxSports.com Forum

Patty Sertich

NorthDakotaHockey

After a long and courageous bout with brain cancer, Patty Sertich, the momma of Hobey Baker award winner Marty Sertich, passed away at her home in Roseville on Saturday. She was 52.

Marty was presented the Hobey Award on Thursday in Minneapolis, Friday was Marty Sertich Day in Minnesota. He threw out the first pitch at the Twins game.

The Sertiches spent the last half of the season in Colorado College following Marty and the team, where his younger brother Mike also walked on successfully. Most of you probably know that the Sertich name is legendary in Colorado Springs and the Twin Cities, as well as in the WCHA. Long-time UMD and Michigan Tech coach Mike is Marty and Mike's uncle. Their father, Steve, was a standout for CC in the 70's, and was also a member of the '76 Olympic squad. There is an arena in Colorado Springs named after the family.

Many local media are reporting that Marty was named the Hobey winner just this past Thursday, and that his Momma hung on to life long enough to see this award. This makes for a good story for the televisions. Typical. Of course, the actual presentation was in Columbus. Because we live in Roseville, my daughter and I made up a real nice sign for the presentation "Roseville Loves the Sertiches / Marty for Hobey." The Sertiches could not have been more gracious and grateful. They are a class act all the way around, just as Colorado College is a class program.

Here is saying that Marty will ride this emotion to accomplish something that has never been done, best I recall. Back-to-back Hobeys.

More proof that only the good die young.

ps. Advance apologies to those who might feel this is posted in the wrong area. Seems to me that with the Hobey and the history, this is the better venue of the others.

I don't know about b-to-b Hobey, but this speaks volumes to the Sertich family's strength and class. Marty played the season with a heavy, heavy heart and turned in a great performance. And Patty was in the stands to watch as many games as she could. She was the consumate hockey mom, in the most postive sense.

Patty and the entire Sertich family is in my prayers.

Thanks for the story, NorthDakotaHockey. I can't imagine the stress of playing and knowing that every game you play might be the last time your mom sees you in action. I've always had a lot of respect for the CC program and how they play the game. Marty Sertich is an prime example of Tiger pride and class. May God be with the Sertich family at this time.

I cried when I saw the story on the news last night. I saw her at the Frozen Four at the autograph signing for the Hobey finalists. She looked amazingly happy and proud of her son. I thought it was wonderful that the family was able to spend as much time together as they did before she passed away. They were also honored by the Governor declaring it Marty Sertich day on Friday and Marty threw out the opening pitch at the Twins game. It was a very nice story.

My sincerest sympathy to the family. Losing a parent and wife at such a young age is more than most can bear. I believe the strenght and love for each other they displayed this past year will get them through this time of sorrow as well. God Bless.

Many local media are reporting that Marty was named the Hobey winner just this past Thursday, and that his Momma hung on to life long enough to see this award.  This makes for a good story for the televisions.  Typical.  Of course, the actual presentation was in Columbus.  Because we live in Roseville, my daughter and I made up a real nice sign for the presentation "Roseville Loves the Sertiches / Marty for Hobey."  The Sertiches could not have been more gracious and grateful.  They are a class act all the way around, just as Colorado College is a class program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are referring to the actual Award dinner which may, I don't know, be when the winner is officially given the Award as opposed to being announced as winner. FYI, your family was visible on the broadcast which is available on hobeybaker.com.

My prayers go out to Patty and the Sertich family.Tough to lose a parent so young to cancer as my Dad died of colon cancer when he was 46 and I was a senior in high school.I believe Marty is going to have a huge year next season and win back to back Hobeys.

The funeral service was yesterday in Roseville. Very sad, and very cathartic.

Marty, Mike, their sister Sara, and hubby Steve all spoke, along with a raft of others.

Bruce Brothers has a reasonably good story in today's Pioneer Press about the service. I'd link it here but do not have the time to do so right now.

Scott Owens was there with his bride. A number of CC players were there as well. Brett Sterling was one of the pallbearers. Class moves by a class organization.

There were alot of old hockey salts in the crowd. Alot of guys with weathered faces and broken noses. Throwbacks to the days when hockey was practiced and learned outside in the bitter cold, and when hockey helmets and facemasks were the exception rather than the rule.

A better send-off Patty could not have had. One heck of a wife, momma, sister, daughter, and friend. Wish that we had known her better.