SiouxSports.com Forum

Are you happy with this season?

Fedorov

How does the season compare to your expectations?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How does the season compare to your expectations?

• Better than expected
    • It is what I expected
    • It was worse than I expected

Tough question to answer. Before the season started, I thought the Sioux had a chance to go all the way. However, given everything that's happened, the season ended far better than I expected.

Tough question to answer. Before the season started, I thought the Sioux had a chance to go all the way. However, given everything that's happened, the season ended far better than I expected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The good reporter asks the tough questions. :ohmy:

Brady Murray was expected to be this teams offensive leader. Given that he was a non-factor most of the season and the teams sub-par performance right up until two months ago, there can only be one answer. Runner-up is always a tough pill to swallow but I am still pleased that they managed to make it this far.

I say much better than expected. I didn't realize that a rebuilding year would end up in the National Championship game. The team had it's struggles, but they sure put on a good performance when then needed to get it done.

Thank you for an exciting season!

I'm personally very happy with this teams season, obviously the outcome on Saturday night wasn't what I had hoped for but the experience the underclassmen got this year can only help the future of the team.

Evidently we need to look forward to the 2007 season - Some Gopher fans have posted the arrogant position of laying claim to the 2006 title already. Can you believe that?  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed Gopher fans and arrogant in the same sentence, I certainly can believe that.

With all the ups & downs this team went thru all year, it was a suprise to see them go as far as they did. Its something the team can build on for next season and bring home the big hardware. Im a very proud of what they accomplished this year.

Even with the change of head coaches and loss of big scorers to the pros, I expected a big year, mainly because of our seniors. I was disappointed early in the year and my expectations dropped. Happily, the team's leadership, talent and hard work ended the season higher than my expectations. They awed me with their fantastic, almost miraculous comeback! We played twice at the FF. Two months ago, no one in college hockey expected us to be in the Final Five let alone play a game in the FF. AND we handily beat those dirty Gophers in both tournaments ??? . Gawd, I love Sioux hockey. ???

I am very happy with this season and very proud of the guys.

The only thing I couldn't stomach was watching Geoff Paukovich celebrate a national championship while Robbie Bina stood on the sidelines. It made me want to puke.

I was proud of the guys for shaking his hand at the end (not sure if I would have). They may not have made eye contact with his, including Coach Hakstol, but they at least shook his hand. Just another sign of more class from the Sioux.

i'm one of the four (as of right now) that is on the negative side, only because i am of the mindset that with the recruits we get and the program that we are privelaged to be a part of as fans that we are a national championship caliber team every year. I am by no means crapping on the season that the sioux had, they had an excellent season, by most people accounts, did better than they were supposed to. I don't think that by losing bo and zach that our chances deminished greatly. Obviously losing them hurts, but as a team sport goes, someone else has to step up and take their place in the lineup. I think that zajac and sparky stepped up huge and played better than freshman (as expected). I also think that brady being hurt most of the season and being a non factor is something that happens in sports, you deal with it, and keep on trucking. He was expected to be a huge part of this offense, and when he went down, it was on someone else's shoulders to step up and perhaps change his roll, move up a line, work a little harder to fill in and contribute a little differently than was expected. I think that the way this team is built, year in and year out, that anyone can play any role they are put into. I'm even willing to bet that if Smaby or Greene was asked to be less physical and jump into the play and help offensively, that they would be able to step up and do it. I was hard on Hak in the beginning of the year, not calling for his head, but saying if the first half of the year continued through the end of the year and next year, he would be gone......not for his system, not for what he is trying to get accomplished, but because this team and these players are expected to play with heart, with class, and balls to the walls for 40 games plus and even though it us up to the players to execute, it is on the head coach and HIS staff to motivate them to do so. As much as i hated doing it when i played, the "bag skate" was probably the best thing for this years team and look what happened. They started to play the way they were supposed to, the way Fighting Sioux hockey is played and got themselves to the championship game in the Frozen Four, giving themselves a chance to accomplish their ultimate team goal set at the beginning of their freshman seasons, or perhaps the minute they make their decision to sign the dotted line on the nat'l letter of intent. These kids finished this season the way we all expected and the way the entire program expected these kids to play. I as a fan, and i know they as players are all disappointed in the way the final game ended, but nobody is ashamed or disapointed in this team. They only finished the season the way that they all expect themselves to finish. They all expect to be the best, that is why they come here to play. That is why they play in the first place. I am disappointed that they did not win a national championship, but i am more than pleased that this team gave themselves the opportunity to win it by not cheating themselves and playing the way they expect themselves to play. Congrats to the Fighting Sioux on a hell of a season and here's expecting a chance to play for number 8 come next april. GO SIOUX!!! ???

Considering what happened in the off season coming to this year with losing big name players I didn't think we were really going to go anywhere. AS the season progressed it did not look good at all but when playoffs came the Sioux seemed to become a family and worked together to acheive a common goal......play in the NATIONAL TITLE game and by god they played their butts off and got there. I cannot wait to see what is going to be instore for next year. Hope Hakstol remembers what he did in the touneys and brings it to next season for the Sioux. I'm predicting good times for the Sioux in 2005-2006. FIGHT ON SIOUX!!!!

With a new coach, and losing Parise and Bochenski, I'd say this season was a great success. I would have never guessed back in January that I would still be watching Sioux hockey this past weekend. I'm really looking forward to next year. Zajac, Jordan P,. and Spirko have alot of potential to be great college players and I really hope Stafford and Greene stick around for next year. If they do I am confident that another Frozen Four appearance is all but a lock.

I would like to know if the four votes are from Sioux fans or Gopher trolls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm one of the four (as of right now) that is on the negative side, only because i am of the mindset that with the recruits we get and the program that we are privelaged to be a part of as fans that we are a national championship caliber team every year.

I back up my statement 100%, albeit in a positive light.

As for next years hockey, Kessel is good, but Stafford was the best Team USA player on the ice at the World Juniors. If anyone says anything differently, they were watching a different team...and besides, it takes more than one or two guys, or the sioux would have won it in 2004.

I agree with that 100%. I attended the World Juniors and, yes, Kessel is one hell of a one-on-one player. The moves he made in the Sweden game were definitely highlight material. But as for the rest of his game, it needs considerable work. He definitely came up short in two-way play, setting up his linemates, and creating opportunities when it wasn't one-on-one. He even appeared to pull a Vanek and totally disappear in some games. Stafford was the opposite, Yes he did some goal scoring, but he also created opportunities for others and wracked up the assists.

That is what this great run by the Sioux demonstrated by many Sioux players. It was pure hockey effort, not by players who won awards and accolades, but by guys who believed in themselves and each other -- playing with unselfishness, heart, and desire. An incredible display of team hockey.

And as great as that was to watch, I seriously doubt that any team could have maintained that level of intensity over an entire season without burning out at some point. They did not have a Bochenski or Parise (offensively) that could carry them through the tough spots. In my book, when I look at the entire season, they exceeded my expectations. Congratulations on one hell of a ride.