SiouxSports.com Forum

Baylor wins Women's Final Four

nodakvindy

Baylor just won the NCAA women's basketball championship. Their road to the title has a lot of similarities to what the Sioux face.

Beat a #1 seed to reach Final Four

Beat three #1 seeds to win title

Lone #2 seed joining three #1 seeds in Final Four

Beat tournament's overall #1 seed

Beat Minnesota in the tournament

Hopefully the Sioux can follow path blazed by the Lady Bears!

If Hockeymom says its a sport, then it's a sport.  End Debate.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheerleading is a sport but not the UND hockey cheer/dance team. They don't do any of the stunts, which is the only part I appreciate

Nothing I do on the way to class... ie make a couple left turns is a sport, NASCAR is a joke

Bowling, come on it has to be a sport otherwise; we would lose those hilarious ESPN commercials.

"Nothing I do on the way to class... ie make a couple left turns is a sport, NASCAR is a joke"

Yepdude you are a joke

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU SAYING NASCAR IS A JOKE!! I would have to say that nascar is one of the most extreme sports there is, have you ever seen what they can do in a 12 sec. pit stop, i love all sports but nascar is the one that amazes me the most. If you dont think it is a sport what are your reasons?:lol:?

"Nothing I do on the way to class... ie make a couple left turns is a sport, NASCAR is a  joke"

Yepdude you are a joke

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU SAYING NASCAR IS A JOKE!!  I would have to say that nascar is one of the most extreme sports there is, have you ever seen what they can do in a 12 sec. pit stop, i love all sports but nascar is the one that amazes me the most.  If you dont think it is a sport  what are your reasons?:lol:?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok...you have a point, but then the athletes in Nascar are the pit people, who also double as bowling pins sometimes.....so maybe bowling and Nascar are sports afterall.

Cheerleading is still on the non-sport list, even though they can count to F.

"Nothing I do on the way to class... ie make a couple left turns is a sport, NASCAR is a  joke"

Yepdude you are a joke

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU SAYING NASCAR IS A JOKE!!  I would have to say that nascar is one of the most extreme sports there is, have you ever seen what they can do in a 12 sec. pit stop, i love all sports but nascar is the one that amazes me the most.  If you dont think it is a sport  what are your reasons?:lol:?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope.

I think the only thing athletic about NASCAR is endurance that's needed to maintain pressure on the gas pedal for 2 hours plus.

It takes concentration, sure, but so does chess, and that's not a sport. NASCAR is a game.

Hell, I'll tell you this much: If NASCAR outlawed alcohol, the ratings would then be worse than hockey's is right now. A NASCAR race, in order to be remotely interesting, should be maybe 20 laps total. No pit stops (although the pit crews are truly the only athletes at the track), no cautions unless the driver of the crash car (cars) are in danger if the race keeps going as it is, no penalties. Sure, the race would only take maybe 30 minutes but it wouldn't be boring. Even then, though, it wouldn't be a sport.

Bowling and cheerleading are sports due to the athletic nature of the games.

First: What the H-E-double hockey sticks does this have to do do with hockey?

Second: Even though I am no fan of NASCAR racing, it has to be considered a sport. It involves endurance. It involves coordination. It takes a lot skill and a certain amount of athletic ability to drive those cars.

The biggest problem here is people labeling sports they don't happen to like as non-sports. Just because you don't like a sport doesn't mean that it's not a sport.

NASCAR is a game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sure have seen a lot of hockey...err...matches...deals...things...events over the last several months. Apparently I can no longer call them games because if I do, rw77 will say that hockey is no longer a sport, and we can't have that. :lol:

It has nothing to do with hockey, but it's been kinda fun.

And you're right we shouldn't be labeling things we don't like not as sports. That's why cheerleading isn't a sport. :D

I guess it would be if you put a pair of hockey skates on one and let me put on my hockey gear. :lol:

I sure have seen a lot of hockey...err...matches...deals...things...events over the last several months. Apparently I can no longer call them games because if I do, rw77 will say that hockey is no longer a sport, and we can't have that. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand what you are saying, PCM, but I generally look at the definitions of a game and a sport by the definitions given to me in Frank White's Sociology of Sport course.

Hockey is a sport. NASCAR is considered, true, to be a sport by sports sociologists, but it is rather close to a gray area as it really is the car doing the majority of the work. The same can be argued about jockeys of horse racing really. Those two sports require very little athleticism. Chess, poker, blackjack, and bridge are all games, not sports. Gray area sports/games include all racing that isn't done on foot or foot-pedal powered vehicles (such as bikes and ice skates), darts, billiards, etc.

Why get this detailed? Because without this deliniation, then poker should have no problem being included in the olympic games and, for that matter, blackjack and pinnocle as well.

But, that being said, even if you all think I'm wrong, I agree with PCM and that this isn't appropriate for this part of the board. So this will be my last post.