SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND Plan

UND Fan

Interesting article in today's Herald - both about UND in general and Division I athletics.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/n...al/11215237.htm

UND: Next new plan

Revised strategic road map for school up for discussion

UND officials want to move the school to within the top 100 doctoral/research universities in the United States and do it in a way that successors might move it into the top 50.

The new plan also says UND should continue to explore moving more of its athletic offerings to the NCAA Division I level.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Do NOT paste complete articles into the forums. Post links and key excerpts. Respect the copyrights of others. Thank you. -- GDM, Forums Moderator, SiouxSports.com

maybe I should post Chapman's State of the University addresses from the past five years, you guys are only about that far behind :lol:

and looking into a downtown campus very innovative :sad:

of course nothing says leadership like focusing on building a 19 million dollar parking ramp :lol:

in all seriousness, I think that Kupchella is on the right track. And I think it would be a great benefit to the State if UND continues to mature into a world class research university. His top 50 is probably unattainable, but why not aim high?

I don't know how it could be done, probably with a little 'help' from our congressional delegation, but UND is missing out big time in medical research dollars.

maybe I should post Chapman's State of the University addresses from the past five years, you guys are only about that far behind  :sad:

Are you sure?

This is Strategic Plan II.

Chapman's first plan (and subsequent addresses) came out in between UND's I and II, didn't they?

The increased fund raising is key to many of the new initiatives UND would like to try. Not yet included in the draft is a wish list of sorts of initiatives and goals UND would like to pursue.

They include new, and in some cases expensive, academic programs such as aeronautical engineering, an atmospheric science partnership with NASA, dentistry and veterinary science.

isn't that a "cow college" program?

Actually, Dentisty seems like it would be a natural fit into the medical school. Now that it has been brought up, I am kind of supprised that UND doesn't already have some sort of program in Dentistry. I believe that NDSCS has a dentistry program but do any of the other schools in ND have any such program?