SiouxSports.com Forum

University Funding

The Sicatoka

I've been following this for a while. I'm surprised it hasn't come up here before now.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=85571

Unexpected NDUS costs sting:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=85558

How bad is it?

"During Thursday's (03/10/05) board meeting at Bismarck State College, NDSU President Joseph Chapman said the university may fall into default if a report on federal funds isn't finished by an April 15 deadline."

An extra $6.5 million to spread around from the Legislature?

The key graphic: http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/stories/funding.jpg

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11155819.htm

[url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=86150

I think you might want to segregate your links (and maybe create a new thread) to discuss the equity issue and the connectnd issue separately.

With regards to the latter, I am surprised that there hasn't been more press on UND's experiences in implementing PeopleSoft.

Very discouraging. This is a huge deal for NDSU alumni and students because, just like it has been for decades, NDSU students pay almost exactly the same tuition as their counterparts at UND but get significantly less back from the state (we're talking $1000 less per student per year).

It was the same when I went to NDSU in the '80s. Every time I wrote a tuition check, I felt like a good chunk of it was going to subsidize some UND student's education.

Anyway, I don't feel like this money should be taken from UND. It would be nice if UND would actually help, but I gotta tell you, from my perspective, it seems like UND's top funding priority is increasing that per student differential.

It sure would be refreshing to open the paper someday and see a quote from Svedjan, Kingsbury, Clayburg, or Kupchella even acknowledging that there is a problem.

I don't get why it matters what percentage of funding there is compared to other schools the NDUS picked for them to compare themselves, there "peer institutions." UND then hopes that their "peer institution" get greater funding while they stay the same, hence reducing UND to NDSU and others around the states level.

Valley City 95% :D doesn't mean squat, but apparently some people want us to believe Valley City is overfunded.

I don't get why it matters what percentage of funding there is compared to other schools the NDUS picked for them to compare themselves, there "peer institutions."  UND then hopes that their "peer institution" get greater funding while they stay the same, hence reducing UND to NDSU and others around the states level.

Valley City 95%  :D  doesn't mean squat, but apparently some people want us to believe Valley City is overfunded.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's not quite right, in 2000 (or around then) they identified peers and their funding levels and have since adjusted those numbers using the CPI

i agree that it's a tremendously flawed methodology, but that's what everyone uses

UND also uses those numbers to gripe about their underfunding

the number that matters, at least to me, is that NDSU gets about 1k less per student than UND, and substantially less than the smaller schools around the tune of 2-3k

i was using the letter k to represent 1,000

i think that ndsu is looking for 1) attention to the problem, which they are getting and then 2) a legitimate plan to address the problem

the sooner, the better

but i'm only guessing, one would have to ask the administration what they are looking for

i'm sure they'd be happy to have $10,000,000 added to their base funding this year, but that probably isn't going to happen

It was the same when I went to NDSU in the '80s.  Every time I wrote a tuition check, I felt like a good chunk of it was going to subsidize some UND student's education.

No, your check went to NDSU. A UND student's check went to UND. And some retired, fixed-income widow's tax money to Bismarck went to both.

It sure would be refreshing to open the paper someday and see a quote from Svedjan, Kingsbury, Clayburg, or Kupchella even acknowledging that there is a problem.

It'd be refreshing if the State had the money to spend. It'd be refreshing if the NDUS members would come up with a proposal as a unified group and not have different factions working different agendas on different parts of the Legislature. (I blame Potts for not holding the group together there.)

Personally, I could free up a lot of NDUS dollars, of course people in Bottineau, Williston, and Devils Lake wouldn't be happy. Nor would folks in Mayville and Valley City.