SiouxSports.com Forum

Larimore @Grafton

dj_hoime

The show of sportsmanship by the grafton spoilers Fans at the boys basketball game was horrible. Lar had the lead with 9.6 sec left. grafton came down the cort and shot it, it missed and they got the rebound and putit up with 0.0 sec left but the ref counted it and the Fans came all the way to the Larimore side and celebrated in front of them and tried to pick a fight.

Over raction by a Bears fan. Management had mistakenly placed the Larimore fans behind the Grafton team bench, and the Grafton fans in the opposite corner of the gym. Grafton fans went to their team's bench to celebrate which would obviously be in front of the Larimore fan section. I am no fan of Grafton, and especially no fan of their fans, but don't try to insinuate something into the situation that was never there. By the way wide angle digital video shows that the kid who tipped in the final basket did so with 0.4 seconds on the clock.

Over raction by a Bears fan.  Management had mistakenly placed the Larimore fans behind the Grafton team bench, and the Grafton fans in the opposite corner of the gym.  Grafton fans went to their team's bench to celebrate which would obviously be in front of the Larimore fan section.  I am no fan of Grafton, and especially no fan of their fans, but don't try to insinuate something into the situation that was never there.  By the way wide angle digital video shows that the kid who tipped in the final basket did so with 0.4 seconds on the clock.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were you at the game? :D

We were at the game and the ball was not tipped in, he shot it from a ways out and in no way was there .4 sec left. The site should also be neutral like at the Betty where i think it will be next year.

I'm from Grafton. I worked as a team host at the games. However, after Grafton committed the foul with 11 secs left, I left so I did NOT see the shot or the fans reaction.

I'll say this: I would not want this tourny at the Betty. It is not nearly the atmosphere of packing a high school gym. Whatever your feelings are about Grafton, I just don't think the Betty is the place for any regional tourny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, the Regional Class B Tourney's should be at a high school gym.

I agree, the Regional Class B Tourney's should be at a high school gym.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree the basketball games should be held at a college or at a Class A school so teams are not favored on there own court like Grafton was.

The bears got screwed. :D

I'll say this: I would not want this tourny at the Betty. It is not nearly the atmosphere of packing a high school gym. Whatever your feelings are about Grafton, I just don't think the Betty is the place for any regional tourny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not in the Betty? Larimore would pack it anyway, and teams wouldn't be favored I agree with dj_hoime. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a Grafton citizen, let me say that having it in our own gym is not a real big advantage as both Larimore and MayPort had as many if not more fans at the games than we did so I think that possibly discounts the home court advantage.

You put this thing in a big college fieldhouse and it just seems to lose it's charm in my opinion.

This topic does not relate to "UND Sports - Basketball and Other Sports". The thread has been moved to "Community - UND Community". Please posts topics in the appropriate forum.

GDM

Forums Moderator

SiouxSports.com

A Class B District or Regional tournament is a shot of economic adrenaline to those communities hosting them - not a make or break proposition, mind you, but a nice little economic boost. To move these tournaments out of Mayville, or Grafton, or Park River and place them in locations that have no ties to Class B other than a willingness to take the money is wrong. We play all season on opponents' home courts, so that is not a new experience - don't ruin the charm of Class B because of an alleged home court advntage.

On another note - who will be the one to volunteer to tell Coach Roebuck that he will have to alter his practice schedule because some high school teams want to hold their tournament in his arena?

A Class B District or Regional tournament is a shot of economic adrenaline to those communities hosting them - not a make or break proposition, mind you, but a nice little economic boost.  To move these tournaments out of Mayville, or Grafton, or Park River and place them in locations that have no ties to Class B other than a willingness to take the money is wrong.  We play all season on opponents' home courts, so that is not a new experience - don't ruin the charm of Class B because of an alleged home court advntage.

On another note - who will be the one to volunteer to tell Coach Roebuck that he will have to alter his practice schedule because some high school teams want to hold their tournament in his arena?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK. this is the same thing as having the Final 5 of the WCHA at St. Paul big advantage to the gophers. This is the same deal, only in Grafton, its their home court,locker rooms, rims,and Timekeeper (witch i believe was the school Janitor :D )

get a regular official for that, not a person from Grafton.

How can you say Grafton is favored? Grafton's boy's basketball team has sucked for years now. don't know what everyone is crying about since Grafton finally sneeked through a few games. Nothing wrong with celebrating. If the turning would have been on Larimore's grass the same thing may or could have happened if they won. GO GRAFTON!!!!!

Another reason I am opposed to holding the tourney in the Betty is location. Rotating the Region Tourney between Mayville, Grafton etc, helps balance travel for the fans and schools in the region. Grand Forks is over 100 miles for some people to travel for the tourney. With the rotating Regional, fans from all over are able to attend the games in various years, instead of a majority being from the Grand Forks vacinity.

Having the tournament at the Betty makes so much sense that it will never happen. Highway 2 is the dividing line between the two districts, the size of the arena would allow for more fans, etc. Instead of some fans having to travel 80 or 100 miles to the games, the travel would be relatively easy for everyone. I went to the regional championship game at Mayville State a few years ago when two northern teams were playing. The gym was packed before the 3rd place game started. Why not hold the tourney where there is more room for more fans?

To those that think the regionals should be in small towns, I'm not the only one who disagrees. Here's a list of where the other Class B regionals are held:

Minot

Williston

Dickinson

Jamestown

Wahpeton

Mandan

Devils Lake

Instead of some fans having to travel 80 or 100 miles to the games, the travel would be relatively easy for everyone.

Some fans would have to travel 80 or 100 miles to Grand Forks for a regional. How far is Walhalla? Wouldn't the schools closests to Grand Forks have an advantage for fan attendence?

Having the tournament at the Betty makes so much sense that it will never happen. Highway 2 is the dividing line between the two districts, the size of the arena would allow for more fans, etc. Instead of some fans having to travel 80 or 100 miles to the games, the travel would be relatively easy for everyone. I went to the regional championship game at Mayville State a few years ago when two northern teams were playing. The gym was packed before the 3rd place game started. Why not hold the tourney where there is more room for more fans?

To those that think the regionals should be in small towns, I'm not the only one who disagrees. Here's a list of where the other Class B regionals are held:

Minot

Williston

Dickinson

Jamestown

Wahpeton

Mandan

Devils Lake

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to you, finally someone else sees my side of it. It makes perfect sense to me.

Wahalla? its just the same for Griggs County Central to travel to Grafton. And the Betty is not that big where you lose the atmosphere. plus why would we pack in a gym that has wood bleachers when we could go to the Betty with leather seats? :0

Amen to you,  finally someone else sees my side of it.  It makes perfect sense to me.

Wahalla? its just the same for Griggs County Central to travel to Grafton. And the Betty is not that big where you lose the atmosphere. plus why would we pack in a gym that has wood bleachers when we could go to the Betty with leather seats? :0

What's the distance from Griggs County schools to Mayville every other year? Wahalla would have the 100+ mile trip every year to Grand Forks, instead of every other year. It's still approx 70 miles to Grafton from Wahalla. Would the Betty charge for parking?

Why do you need leather seats if you are standing and cheering? :)

This is just getting silly. Would it make you happy if they rotated the tournament between every high school gym in the region so once every 18 years the local fans could walk to the game?

This is a regional tournament. The whole point is to put it in a place somewhere near the midpoint that has adequate facilities and can be convenient to the highest number of people. If you live in Walhalla or Pembina or Neche you need to get used to the fact that you live on the very edge of civilization and will probably have to travel further for events like this than those who live in Thompson or Minto. That's life.

I am happy with Grafton/Mayville rotation. Why are these not adequate facilities?

The only complaint I heard was homerism in Grafton.

Walhalla or Pembina or Neche are closer to a larger metropolitan area, then any other towns in the region, the edge of North Dakota maybe, but not exactly on the edge of civilization. :0

I am happy with Grafton/Mayville rotation. Why are these not adequate facilities?

The only complaint I heard was homerism in Grafton.

Walhalla or Pembina or Neche are closer to a larger metropolitan area, then any other towns in the region, the edge of North Dakota maybe, but not exactly on the edge of civilization. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Grafton and Mayville are OK facilities (although they both can get packed), but the point is that there is something better (The Betty) and it happens to be located pretty darn close to the middle of the region.

Yes, those towns might be closer to Winnipeg, but they play 12 man football up there. Do you consider that civilized? :lol: