SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey

yepdude

Since someone mentioned the award I looked it up on hobeybaker.com and didn't recognize a single name. Here were the top vote getters by the fans.

Points Name Team Pos. Year

64043 Jordan Sigalet Bowling Green G Sr.

62835 Tuomas Tarkki Northern Michigan G Sr.

31116 Jason Guerriero Northeastern F Sr.

30170 Jonathan Sigalet Bowling Green D So.

28301 Nathan Oystrick Northern Michigan D Jr.

26924 Colin Murphy Michigan Tech F Sr.

26487 Keni Gibson Northeastern G Sr.

25707 Brent Walton Western Michigan F Jr.

Marty Sertich deserves this award most definitely. He has been consistent throughout the year, and he plays on a great team. His teammate, Brett Sterling, also has made a strong case for 1st place as well.

Of course, I do have a WCHA bias. :silly:

Just like in Pro hockey, the winner of an MVP award like the Hobey has typically stood out above his peers because he has clearly carried the team in some shape or form. Therefore, quite often, the team with the hockey MVP is not good enough or complete enough to win a champonship. Look at the year that Miller was selected over Panzer, yet Panzer lit him up for two goals in the playoffs. Panzer was the best player on another powerhouse Sioux team while Miller carried a Michigan State Team that was even more offensively challenged than the current Sioux. It is why the Sioux have only one Hobey winner to date and why this year you have so many names from marginal teams.

Look at the year that Miller was selected over Panzer, yet Panzer lit him up for two goals in the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No he didn't. Spiewak and Bayda scored the Sioux goals in that game. Let's also not forget that the voting for the award was concluded before UND played Michigan State in the Frozen Four.

And nobody should confuse the fan voting with who actually wins the award.

Just like in Pro hockey, the winner of an MVP award like the Hobey has typically stood out above his peers because he has clearly carried the team in some shape or form.  Therefore, quite often, the team with the hockey MVP is not good enough or complete enough to win a champonship.  Look at the year that Miller was selected over Panzer, yet Panzer lit him up for two goals in the playoffs.  Panzer was the best player on another powerhouse Sioux team while Miller carried a Michigan State Team that was even more offensively challenged than the current Sioux.  It is why the Sioux have only one Hobey winner to date and why this year you have so many names from marginal teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get your point. You're saying the players who win MVP awards play on average teams. I don't think the NHL MVP last year, Martin St. Louis, played on an average team. I don't think the Avalanche were too average when Forsberg won the MVP award, I think Gretzkey played on some decent Oilers teams when he won the award. As for the Hobey, you'll have to give me more than one example of the winner playing on an average team. Hrkac didn't play on an average team. Marty Sertich's CC team isn't average when you compare them to the rest of the country.

No he didn't. Spiewak and Bayda scored the Sioux goals in that game. Let's also not forget that the voting for the award was concluded before UND played Michigan State in the Frozen Four.

And nobody should confuse the fan voting with who actually wins the award.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooops unlike you age seems to be claiming my memory. I seem to recall that Panzer got all or nearly all the Sioux goals in one of the playoff game that year but the fact remains that beyond Miller the Spartans didn't have a team to match the Sioux. As for MVPs like Hrkac, Gretzky et al. They were exceptional players in that they could still stand out on powerhouse teams. My only point is that it is easier to stand out as an MVP on an incomplete team. Look at Giguerre of Anaheim and Kiprusoff of Calgary, two other goaltenders who carried teams further than they should have gone. UMD doesn't look very complete without Lessard this season now do they? :silly:

Since someone mentioned the award I looked it up on hobeybaker.com and didn't recognize a single name. Here were the top vote getters by the fans.

Points Name Team Pos. Year

64043 Jordan Sigalet Bowling Green G Sr.

62835 Tuomas Tarkki Northern Michigan G Sr.

31116 Jason Guerriero Northeastern F Sr.

30170 Jonathan Sigalet Bowling Green D So.

28301 Nathan Oystrick Northern Michigan D Jr.

26924 Colin Murphy Michigan Tech F Sr.

26487 Keni Gibson Northeastern G Sr.

25707 Brent Walton Western Michigan F Jr.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on, you should at least recognize that name.

3 goalies on the list? What's wrong with people?

And let me tell you, Bowling Green is not that good. I saw them last year against UMD and the 'Dogs slaughtered them 6-1. They can't be that much better this year. Of course, Tech sucks but Murphy's been scoring, so I guess that negates my argument.

But yeah, where are the WCHA fans? Why aren't they voting?

Ooops unlike you age seems to be claiming my memory. I seem to recall that Panzer got all or nearly all the Sioux goals in one of the playoff game that year but the fact remains that beyond Miller the Spartans didn't have a team to match the Sioux. As for MVPs like Hrkac, Gretzky et al. They were exceptional players in that they could still stand out on powerhouse teams. My only point is that it is easier to stand out as an MVP on an incomplete team. Look at Giguerre of Anaheim and Kiprusoff of Calgary, two other goaltenders who carried teams further than they should have gone. UMD doesn't look very complete without Lessard this season now do they? :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UMD is more complete than most other teams in the nation. You have to realize that the WCHA is the best conference and that everyone of the teams can beat each other. UMD is more complete than you think my friend.

Come on, you should at least recognize that name.

3 goalies on the list? What's wrong with people?

And let me tell you, Bowling Green is not that good. I saw them last year against UMD and the 'Dogs slaughtered them 6-1. They can't be that much better this year. Of course, Tech sucks but Murphy's been scoring, so I guess that negates my argument.

But yeah, where are the WCHA fans? Why aren't they voting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jordan Sigalet will get sympathy votes. He is the goalie with MS.

Jordan Sigalet will get sympathy votes. He is the goalie with MS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's got the feel good side of the Hobey (Playing through adversity). That's big time props.

It could be the feel good kind of upset (Sigalet over Sertich) rather than the stats (Ryan Miller over Jeff Panzer).

UMD is more complete than most other teams in the nation. You have to realize that the WCHA is the best conference and that everyone of the teams can beat each other. UMD is more complete than you think my friend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that UMD is a complete team compared to other conferences however, they were picked to finish firts and the coaches poll so you tell me how important Lessard was to a team that will likely finish sixth.

I agree that UMD is a complete team compared to other conferences however, they were picked to finish firts and the coaches poll so you tell me how important Lessard was to a team that will likely finish sixth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying Lessard wasn't important, but UMD had a lot of upperclassmen that were non factors this year (T.J. Caig was a huge dissappointment).

I'm not saying Lessard wasn't important, but UMD had a lot of upperclassmen that were non factors this year (T.J. Caig was a huge dissappointment).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Caig has one of the hardest shots on the team, yet he seems to always flip these weak fulttery shots on goal when he gets the chance. He needed to let that cannon loose a bit more this season.

As for the Hobey voting, I doubt most of those top 10 are even being conidered (last years top vote getter was from Ala.-Huntsville :silly: ). It's all about whose fans are more religious about voting everyday.

Man, I had this great post, and then I accidentally clicked something else, and it's gone.e4ui7yw3iengarg.

Anyway, I ranted again about the top 10 vote getters, so I've got that off my chest. I'll spare you all.

But yes, TJ Caig is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge disappointment! 1 goal! Yes! Way to go! Oh wait, he's not a freshman defenseman, he's a SENIOR FORWARD! (I did happen to witness this goal, it was against Wisconsin and I made the trip out there). And Neil Petruic, I'd rip that A right off his chest and slap it on Todd Smith, the hardest working man on the ice. Luke Stauffacher has been a bit of a disappointment, too, in that he should have more than 11 points, but he is still a contributor.

The 'Dogs are disappointing this season not because Lucien, Jr. is gone, but because the rest of the people on the team have underachieved. The TALENT is there. Evan Schwabe is still a top scorer in the conference, Tim Stapleton and Marco Peluso have stepped up, and of course my fave Smitty is carrying the defense (with Tim Hambly). But the pieces just aren't adding up. Goaltending, defense, power play, scoring depth: CONSIDERABLY weaker than last year.

I am sorry to take so much time to discuss the 'Dogs, but it's not like I started it.

Yeah, Caig has one of the hardest shots on the team, yet he seems to always flip these weak fulttery shots on goal when he gets the chance. He needed to let that cannon loose a bit more this season.

As for the Hobey voting, I doubt most of those top 10 are even being conidered (last years top vote getter was from Ala.-Huntsville :blush: ). It's all about whose fans are more religious about voting everyday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dog fans, we share your pain. We keep hearing how talented Massen is and that he buries the most pucks in practice yet he has exactly one an goal and one assist and like Caig he is a senior. Both had performed better prior to this season and both must believe their hockey careers end this year because it is the message they are sending to scouts loud and clear!

As for this years Hobey, my prediction is it will be a goaltender who has carried his team further than it should have gone. Just like Parise and Bochenski of last year how do you give it to one and not the other when it comes to CCs Sertich and Sterling. Potulny has not had an impressive second half and the only WCHA possibilities might be MTUs half-pint or Bucky's Bruckler.