SiouxSports.com Forum

AHL ASG

Just Curious

For those of you interested in the AHL ASG, here is a link to a short article:

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/02/14/930803.html

I just talked to a friend who watched the game. He said both Parise and Bochenski looked really good. Parise took 2nd in the fastest skater competition. Bochenski had a goal, Parise had the assist on it.

Side note: The Wilds recruit, Mikko Koivu, looked good also.

Watching Bo and Zach perform so well, in what was described as the most talent-laden AHL All Star game ever, only reinforced what I have felt all along this season. The Sioux's top senior and junior forwards left voids in their lineup that just can't be filled this season. No other college program has produced (and lost) two such skilled players the same season, as the Sioux have this season. The only thing that would have been surprising is if the Sioux's offensive production wouldn't have significantly dipped after their departures to the pro ranks.

We wouldn't even have threads on this board discussing UND's chances of making the tournament had Parise and Bochenski stayed in school. Oh how great it could have been, especially this year. Just imagine...UND being a #1 seed and being sent to Mariucci and playing the Gophers in a winner-goes-to-the-Frozen-Four game.

I thought the AHL game was probably better than most NHL games I've seen or been to, especially at the X. Very talented players, fast moving plays, etc. Maybe if the NHL invested in talented younger types, instead of forking over millions to over-the-hill guys like Jagr, Belfour, Hull, etc., and had rules that encouraged a wide-open game they might actually generate some excitement among casual fans.

That said, it was nice to see alot of players whose names are/were very familiar to a college hockey fan. :0

I watched the entire game, very entertaining game. Canada took the lead 4-0 in the first. It was a whole different game after that, the Planet USA team really had the upper hand the last 2 periods. Parise and Bochenski were on a line together for most of the game with Dustin Brown on the other wing. I believe Brown was on the world junior team that won gold. That line was very good in the 2nd and 3rd period. They created some good scoring chances and more than held their own. Bo will score some goals in the NHL, he looked very good to me and looks like he has improved his skating even from last year. Roche played for the Canadian team though an all star game is probably not the best forum for a defenseman to shine, though I saw he did jump into the play a few times.

I thought the AHL game was probably better than most NHL games I've seen or been to, especially at the X.  Very talented players, fast moving plays, etc.  Maybe if the NHL invested in talented younger types, instead of forking over millions to over-the-hill guys like Jagr, Belfour, Hull, etc., and had rules that encouraged a wide-open game they might actually generate some excitement among casual fans. 

That said, it was nice to see alot of players whose names are/were very familiar to a college hockey fan.  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to remember this was an all-star game though - they usually take out the clutching and grabbing in these games. That said I have nothing to compare it to as I haven't seen a regular season AHL game this year.

It was fun watching Bo and Parise play together. Bo should have had at least one more - he missed an open net (bouncing puck). The announcers mentioned Bo was the lowest drafted player on the ice - shows that hard work pays off.

To be fair, the NHL (or any business for that matter) could not operate by dumping players once they reach a particular age. It would be difficult to "invest" in these young players if they know they are going to get dropped in a few years. Many older players still play a very fast paced game. What the NHL needs to do is get away from the "bigger is better" way of thinking. You would think players like St. Louis and Jason Blake would open some eyes. Unfortunately the vast majority of GM's in the NHL are old school Canadians that would never allow the game to become "European".

Watching Bo and Zach perform so well, in what was described as the most talent-laden AHL All Star game ever, only reinforced what I have felt all along this season.  The Sioux's top senior and junior forwards left voids in their lineup that just can't be filled this season.  No other college program has produced (and lost) two such skilled players the same season, as the Sioux have this season.  The only thing that would have been surprising is if the Sioux's offensive production wouldn't have significantly dipped after their departures to the pro ranks.

That really hit me last night. Our top 2 forwards last year played SIGNIFICANT roles in the AHL ALL-STAR game as ROOKIES. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? These all-star teams were filled with guys that could have been in the NHL if it had operated this season.