SiouxSports.com Forum

UNC-Pembroke Name Troubles?

Smoggy

Once again, the NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, chooses to turn a blind eye to one evil (anyone else think Maurice Clarett DIDN'T get special treatment and cash while at Ohio State) and wants to put the hammer down on another one. If you're so high and mighty, NCAA, let's ban Illinois from playing in the NCAA tournament solely because of their nickname and not pick on some Division 5AAA school with a similar nickname.

Once again, the NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, chooses to turn a blind eye to one evil (anyone else think Maurice Clarett DIDN'T get special treatment and cash while at Ohio State) and wants to put the hammer down on another one.  If you're so high and mighty, NCAA, let's ban Illinois from playing in the NCAA tournament solely because of their nickname and not pick on some Division 5AAA school with a similar nickname.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Clarett didn't get any special treatment. And it was about during that Orange Bowl when Rick Riley was crying how Clarett was getting screwed because he couldn't go back home for his friends funeral, despite the fact that he probably could have paid for the ticket himself.

Not to metion Illinois, how about Florida St. as well? Why don't they put their money where their mouth is?? Morals are sure easier to stand by when there isn't so much money in the way... :lol::D

Wasn't it Chris Webber who defended his taking money from boosters in college because on some nights he couldn't even afford a pizza. My four years weren't covered by an athletic scholarship and I couldn't afford a pizza either.

The NCAA has its head screwed on backwards. If they really want to make a statement about nicknames, then let's start with Florida State in football and Illinois in basketball. Oh, that's right. Florida State brings in big $$$ for the NCAA for football and Illinois should garner a #1 seed in basketball and send tons of fans to NCAA tournament games. Nevermind then...

Wasn't it Chris Webber who defended his taking money from boosters in college because on some nights he couldn't even afford a pizza.  My four years weren't covered by an athletic scholarship and I couldn't afford a pizza either. 

The NCAA has its head screwed on backwards.  If they really want to make a statement about nicknames, then let's start with Florida State in football and Illinois in basketball.  Oh, that's right.  Florida State brings in big $$$ for the NCAA for football and Illinois should garner a #1 seed in basketball and send tons of fans to NCAA tournament games.  Nevermind then...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely right, money talks! If Engelstad had told UND he wouldn't donate anything unless the Fighting Sioux nickname changed, UND would have changed the nickname in a heartbeat!

Good to know your opinion on this issue, Norseman. Now tell me this, why do Stanton, Solen, Fort Yates/Standing Rock Community High School, etc. all refer to themselves as the Sioux or Warriors? Does that make those communities racist as well? If it's racist, it's racist, right?

Good to know your opinion on this issue, Norseman.  Now tell me this, why do Stanton, Solen, Fort Yates/Standing Rock Community High School, etc. all refer to themselves as the Sioux or Warriors?  Does that make those communities racist as well?  If it's racist, it's racist, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think he was stating his oppinion on the issue. I think he was just pointing out the fact that if Mr. Engelstad's stance on the name issue had been reversed, UND would most likely have a new name and logo right now. He simply was stating that $$$$ is what makes the world go around.

I've seen Norseman on the board, dakotaboy. I'm fully aware of his opinion of the Fighting Sioux nickname. However, it's ironic that when I pose the question of predominantly Indian schools in North Dakota calling themselves "Warriors" or "Sioux" and why they should ban those school nicknames as well in addition to UND, I wind up hearing crickets chirping in response. The anti-name side has no answer to that question.

I've seen Norseman on the board, dakotaboy.  I'm fully aware of his opinion of the Fighting Sioux nickname.  However, it's ironic that when I pose the question of predominantly Indian schools in North Dakota calling themselves "Warriors" or "Sioux" and why they should ban those school nicknames as well in addition to UND, I wind up hearing crickets chirping in response.  The anti-name side has no answer to that question.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because like most Natives they think it is an honor to name their school after a Tribe. Don't blame the Natives for the name change side - it is vastly white leftists who feel they must "protect" those that don't need or want protecting.

I agree with that 100% jloos. That's why there's no answer to my question because the only possible rebuttal is "well, if the schools are predominantly Indian, then it's ok." I'm not blaming American Indians at all. My high school played Fort Yates/SRCHS in high school basketball and I know damn right that those players, fans, and parents are proud of their school name. It's out-of-work-got-nothing-better-to-do-than-protest white folks who stir the pot.