SiouxSports.com Forum

Please Pray for Dondre Asberry

JESUS,family,rutgers

If anyone would like to send a get well card to dondre, here is an address--

Dondre Asberry

Rutgers Stadium-Hale Center

One Scarlet Knight Way

Piscataway, NJ 08854

I am sure he,his family, and the other players would really appreciate it. He,like many of our football players, is from Florida which is about a 1,000 miles away from New Jersey. Being that far away from home makes this type of situation a little bit harder. Thanks everyone.

Here is an update from today's newspaper. Dondre is still listed in critical condition at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick with spine and neck injuries. There has been no other information released about him or when he might be able to leave the hospital. He has been in since October 16 when he was hit by a drunk driver. Our other two players who were hit in the accident were released from the hospital but still have head and neck injuries. They have not practiced since and did not play last week against Temple and will not play this week against West Virginia. Thanks for your prayers Sioux fans.

Rutgers football coach Greg Schiano announced last night that Dondre has now been moved out of the Intensive Care Unit to a regular room. He will be unable to return to classes this semester, but it is hoped he will be able to be back in school in January. As far as playing football again, that appears to be up in the air. ---As far as I'm concerned,it doesn't matter if he ever plays another down. I'm just glad that he is alive and that it is expected that he will be able to walk.

• 2 weeks later...

Dondre Asberry has been released from the hospital and he and his family are back down in Florida. He hopes to come back to Rutgers in January. The other players lives and careers have also been altered drastically by the drunk driver and his actions. I don't drink myself,but if there is anyone out there who drives drunk, I really hope you will read the following article about the devastation that was caused by the accident.

www.nj.com/rutgers/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1100412052274751.xml

On behalf of all Rutgers fans, thanks to you North Dakota fans for your prayers!

• 8 months later...

Yesterday the drunk driver in this case plead guilty. He was sentenced to four years in prison, and the judge said he must serve at least three years and five months before being eligible for parole. --As for our three Rutgers players,they will not be able to get on a football field again, but Thank GOD they are all able to walk. Thank you again North Dakota fans out there for your prayers.

Hello cheeringsioux,

I hadn't heard about the California player. Hope he is going to be able to walk ok. Did they catch the driver? I would think that is a very serious crime if he intentionally tried to kill someone with a car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe so, but I can't remember the full story. I think I read it in either ESPN or Sports Illustrated.