SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Sioux Boosters

schmidtdoggydog

There were several members of this website present today so I apologize in advance if multiple recaps are posted.

As usual, the typical disclaimer should be reviewed before going any farther, but I am too lazy to cut and paste so read at your own risk.

RT and DH both commented about Dean Blais. They had both spoken with him recently and noted that he is doing well despite the difficult times. DB and DH spoke after Saturday's game - DH called him a tremendous family man and said DB is back in Columbus now with his youngest child hoping for an end to the lockout so he can get back to coaching.

Some talk about the series in Maine. DH noted that they have a very difficult arena to play in and that Maine is very successful there, but also noted that UND is 3-0-1 in their last four games there going back to '01 season.

He said UND played much better Saturday night and that by the third period Saturday Maine simply couldn't keep pace with UND and he attributed that in part to great conditioning by UND's squad.

He said that after every game the coaches rate all the players using a 1,2,3 system with 1 being the best rating and 3 the worst. None of the Sioux players received a 3 rating for either game against Maine and he was happy with that. He noted that if a player receives a couple of 3's in a row that chances are good they won't play the next game, but nobody was rated that low last weekend.

He didn't talk specifically about many players, but did have nothing but superlatives to offer about Rory McMahon. He said from day 1 this year during dryland RM has been a leader. His leadership is being felt in the lockerroom and on the ice. DH said that RM may not score a lot and didn't get a lot of points against Maine, but does a lot of the little things very well and those are the things that don't appear on the scoreboard, but do make for a good leader. He mentioned that RM has become a very solid and good hockey player.

He did say that Spirko is now a household name in Maine and that even the reporters were referring to him as Sparky when asking about him postgame.

He made some mention about the defense as a whole. He stated that MG, MJ, AS and MS are all very big and that their size takes a toll on, and after time wears down, the opponent. He said they have all matured nicely on the ice and have become good hockey players. They have good sense and know what they need to do to win games.

A question was asked about Radke. DH said he will play at least one game this weekend. The plans were to play him on Saturday against Maine, but he didn't want to upset the balance and said the defense played so well on Friday that it wouldn't send a good message to take one of the six that played out of the lineup on Sat.

He said that Radke understood. He also said KR is a very gifted hockey player and will be a big part of UND's success not only in the future, but this season as well.

Another question was asked in reference to the new concept of calling penalties by the book. DH said he believes it will favor UND, but did note that some teams will be hurt by it. He feels that UND has a smart team and that the players know what to do and it is just up to the coaches to remind them. He expects the transition won't take more than a couple of weeks and then his players should be good to go. He said he wished refs would have called the games that way the last two seasons and noted that Parise would have been even more fun to watch.

That is all I can remember for now. Congrats, GDM, for winning a prize today. I didn't see what it was, but free things are tough to beat.

siouxguyinstpaul,

Was that you I drove by tonite at about 5:00 pm on Shepard Road @ 35E? I'm heading west-bound on Shepard Road and look over in the left lane to see a guy wearing a Sioux hockey jersey turning to go southbound on 35E. Pretty funny.

MafiaMan

What time is the coaches show on and is it on FSSN?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last I read they (REA) were advertising for a person to host the Thursday night and Friday before games FSSN hockey show. No further word if someone has been selected, or if FSSN will be showing a Thursday night show soon.

The coach's show, however, is a radio only show. Have to count on PCM to "remember" :blush: to listen and post a recap here.

And thanks, schmidtdoggydog for the recap of the Fagrow Sioux boosters.

He made some mention about the defense as a whole.  He stated that MG, MJ, AS and MS are all very big and that their size takes a toll on, and after time wears down, the opponent.  He said they have all matured nicely on the ice and have become good hockey players.  They have good sense and know what they need to do to win games.

Another question was asked in reference to the new concept of calling penalties by the book.  DH said he believes it will favor UND, but did note that some teams will be hurt by it.  He feels that UND has a smart team and that the players know what to do and it is just up to the coaches to remind them.  He expects the transition won't take more than a couple of weeks and then his players should be good to go. He said he wished refs would have called the games that way the last two seasons and noted that Parise would have been even more fun to watch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could agree with DH, from what I've seen with WCHA reffing MJ, MG, MS and AS will be spending a lot of time in the PB this year. Especially MG and MS - remember the "2 minutes for playing physical" penalties Commie had a few years back. I see a repeat of that. Of course if the refs actually called obstruction penalties as they are supposed to be called it would help the Sioux, but I don't have that much faith in the refs. Rather they will call a penalty any time MG or MS rides a guy into the boards.

Depending on the ref there are going to be a lot of 10-15 penalties per team games, with neither side having much of an advantage. Most of the refs use the "even-out" BS call way too much.

Nice recap schmidty

Thanks for the recap, schmidtdoggydog. I'm planning to listen to the UND coaches show Wednesday night and do a recap on that -- if I can remember in my old age.  :blush:  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a Sioux fan in Minneapolis I look forward to the recaps on Thursdays! Thanks! ;)

Congrats, GDM, for winning a prize today.  I didn't see what it was, but free things are tough to beat.

Homecoming football tickets. :blush:

Everyone reading this has a standing invitation to Sioux Boosters in Fargo. You don't have to be a member of any club. It is held on the second Tuesday of the month at 11:45 AM at the Kelly Inn at Main and I-29. You can get a soup and sandwich bar lunch, including coffee or pop, for $8 or you can just come in and listen. Coaches normally start speaking about noon and are done about 1:00 PM.

GDM

Forums Moderator

SiouxSports.com