SiouxSports.com Forum

Potulny question.

Let'sGoHawks!

We all have heard proud Gopher fans stating how they stole 2 right out of our backyard in the Potulny brothers. My question is this: Did UND actively recruit these two? I was told no, but does anyone have any proof of what really happened? I ask the question because I am sick of gopher fans talking about them and Danny Irmen, by the way, did UND recruit him?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

We all have heard proud Gopher fans stating how they stole 2 right out of our backyard in the Potulny brothers.  My question is this:  Did UND actively recruit these two?  I was told no, but does anyone have any proof of what really happened?  I ask the question because I am sick of gopher fans talking about them and Danny Irmen, by the way, did UND recruit him?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND didn't recruit Grant, I believe they didn't have any scholarships to offer him. Little Potulny and Irmen are best friends and jumped at the chance to play together. Little Potulny wanted to play with his brother, I don't think UND really tried to recruit him, but the only people that know for sure are the Sioux coaching staff.

UND didn't recruit Grant Potulny. They had other recruits they felt were better. Minnesota took him just to open the "outside of Minnesota" recruiting borders. It turned out to be a great move, because Potulny became a much better player than anyone thought he would.

UND recruited Ryan very hard but he decided to follow his brother to Minnesota. That's the way it goes. Trouble is, if UND would have been successful at getting Ryan, they might not have had room for someone else from last years class. I don't think we'd want to give up Brady Murray or Drew Stafford for Potulny.

Irmen??? I think I'll leave that one alone.

We all have heard proud Gopher fans stating how they stole 2 right out of our backyard in the Potulny brothers.  My question is this:  Did UND actively recruit these two?  I was told no, but does anyone have any proof of what really happened?  I ask the question because I am sick of gopher fans talking about them and Danny Irmen, by the way, did UND recruit him?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a sore subject with some that has gone through quite a bit of discussion on this board. As far as Grant Potulny is concerned, the answer is no, the Sioux did not recruit him. His father Jay has confirmed this. This was curious considering that Minnesota, Wisconsin and UMD did, and Steve Johnson gave him a strong endorsement. However, when DB went to see him, he apparently did not play very well.

The Sioux did recruit Ryan Potulny, but it was too late. I have heard from very good authority that he would not go to UND after his brother was not recruited, at least not while Dean Blais was the coach. Dan Irmen is a friend of Ryan's and may have gone to UM regardless, but was not given the opportunity to find out. His father Don was very upset that UND did not talk with him until after he had already committed to the Gophers. Dave Hakstol called after he committed to the Gophers. That was a mistake because it was well known that UM and CC were recruiting Dan Irmen.

As was stated, there was some question about how good of a college hockey player Grant would be (obviously, he turned out to be a dandy!). It was my understanding that UM recruited him for two reasons:

1) To land someone from out-of-state and from UND's back yard.

2) More importantly, they thought Ryan was going to be a superstar and assumed they would have a much better chance of getting him if they already had Grant.

Can anyone confirm that theory?

As was stated, there was some question about how good of a college hockey player Grant would be (obviously, he turned out to be a dandy!).  It was my understanding that UM recruited him for two reasons:

2) More importantly, they thought Ryan was going to be a superstar and assumed they would have a much better chance of getting him if they already had Grant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have also heard from a G F local that they were after Ryan.

As was stated, there was some question about how good of a college hockey player Grant would be (obviously, he turned out to be a dandy!).  It was my understanding that UM recruited him for two reasons:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Lucia and staff clearly wanted to break the border and believed GP was just the type of character player to do that. The Gophers have always had high skill players, but have rarely had a physically imposing goal scorer that could and would camp in front of the opponents net. I think Lucia knew the Gophers were somewhat soft and knew GP could change that. As for getting a 15-20 goals per season player, they did probably get lucky.

As for helping land Ryan, it was gravy. Lucia was attempting to build a national championship team for the '01-'02 season. He certainly would not have picked up a player for '00-'01 that might help him land a player that might be a star for '03-'04. I guess you never know, many people claimed that hiring Motzco was part of the plan to get Vanek.

Sagard, I understand your opinion on the Grant/Ryan thing, and I don't have much of an opinion on that one. However, generally, I have always considered Lucia to be a master of the recruiting angle.

Ian Peterson to get Toby?

Grant to get Ryan?

Motzko to get Vanek?

Sertich to get Guyer?

I don't mean it in a disparaging way at all, as landing Vanek basically landed the second title. I just happen to think this is one of Lucia's real skills in coaching in very competitive times. What does Kessel's dad do, anyway? Or his brother? (the Kessel comment is just a joke; I don't know of anything there.)

Sagard, I understand your opinion on the Grant/Ryan thing, and I don't have much of an opinion on that one.  However, generally, I have always considered Lucia to be a master of the recruiting angle. 

Ian Peterson to get Toby? 

Grant to get Ryan? 

Motzko to get Vanek?

Sertich to get Guyer?

I don't mean it in a disparaging way at all, as landing Vanek basically landed the second title.  I just happen to think this is one of Lucia's real skills in coaching in very competitive times.  What does Kessel's dad do, anyway?  Or his brother? (the Kessel comment is just a joke; I don't know of anything there.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget Scott Swanson to get Brian Swanson! Nah, only kidding here. :blush: If Lucia somehow sneaks Kessel out from underneath Bucky and Michi, I will be shocked and impressed.

Three hours until I see the new kids take on the mighty University of Calgary! I so need something to take my mind of the $%!&@ Yankees.