SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. Princeton or West Point?

JESUS,family,rutgers

While I realize Princeton and Army are not Top Ten teams, do the Sioux ever come East to play them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I simply can't hold back anymore. What exactly made you "become a sioux fan?" I know it seems insulting, but come on man. You don't know who they play and don't know the rivals. It just seems really goofy that you decide to become a fan of this team out of nowhere...by knowing that they won some titles. I don't understand the process.

I simply can't hold back anymore. What exactly made you "become a sioux fan?" I know it seems insulting, but come on man. You don't know who they play and don't know the rivals. It just seems really goofy that you decide to become a fan of this team out of nowhere...by knowing that they won some titles. I don't understand the process.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey basil,

I have been called worse things than goofy, although I probably am. There wasn't any big process. I was looking for a Division 1 team to become a fan of and I did not want to root for a college that is a sports factory. I went on a couple websites for hockey which brought me to ND's websites. While I do remember the Sioux playing in the NCAA tournament on ESPN in the past, I had no idea how good the program has been. Sorry if I don't know a lot about the program yet,but most people in North Dakota probably don't know that Rutgers beat Priceton in the first college football game ever played. We get almost no coverage of college hockey in the Mid-atlantic states( I imagine it is better covered up in New England). Looking forward to a large increase in games on the college sports television network and espnu. So anyway,there is nothing more I can say about how I picked your team--I haven't been insulted by your comment and I hope I have not insulted any long time fans by my questions. By next week, I may be the only person in New Jersey wearing a Sioux jersey! Take care.

Quote:

By next week, I may be the only person in New Jersey wearing a Sioux jersey

Actually, I assume there are quite a few Sioux fans out in Jersey. They have drafted from UND frequently. David Hale has played a few years for them. Zach Parise is being hailed as the next big thing and is beginning his career in Albany, their farm team, and UND incoming Freshman Travis Zajac was their first round draft pick this year. It would be great for another person out there to buy a Sioux jersey. Siouxshop.com has lots of merchandise.

Quote:

Actually, I assume there are quite a few Sioux fans out in Jersey.  They have drafted from UND frequently.  David Hale has played a few years for them.  Zach Parise is being hailed as the next big thing and is beginning his career in Albany, their farm team, and UND incoming Freshman Travis Zajac was their first round draft pick this year.  It would be great for another person out there to buy a Sioux jersey.  Siouxshop.com has lots of merchandise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike Commodore and James Massen were also drafted by NJ. (I am still probably missing some).

Jfr, you've passed your first test as a Sioux fan. You are the target of Basil's ire.

While I realize Princeton and Army are not Top Ten teams, do the Sioux ever come East to play them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why they don't need to. They have enough games they can play without getting into these matchups.

In '02-03, the Sioux travelled East to play Princeton & Yale, and they won those games 5-2 & 7-3. Last season ('03-04), Yale came to Grand Forks and got spanked 8-4 & 10-0. UND has not played Army anytime recently.

While Princeton may not be a regular opponent, the possibility certainly exists of another trip out East. I like to see UND play those games, because the coach has the opportunity to play some guys who otherwise don't get much ice time.

Quote:

Actually, I assume there are quite a few Sioux fans out in Jersey.  They have drafted from UND frequently.  David Hale has played a few years for them.  Zach Parise is being hailed as the next big thing and is beginning his career in Albany, their farm team, and UND incoming Freshman Travis Zajac was their first round draft pick this year.  It would be great for another person out there to buy a Sioux jersey.  Siouxshop.com has lots of merchandise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Let's Go Sioux,

Thanks for the info. That is where I ordered my jersey. It is a replica and I hope the quality is pretty good. I had no idea the Devils and North Dakota had so many players in common. My interest in the NHL has ended, in large part due to the prices. To go to a Devils game, I would have to pay $10 to park and pay about $8 for a hot dog and soda. Ticket prices in the lower level are all $70. At the bottom rows of the upper level,the price is $58. The upper rows are less,but you are so far away in a 20,000 seat arena that your dog sparky could be skating around and you couldn't tell the difference.--A few times a year, I go to watch the AHL Wilkes Barre-Scranton Penguins. They play in a new 8,000 seat arena,plenty of free parking and tickets go from about $12-$19 dollars and almost every seat is a good one. Except for the fact the AHL allows too much fighting, it is still a good night out. For the near future, I expect the minor leagues and colleges will pick up a lot of new fans and some of them will lose interest in the NHL for good.