SiouxSports.com Forum

Dressler

UND92,96

Does anyone else think Dressler should be the primary punt returner? To me, it seems pretty clear that not only is he faster and quicker than Groeschl, but I believe he probably also has more experience fielding punts from his high school days than does ex-quarterback Groeschl. Groeschl had one bounce off his face mask yesterday for a turnover, and he just doesn't look that comfortable back there. I've been impressed with Dressler from the few times he's handled the ball so far, and it would seem that in order to make it worthwhile to have taken his red shirt off, he should at least be utilized the fullest extent on special teams.

Did Dressler play much yesterday?

He didn't play much until the game was in hand. In the fourth quarter, he played quite a bit with the second team offense. He's one of the two deep guys on kick returns, but of course there haven't been many kick returns yet for the Sioux. On punts, he's the second deep guy on those relatively few punt returns when there's more than one guy deep.

I think it goes without saying that Dressler has some serious big play ability, but there are other guys that can get a lot of things done. Dressler's size is what could come back to haunt him. Don't get me wrong, he's a hell of a player, but what about someone like Tony Hermes. He's one of the deep guys on the kickoff, he's on the field for punt and punt return teams, he plays the ever-confusing monster back on defense, what else could be done? The only thing he has to work on is keeping his helmet on, and that new face turf burn. Nice work Hermes!

To be fair to Groeschl, Dressler had a few problems against Mesa St. If I remember correctly, he mishandled both a kickoff and a punt. But since the coaching staff pulled his redshirt, I would like to see him utilized more often. I hoping as the season goes on we'll see him out there more as he learns the offense better. Otherwise, I'd hate to have a year of his eligiblity "wasted" to be a second-string returner/receiver.

ONE THING THAT YOU MIGHT THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU GET SO SMART MOUTHED IS MAYBE THE EQUIPMENT MANAGER MIGHT TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE STRAP SNAPS MAYBE THERE BAD . I THINK HE KNOWS HOW TO PUT ON A HELMET DO YOU???

Wow, somebodies a little touchy!

ONE THING THAT YOU MIGHT THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU GET SO SMART MOUTHED IS MAYBE THE EQUIPMENT MANAGER MIGHT TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE STRAP SNAPS MAYBE THERE BAD . I THINK HE KNOWS HOW TO PUT ON A HELMET DO YOU???

So now the equipment man needs to check all those helmets each night. I'm sure he has better things to do. Maybe the player should bring the helmet to him.

:p It's football season.

I coach football and we don't have an equipment guy, and it is a lot of extra work. From setting up fields dealing with players equipment, washing the game uniforms, and so on. It really ends up being a lot to deal with, so a good equipment manager is very important.

When I was in high school one of the custodians was in charge of the equipment, and he great. Allowed the coaches to actually do the job of coaching.