SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Talk

bisonguy

I just wanted to inform everyone that there will be an interview with the commish of the Big Sky and Terry Wanless (AD Sac. St.) tomorrow on WDAY's news @ 6 and 10. They said that there would be talk about UND, possibly Terry saying they should move up. If any of you Sioux fans live in Fargo, or can listen to 970, you might want to hear whatever they have to say. I don't know if it will be on WDAZ or not.

Penny pincher Wanless? The man who robbed most the money from the hockey budget to "balance" the rest of the sports.?(Ask Blaiser how he liked the Alaska flights home)

Why should Wanless care. He hates UND after Ralph got rid of him! :0

I really doubt that the Commish from the Big Sky is going to say anything

that we have not all ready heard or is that herd.? :D

I just heard the info for tomorrow. Steve Halstrom stated they(Wanless or Doug Fullerton) would have "strong advice for UND officials". Take that for what it's worth. Yeah, Wanless had stated before that NDSU would have to "prove" themselves before being accepted into a conference, and the Big Sky wasn't looking for new members. That's coming from the new AD of the bottom-feeder of the Big Sky. There has even been talk of Sac. State leaving the Big Sky. I can tell you guys have a high opinion of him.

Anyhow, one quick note about the NCC moving up or reforming with some new members. As much as I'd like to see others from the NCC move up, I don't think that would be the best scenario. Postseason play(once eligible) would suffer from the "new kid syndrome". To put it another way, the NCC(or whatever it would be called) would be the NSIC of D1.

First of all, I'd like to say I love reading this site. Always love talking D2 sports. I'm a fan from Southwest State and am very interested in reading about what it going to happen to the NCC, NSIC, etc.

I will agree, some of the teams in the NSIC are poor. Their getting better, but still have a ways to go. It's getting better, but I"m always reading or hearing about how poor the NSIC is. For instance BisonGuy said the NCC going D1 would mean the NCC would be the NSIC of D1. What does that mean? The NCC would win two men's basketball regional championships? (Northern STate and Southwest STate, beating NCC teams on their home courts!!). Women's basketball teams would compete for titles? (SSU defeated North Dakota in the regional semi-finals last year!!!)

In football yes the league is poor, but Duluth and Winona have improved over the years to compete. And Winona with only 12-15 full rides I believe, that's amazing. I know the admins at SSU are always fundraising for more money of getting and competing at a higher level, not cutting like some schools. With Schwan's in town, that helps.

Give it time, but the NSIC will continue to improve. But anyway, my belief is the two leagues will combine in a few years, minus a few schools. Maybe Crookston won't be invited, some others.

Thanks again for the site

I was speaking about the NSIC in the football sense. There was quite a "controversy" about WSU getting into the playoffs at the expense of a second MIAA team. That was what my reference to the NSIC was pointing towards. If, and that's a big IF, the "hypothetical D1AA NCC" was given a postseason spot, a lot of people would get upset. This problem would be avoided by schools moving up joining an established conference.

bisonguy:

I just don't expect anything new to come out tomorrow. I expect to hear most of the same hype. (That's not aimed at you but at Hallstrom's hype.)

The situation really hasn't changed. What could either say? Do we expect the Big Sky to turn tail on their stated position? (They have a moratorium on new members.)

I still believe if SDSU goes, so goes USD, and then UND has no choice but to follow.

I've heard that Sac. St. wants to join the Big West when UC-Davis does. They're only 15 miles apart and could be travel partners. There are enough D-Is nearby in CA that I'm sure Wanless really doesn't like to have to shell out the travel bucks to Montana. I'm thinkin' he'd rather have to pay bus fare and not air fare.

It was a pretty uninteresting news piece. You can view it yourself at http://new.in-forum.com/wday/ jump to 20:23 on the 6:00pm news.

Wanless said NDSU should jump and UND should too, or risk being left behind. Predicts UND will move (not exactly going out on a limb, since he even disclaims it with "eventually". I'd bet everything I own that UND moves "eventually").

Doug Fullerton (Big Sky commissioner) predicts that NDSU will not find a conference before 2004 (didn't the NDSU AD say in the press conference that he should be run out of town if he doesn't have a conference affiliation in two years?) He also said that the Big Sky will allow NDSU to give a presentation at its October meeting to sell themselves.

bisonguy, I am confused IYHO does NDSU want to be the lone wolf or be a part of the NCC flock? :D

I stated long ago about WSU and Duluth,Crookston teams. If UND would have been beaten by a team w/ 13 scholarships last year the UND camp might be a little more serious about D1aa. ;)

Why would the NCC/ D1aa be any different than aNCC/ D2 bid for the post season play?Not everyone IS going to be happy that's the way of the world.

There is parody in all sports.Example SCSU was the 13th team in a field a couple of years ago in hockey instead the NCAA gave their spot to a team that sucked.Not to bore you w/hockey. But SCSU were robbed they played stronger teams and deserved the 12th spot.

They are over it. I am sure.;)

Oh we just loved Micro Mgr. Terry. :0

I just believe it would be better for NDSU to join an established conference. A team from a brand new conference will have a harder time making the postseason than a brand new team in an established conference. Nobody will give a new, untested conference much respect until they establish a tradition (or re-establish in the case of the NCC). There was a lot of controversy with Winona's playoff berth last year, and I think there would be a parallel to a new D1AA conference. There has also been talk of the BB ineligibility being reduced to 8 years, but new conferences would remain at 13.

My ideal situation would be NDSU, UNC, SDSU(?), UND(?) to join the Big Sky, with two divisions in the conference.

On a semi-related note on respect: The Montana Grizzlies fans showed absolutely none for UNC. I saw some of their comments after the game, and the only decent comment they had about UNC was "their defense was OK-nothing great, just OK". They all thought Montana had a terrible game and should have been winning 35-0 at the half.

USD is expected to announce this morning their intention to stay in D2. The best scenario is for SDSU and NDSU to move up. That will give them the regional recruiting territory each team needs to be competitive. NDSU officials were very positive about the welcome we would receive in D1. The msg from grand forks is, of course, very different and lacks a grounding in reality.

Wanless's words last night were completely different than reported by the herald. Nobody was talking Wanless down when they thought he was saying what they wanted to hear, but look at the remarks about him now that they have heard the truth from the man himself! You have to be careful about who you listen to. that type of duplicity surrounding this issue is rampant in grand forks.

There is the big lie about not playing a D1AA NDSU while at the same time advertising on the AFCA site for D1AA football opponents. The deception in cost comparisons by using Michigan or the Gophers. The din about no opportunity for regional athletes. The talk about no conference affiliation. The insuation (or should I say hope) that NDSU coaches except Babich were against the move. All of this is propaganda.

Im not sure why it is spouted in such a huge quantity, maybe to make themselves feel better, but it really has no affect on what NDSU will actually do. The negative psychology created by this flow of misinformation is already accounted for in the decisions NDSU is making. They understand there will be attempts to preserve the status quo and I believe were fully aware that the UND/grand forks coalition would mount a strong public campaign to try and block it. It's present in almost every decision NDSU makes, and has been for many many years.

JBB: I'll bet you USD puts a hedge into their statement ("unless circumstances significantly change") into their statement just like UND did.

And you really need to learn how to capitalize. It proves you are either completely blinded with spite toward UND and Grand Forks or just plain uneducated. No uneducated people come out of NDSU now, do they?

And could it be that Wanless wants some new D-IAA teams, especially schools with smaller enrollments and revenue and population bases, so his is no longer the very bottom? :D

There is the big lie about not playing a D1AA NDSU while at the same time advertising on the AFCA site for D1AA football opponents. The deception in cost comparisons by using Michigan or the Gophers. The din about no opportunity for regional athletes. The talk about no conference affiliation. The insuation (or should I say hope) that NDSU coaches except Babich were against the move.

Propaganda?

Minnesota and Montana ended last year with red numbers in the Athletic Department books.

Does NDSU have a conference yet? No.

Only Babich was at the press conference.

Those are all facts. Call them propaganda if you will.

Wanless said NDSU should jump and UND should too, or risk being left behind.  Predicts UND will move (not exactly going out on a limb, since he even disclaims it with "eventually".  I'd bet everything I own that UND moves "eventually").

For those who missed it the first time around, here's what Wanless had to say to the GF Herald shortly after NDSU announced its decision. The article talks mostly about the implications for UND, but mentions NDSU a bit also:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...rts/4027971.htm

JBB:

"Questions with questions?"

I used two question marks. I answered one of the questions for you. The other usage was more of a statement of disbelief than a question.

'jimdahl' asked two questions as well, but, functionally, the questions were the same. So, you've been asked one question and appear to be upset by it.

Have they stopped teaching grammar and critical reading skills at NDSU? Oops, sorry. That's another question.

I think it comes back to my point at the top -- your own insecurity about NDSU leads you to an irrational fear of UND and Grand Forks and causes you to embark on this propaganda campaign (that is fooling no one).

To Jim's point:

Check out http://www.ndsu.edu

A picture of a person with a stethoscope? (It was on 09/28/02 at least.) The Medical School is at UND. Why is NDSU portraying such an image? Could it be insecurity?

Oops, more questions.

It was this photo: http://www.ndsu.edu/images/main/majors2002....photo_main.jpg

The Sicatoka,

I just can't resist. Doctors are obviously the only people allowed to carry a stethoscope, huh? Nurses never could, because NDSU has a Nursing program. Someone in a Pre-Med program would never wear one either, because NDSU has one of those-LINK.

The following paragraph should be noted from the above link:

Pre-Professional and

Medically Allied Programs Fact Sheet

College of Science and Mathematics

If you wish to become a physician, an optometrist, a dentist, a podiatrist, a chiropractor or an osteopath, this fact sheet may answer some of your questions about allied health programs available at North Dakota State University.

The Program

Pre-professional programs usually consist of four years of college. This is followed by four additional years in a professional school. While state-supported professional schools usually admit very few nonresidents, a resident of Minnesota attending NDSU and applying to the University of Minnesota Medical School will be given the same consideration as a Minnesota resident who has received a pre-medical education in Minnesota. Similarly, North Dakota residents are given equal priority by the University of North Dakota (UND) School of Medicine regardless of graduation from NDSU, UND, or any other university of equal standing

Wow, who is the one suffering from insecurity? :D

Gateway Football Commissioner Patty Viverito I think just stepped on NDSU's toes.

While I was watching the Youngstown and SMS game during half time Fox did an interview w/ her.

The Gateway Conference is NOT interested in NDSU because of (get this)

GEOGRAPHY! ;)

They IMHO are waiting for 2004 also to see what the NCAA is up to. ;)

So NDSU fans, still want to go it alone and find a conference?Or maybe the NCC as a whole moving up isn't so bad after all. ;):D:0