SiouxSports.com Forum

Peter Armbrust

sprig

This was a good article. Always liked Armbrust, even though he wasn't always a regular. Always busted his butt.

Will NEVER forget sitting at the Civic Center in St. Paul in 1997, Final Five championship game, watching that big juicy rebound come out front and PA burying the biscuit in OT to win that championship. Incredible game.

Peter, I think, was captain of the Sioux in 2000 even though he didn't play every game, or was a checking line player most of the time.

Peter, I think, was captain of the Sioux in 2000 even though he didn't play every game, or was a checking line player most of the time.

Armbrust was indeed the captain of the 2000 national champion Fighting Sioux team. He played in 43 of 44 games that season. During the Frozen Four, he was on a line with Wes Dorey and Brad DeFauw.

This was a good article.  Always liked Armbrust, even though he wasn't always a regular.  Always busted his butt.

Will NEVER forget sitting at the Civic Center in St. Paul in 1997, Final Five championship game, watching that big juicy rebound come out front and PA burying the biscuit in OT to win that championship.  Incredible game.

Dagies He pretty much played every game but on the fourth line in the later years.

He played 150 games in his career. So he didn't miss many at all.

1996-97 U. of North Dakota NCAA Games 40

1997-98 U. of North Dakota NCAA Games 34

1998-99 U. of North Dakota NCAA Game 37

1999-00 U. of North Dakota NCAA Games 43

154 Games

Will NEVER forget sitting at the Civic Center in St. Paul in 1997, Final Five championship game, watching that big juicy rebound come out front and PA burying the biscuit in OT to win that championship. Incredible game.

Amen. I'm sure that's what he'll be remembered for. Although Schweitzer was almost a god in that game.

I was at that game as well when I was a student at the U of M. Almost as much fun as the game was my friends and I going back to the dorms afterwards wearing our Sioux garb and watching all the glum students glaring at us. Then asking a friend of mine (who was a Gopher fan) to take my shift at work that night so I could go to the party for the team at their hotel. :0:lol:;)

:0 Ahhh...good times, that 1997 Final Five. I think I've mentioned this story a time or two, but I'll do it again. Four drunk Gopher fans were sitting about three rows in front of my friend and I at that game. The rest of the section was pretty much non-committed St Cloud fans. These four clowns went thru beer like it was going out of style and each one did his share of yelling..."where the f***is North Dakota," "Sioux s**k s**t," and "Where's the sheep?...Grand Forks!" comments rained down on us all night. The whole section was pretty peeved at these guys and someone had to shut them up. Anyways, Peter's goal goes in the net and these four bozos scamper for the exits. My glee turns to revenge as I grab one of the guys by his shirt as he runs by me and I yell at him "do you know where North Dakota is now, a**hole?". The look on his face was priceless.

A close second that night? Spotting two other Gopher fans wearing Jesse Bertogliat jerseys and mittens sitting in the section next to us (Jesse remembered for his 20 career points at the U of M along with his 99 PIM's)...during a quiet moment when these guys were standing up hamming it for the camera, I yelled out "Hey everyone, it's discount night on Bertogliat jerseys at Gold Country." The whole section burst into laughter and these guys suddenly realized I was talking about them.

One disappointing thing about the Peter Armbrust article...how about mentioning what he's doing NOW? It's been seven years since that memorable season.

I ran into Pete at the Sioux-Gopher games at Mariucci last year and he said he hung up the skates after the 2002-03 season and was back in Edina and planning on getting into - I think - real estate.

You guys are right; Peter was one of the unsung heroes on some powerful Sioux teams. The type of player every championship team needs at least one of.

Hockeydb.com has an excellent database totalling players' college, minor, and pro careers. Here are Peter Armbrust's career totals:

1996-1997: 40 games, 10 goals, 6 assists, 26 PIM's.

1997-1998: 34 games, 4 goals, 5 assists, 20 PIM's.

1998-1999: 37 games, 6 goals, 8 assists, 42 PIM's.

1999-2000: 43 games, 1 goal, 10 assists, 33 PIM's.

2000-2001: Quad City (UHL) 53 games, 14 goals, 15 assists, 12 PIM's.

2001-2002: Quad City (UHL) 73 games, 16 goals, 15 assists, 32 PIM's.

2002-2003: South Carolina (ECHL) 72 games, 6 goals, 10 assists, 30 PIM's.

Unsung player is correct. A great captain who led by the example of his hustle and work ethic on the ice as opposed to the number of pucks he put in the net.

One disappointing thing about the Peter Armbrust article...how about mentioning what he's doing NOW? It's been seven years since that memorable season.

The online version of the story left out some of the information that the print version contained.

He currently resides in St. Louis Park, MN and is a commercial real estate broker.