SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Sioux WALK-ON tryouts

SiouxGreen

Anyone know any information on the usual or norm of Sioux walkons and do we usually pick any of them up?

Are they open to the public?

Have any of you tried to get on the team? I'm pretty sure you have to be enrolled in school and I bet they get a good turnout.

Let's discuss this

They actually dropped the rule that you have to be enrolled in school. Because of this, the Sioux expect to contend for the Division II title with many ex-NFlers on their roster. Mike Ditka is said to be coming to the Sioux...to play defense, which is why he will not be running for senator in Illinois. Robert Smith, fresh off his new book is said to be bored and is toying around with playing for the Sioux as well...if he does well in walk on tryouts.

This past weekend I had an opportunity to watch the Missouri East-West All-Star Football Game. This game features the best players in the state going to Division I I-AA and II players. I was very interested to learn that there was a Player from Kansas City, Mo who is going to UND and plans to try out for the Sioux.

His name is Thomas Ecklund he played at Park Hill High School a Class 5 school where he played QB and lead his team to there first ever State Championship. The program listed him as 5'-11" 195 lbs. He is a dual threat QB and is very difficult to get to frastrated the heck out of several D-I players and is very fast on his feet, and hits extremely hard for a QB. Threw one TD plass was 4 of 6 for 110 yds and rushed for 40 yds on 6 carries looked to be sacked 3 times and never lost any yards made the east defensive line and linebackers look silly and these are all good players. Looks like UND is getting a good walk-on candidate!

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at some spots in Kansas City to see what I could find out about Ecklund and came across a website that shows him on a couple of plays first one is a game early in the year against Grand View High School and the second one is the Quarterfinals against Winnetonka High School were they were down 13-7 and won with no time left on the clock. http://www.kcteamsports.com/videos.htm

He rushed for over 103 yds in the State Championship game including a 39 yard run from scrimmage to score the first touchdown in the game and a two point conversion around the outside. From what I've heard he is a pretty good athlete all conference selection, and a 3 year lettermen in both Football & Basball. Don't know if he is up there yet or when the walk-ons report but he is some one who may contribute on either side of the ball. One coach in his conference told me he is glad he graduated and won't have to play against him again.