SiouxSports.com Forum

Drew Stafford

schmidtdoggydog

I saw the EPSN article with Stafford going #5 and wanted to see what others are projecting. TSN.ca has him going #9 to Anaheim with comment that "The Ducks would be getting a character forward with good offensive upside." Hockeynews.com has Stafford going #12 to the Wild:

12. Minnesota Wild: Drew Stafford, RW, U of North Dakota (WCHA)

The Wild may be tempted to select whichever netminder the Kings leave them--if one of Schwarz or Montoya is still on the board. However, look for GM Doug Risebrough to prefer local kid Stafford at No. 12. With 2003 pick (20th overall) Brent Burns converting from right wing to defense, adding Stafford to the club's right side makes a lot of sense.

Hockeynews.com is going to have an updated mock draft out tomorrow according to their site. I'll be curious to see if they move Stafford up.

TSN doesn't have Zajac going in the first round, but Hockeynews has Zajac going #15:

15. Nashville Predators: Travis Zajac, C, Salmon Arm (BCHL)

The Predators will focus on the center position in Round 1, since it's their greatest organizational weakness. Zajac, Chipchura, Jakub Sindel, Johannes Salmonsson and Petteri Nokelainen may all be considered at No. 15 but it may come down to Zajac's long-term potential versus Chipchura's all-around game. Nashville GM David Poile could go in either direction.

Almost everything that I have read goes something like this:

Travis Zajac dominated against lesser competition, he was a step ahead of everyone in his league.....almost everyone puts him really late in the first round(not everyone), or early in the second round.

The only negatives I'm taking away from him is that some people think that he hasn't played against "real' competition.

****Also, everyone who has saw him play this year said that he was the best player in the BCHL by far****

The Hockey News magazine had Stafford at #9 and Zajac at #24...I know Stafford is in the top 10 for ISS as well as Redline, I'm not sure about Zajac though. Mckeen's has Stafford at #12 and Zajac at #28. So it looks like Stafford could go anywhere from 5-15? And Zajac looks like he might sneek in the first round possibly. Does anyone know about Radke's draft status?

The Hockey News magazine had Stafford at #9 and Zajac at #24...I know Stafford is in the top 10 for ISS as well as Redline, I'm not sure about Zajac though. Mckeen's has Stafford at #12 and Zajac at #28. So it looks like Stafford could go anywhere from 5-15? And Zajac looks like he might sneek in the first round possibly. Does anyone know about Radke's draft status?

somewhere between 5th and 7th round for Radke. I THINK it was 5th Round as a projection.

The NHL CSS lists Kyle Radke as the #169 North American skater. He gets knocked on because he's under six feet (5' 11") and under 200 pounds (190).

Hockey's Future says he's the 9th best available player from the CJAHL (the Canadian non-Major Junior leagues). They also list Travis Zajac as the best available in that category. Stafford is listed as the 2nd best available NCAA player (Montoya, Michigan's goalie).

More information on Radke and Zajac and Stafford.

As much as it would be nice to see Drew stay close to home, I'd rather see him wearing a jersey other than Minnesota's.

[rant]

I'm starting to question just what the Minnesota GM intends to do about scoring on that team as he seems to pursue rejected defensive forwards all the time. It would seem that they need a player like Hull, Nash, Datsyuk, et. al. You know, goal scorers? I think they have an organization chock full of defensive players. Until they start seeking out goalscorers and playmakers aggressively, the Wild will just be another mediocre team based around a goaltending tandem that is underrated (yes, I say this: If Roloson and Fernandez were to both get injured, the Wild would make a run for the worst team in the NHL. NO goalscorers, no offense at all. Just defensive players, role players, and Marion Gaborik)

[/rant]