SiouxSports.com Forum

Article from new NSIC commish

Hansel

Why do currents matter?

The theme with going DI-AA is increased costs. PSU is a case study showing this.

UND probably would not have the same percentage increase in cost.

I am pretty sure NDSU's budget is not going to double.

From Dr. Kupchella's letter on this subject:

We estimate (conservatively) that we would need $2-3 million in additional revenue each year to do as well as we do now if we played across the board at the Division I level.
The "we" in there includes Roger Thomas and Dr. Phil Harmeson (UND's NCAA faculty representative).

PS - Same source:

UND's current athletic budget is $5.8 million ($1.8 million of which is for hockey) per year ...

Interesting, as this is what was reported to the government for 2002-2003:

From-LINK

Expenses

Men's Teams Women's Teams Total

Basketball $351,870  $292,565  $644,435 

Football $865,484    $865,484 

Total Expenses of all Sports, except football and basketball, combined $1,596,003  $1,169,270  $2,765,273 

Total Expenses $2,813,357  $1,461,835  $4,275,192 

Not allocated by sport    $2,468,509 

Grand Total    $6,743,701 

From that OPE site, how can NDSU possibly be in compliance with Title IX with numbers like these?

Unduplicated Count of Participants (in athletic programs)

Men: 277 Women: 121

How long before the equestrian team and its 60-100 women start riding (and cleaning up the pens)?

The other figure that is quite striking is this:

All Track Combined

# of Men:143 # of Women: 106

How can the NDSU program possibly support these kind of numbers?

There are 3 factors involved in Title IX compliance.

To evaluate equality in participation, OCR considers three factors:

Whether male and female students are participating in athletics in numbers roughly proportional to their enrollment at the institution

Whether the institution has a history of expanding opportunities for the underrepresented sex

Whether an institution

What year was Kupchella's letter talking about?

The letter was dated February 21, 2002.

As far as what is reported where, how does UND (or any institution) do its accounting versus how the OPE requests that the numbers be reported?

I'd heard that Arizona St. did that. I'm not sure if that's the same source or a different one.

I remember that from a piece on "Sixty Minutes". They basically had to scout the entire country to fill spots on the roster, while there are hundreds of talented male gymnasts and wrestlers who have nowhere to continue their careers.

From that OPE site, how can NDSU possibly be in compliance with Title IX with numbers like these?

In answer to your question, here are excerpts from the Executive Summary of the Carr Report to NDSU:

Title IX Compliance

In 2000-2001, the Consultant found a 12.3% difference between the participation rate of women student-athletes and their enrollment in the student body.

The Consultant also found a number of high school sports in North Dakota and Minnesota that are not offered by NDSU. A University survey also showed some interest in women