SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Game

SiouxFan4Life

What an exciting game it was....atleast if you like defense. Man...So many things stood out. Tom DeSautel was statistically player of the game...Two maybe three interceptions isnt bad. I dont know if a starting spot is open, but he sure proved he can play. Jeff Richter had an interception looking similar to Chad Mustard rumbling into the endzone (though his celebration could use some work).. I dont remember anyone else standing out defensively because it was an all around dominant performance. Josh Brandstead layed a nice hit on Adam Roland.. and Zach Babington-Johnson looked quick off the edge as usual.

Offensively...Roland put together some nice runs, and so did Brandon Strouth..The offense was clearly out matched but they carried the ball well. I was interested to see how Demetrius Charles looked since he is soo speedy, yet I was not impressed, though I dont recall him getting the ball much. The Passing game was damn near non existent. The offense completed the longest pass of the day late to Alec Van Dyke. To sum it all up...Defense looked good, offense needs some work, but it should be exciting next year.

It seemed that last year, at least in the NC game, that you really emphasized the passing game. Do you expect that to be different this year? Did you lose some WRs?

We lost them all Frogger...top three receivers all graduated...there's some hope there though. We've got a couple guys who got some experience, including Caleb "The Human Scab" Johnson. They call him that because he'll dive anywhere, anytime for a ball and he had several (nice) catches in the spring game. The offense suffered a bit from our top QB having to sit out spring drills so it was a 3-way race for the #2 spot and they looked to be trying too hard - 6 turnovers is too much. I'm a little worried about the running game but the CRACK Adam Roland took and walked away from was encouraging...I think he'll be a lot tougher this year...Jim Miller has officially bagged it because of the knee problems - that's too bad. Overall, the defense did dominate, with a lot of younger guys making their presence known...that's encouraging too! Can't wait til the fall baby!!

A few thoughts on the spring game:

-it looked like the starting offensive line was Smith and Hoffelt at the tackles, Kuper and freshman Braegelmann at the guards, and Hendrickson at center. I'm not sure where Buisker fits in since he sat out with an apparent injury. Overall, I thought the line played pretty well considering who they were going against. Hopefully some depth can be developed since it will likely be needed at some point.

-as has been said by others, the defense looks loaded. Most positions look like they're legitimately 3-deep with very little drop-off. In particular, the competition at corner is going to be very interesting since I believe there are, at a minimum, five guys who look like they can play.

-as far as I could tell, there were only two defections from last fall, aside from Miller and Irvin not coming back for a 6th year. I didn't see Jordan Muro or Shane Wise on the roster. I know Muro was pretty highly thought of coming out of high school, but with Duchscher and Wolff and the return of Ross Brennan, he wasn't going to play much for a few years anyway.

-each of the quarterbacks made his share of mistakes, but I like Manke's ability. He seems to throw a very catchable ball, and he's a proven winner. I assume it's pretty close between he and Bellmore right now, although obviously I don't get to see what happens in practice. Presumably, Bellmore has played better this spring than what he showed on Saturday.

-I'm not overly worried about the offense. For one thing, I don't believe they will need to score 30-plus points a game if the defense does what I think it will. For another thing, this is by no means the least amount of experience returning UND has had, and the offense always seems to be pretty decent. As good as last year's receiving corps was, for the most part none of them had put up any big numbers prior to last year. There always seems to be at least one receiver who rises to the occasion, particularly in his senior year. Johnson will be fine as the number one option, and there's enough talent and competition behind him to round out a solid receiving corps. If the line holds up, this team will score points.

actually I thought Belmore was the only one who consistently moved the ball - although he stalled near and in the endzone - like I said in an earlier post - might just be young QB nerves. He's a Bowenkamp prototype and that's the type of QB Dale seems to favor. Manke has his moments and he has that "knack" to make something out of nothing but I think he needs another year or two in the program to bloom. The biggest ;)?? was Carney. Highly touted as a recruit - he bailed on UND for another school then came back. He's big, talented, but seems to lack the drive to push him to the top...just my thoughts...

actually I thought Belmore was the only one who consistently moved the ball - although he stalled near and in the endzone - like I said in an earlier post - might just be young QB nerves.  He's a Bowenkamp prototype and that's the type of QB Dale seems to favor.  Manke has his moments and he has that "knack" to make something out of nothing but I think he needs another year or two in the program to bloom.  The biggest ;)?? was Carney.  Highly touted as a recruit - he bailed on UND for another school then came back.  He's big, talented, but seems to lack the drive to push him to the top...just my thoughts...

I'm sure Bellmore can play, although statistically he struggled on Saturday--6-10 for just 35 yards, 2 int's and a fumble. :sad: Manke's stats were greatly helped by the long completion in the last possession, but he did have two fewer turnovers than Bellmore, and one fewer than Carney.

I'd like to hear from someone that attended the spring game conserning the offensive line play. Depth, rotation, pass blocking, run blocking,etc. All agaist, from what I've heard - one of the best "D"s in D2 next year.

I'd like to hear from someone that attended the spring game conserning the offensive line play. Depth, rotation, pass blocking, run blocking,etc. All agaist, from what I've heard - one of the best "D"s in D2 next year.

From what I've heard yes the defense will be absolutely incredible. I think the 3 of the 5 starters are back on the offensive line. THe whole offensive backfield is back which is very deep now. They lost 2 key wide receivers but still have a great group returning. I think they will be just fine on offense. Chris Mussman is a great offensive coordinator. Look for some new twists and turns this year. I will still stick with my earlier prediction that the Sioux will win the national title. They have the best coach who is committed to the program and thier defense will be un-movable.

The offense is still the the only real question. It will be a fun season!

I'd like to hear from someone that attended the spring game conserning the offensive line play.  Depth, rotation, pass blocking, run blocking,etc.  All agaist, from what I've heard - one of the best "D"s in D2 next year.

I thought the o-line played o.k., although as expected they had some trouble against the defense. With Smith and Kuper, you have two experienced guys to be the anchors of the line. Hendrickson has played some in the past, as well. It looks like Hoffelt and Braegelmann will have the inside track for the other two spots, so a big key will be how they can progress since they have no real game experience. I would think one of the biggest concerns will be depth since several younger guys will need to be ready to play. However, Mussman has certainly shown in the past that he can develop offensive linemen, so I have to think UND will be fine there by the time the first game rolls around. It's got to be beneficial to be able to practice against a defense which will probably be among the best in dII.

how did the D-line do. i know everyone said that the D did well but what about up front. i know that they will be missing two starters, one of which was all conference. i beileve newhouse and peterson are there and have play experience but they cant play the whole game. any body know?