SiouxSports.com Forum

National Anthem

Jackson

I did a little searching but haven't found a good thread discussing this yet. It's the... "and the land of the free, and the home of the SIOUX!" that I don't get.

Look, I am as much for school spirit as anyone. After a little checking into this I also found out that at a time (not recently) that sioux was replaced with Gophers at Mariucci.

I don't care who it is, it's wrong. It is disrespectful to those who have served our country then and those who do now.

Thoughts??

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts??

In what context? General? Philosophical? Sociological? Environmental? Continental? Bean and lentil? Alamo rental? What? You gotta provide some guidelines here or we're gonna be lost in a sea of tranquility or some such thing. Without any thought guidelines, I gotta just go with my thought instincts. Therefore my thought is this, Larry the Cable Guy is freaking hillarious. Do I win a prize now?

You gotta provide some guidelines here or we're gonna be lost in a sea of tranquility or some such thing.

So that you are not lost, come along with me.

How about the men and women who died for our country who don't give a crap about college hockey?

Anyone with a good reason why this isn't disrespectful?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Bueller?

My name isn't Bueller so please stop calling me that. Thank you

Any good reason why the Sioux name isn't disrespectful? It is all a matter of perspective. Things are offensive to some people and not offensive to others. If we banned everything that was disrespectful or that somebody didn't like, we wouldn't be allowed to do anything.

Because the Sioux warriors were brave and they are Americans as well....

You didn't answer my question...do you have a good reason why it is disrespectful?

Yes.

By replacing brave with sioux you are disrespecting all those who are/were not sioux.

In our arena it is the Home of the sioux. I have friends that are in the military, relatives that served in vietnam. Have been to many games with them and they say Home of the sioux also. I figure that if they are saying it, then they do not think it is disrespectful. Like diggler said, if everything that was disrespecful was banned then nothing would be allowed, because not matter what its gonna pi** off someone, someplace sometime.

jackson, you newbie, it's been done since the early 80's. i was in attendance as a kid and there's no hidden agenda. it's a sporting event not your philosophy class. lighten up 'eh. you might want to check out P.C. U. of St. Cloud for some educaton. if UND"s mascot was changed to a Zebra...........it'd still be "home of the SIOUX!"

I have a few friends and family who have served and are serving in the armed forces. I asked them if they thought it was disrespectful because I did not want to continue saying it myself if they though it was disrespectful. The two answers I got were:

1. I am not offended by it and don't really care.

2. Why not use it? The Sioux and other American Indians were here first so technically it is the home of the Sioux.

After a little checking into this I also found out that at a time (not recently) that sioux was replaced with Gophers at Mariucci.

I think you are wrong if you think that practice has ended at Mariucci. I will say I was not at Mariucci this year for the first time in many years, so maybe I'm wrong.

While we are on the topic of the Anthem, I'd like to turn off on a different road (since this one seems to be dead ending).

I would like to propose one of 2 things regarding the Anthem at hockey games:

1. Do the Anthem BEFORE player introductions. Due to the overwhelming numbers of contemporary singers who feel they need to "over-sing" the Anthem, I find it sucking the life out of the crowd right after we got worked up during intro's. Why not play the Anthem, then work the crowd into a lather and drop the puck. Keep some continuity in the emotional flow of the game. They do this at my niece's D3 basketball games and it works MUCH better.

2. Singers, the Anthem is a great song on it's own. It's not meant to be prettified. It doesn't lend itself to prettifying. It's a grand song, not a pretty song. It's not a love song. It's a strong song. Sing it straight forward. It sounds SOOOOO much better that way.

I will say this year's Final Five as a whole was MUCH better than previous years.

2. Singers, the Anthem is a great song on it's own. It's not meant to be prettified. It doesn't lend itself to prettifying. It's a grand song, not a pretty song. It's not a love song. It's a strong song. Sing it straight forward. It sounds SOOOOO much better that way.

I really cringe when someone sings our national anthem and it sounds like it is the anthem for a different country.

What I'd like to recommend is that people in the stands SING along with the national anthem. I'll grant you that when you have an on-ice singer who's turned the "Star Spangled Banner" into "God Knows What," this is not easy to do but I think we should try. There have been a few times at the Ralph when there seemed to be more participation than usual in the singing of our anthem and I gotta say, it gave me chills. I assume that Jackson always joins in and sings the song straight through from "Oh say" to "home of the [in his case] brave"?