SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Native...Olson

mezzy05

Josh Olson of Grand Forks was named the San Antonio Rampage "Man of the Year" through his contributions to the community of San Antonio...not to mention his three goals in the last two games. Goren is also on a five game scoring streak as captain of the team down here. Both are the nucleus of the team and bring it every night...must be the water in Grand Forks..

Olson--AHL Man of the Year (San Antonio)

Who is Josh Olson, and where did he play hockey (in Grand Forks?)? I have never heard of him before.

Played high school hockey in Roseau. Went to the USHL and played first at Omaha, then for the FM Ice Sharks. Was recruited by, and committed to, UND while at Omaha. Didn't seem to develop as quickly as intended and was released of his committment. Then was recruited by Minnesota, committing there as well. Never attended U of M, instead opting for the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL (Canadian Major Junior).

Olson was never really released from his commitment to UND. Blais chose not to honor that commitment after telling Olson both in Dec. and March that he would sign him in April and not to worry. Come April, Blais had no time for him. By the way, it's his younger brother who is having a good year for UND's baseball team. If you think Blais is a man of his word, think again.

Olson was never really released from his commitment to UND. Blais chose not to honor that commitment after telling Olson both in Dec. and March that he would sign him in April and not to worry. Come April, Blais had no time for him. By the way, it's his younger brother who is having a good year for UND's baseball team. If you think Blais is a man of his word, think again.

I'm sure there is more to the story. This is one of the top D1 programs in the country, not Pee Wee B hockey. Some kids are going to get burned. In 2001 Blais said he was going to give Pat O'Leary, a walk on that played well, a scholership the next season. The next season he cuts him, I'm not going to go out and call DB a liar, I'm sure their is more to the story.

There was also a rumor that Olson didn't have the ACT or GPA to get into school, as both UND and UM tried signing him. I would never say this as fact because I have no idea what went on, just like you.

Dean Blais does what is best for the UND program and the players. If he decides they will not fit into his game plan, he's not going to string them along. His numbers speak for themselves for his coaching abilities. His on and off ice interviews are always classy and down to earth. (except, maybe, his comments towards the goalies :D ).

I'm sure there is more to the story. This is one of the top D1 programs in the country, not Pee Wee B hockey. Some kids are going to get burned. In 2001 Blais said he was going to give Pat O'Leary, a walk on that played well, a scholership the next season. The next season he cuts him, I'm not going to go out and call DB a liar, I'm sure their is more to the story.

There was also a rumor that Olson didn't have the ACT or GPA to get into school, as both UND and UM tried signing him. I would never say this as fact because I have no idea what went on, just like you.

Dean Blais does what is best for the UND program and the players. If he decides they will not fit into his game plan, he's not going to string them along. His numbers speak for themselves for his coaching abilities. His on and off ice interviews are always classy and down to earth. (except, maybe, his comments towards the goalies :D ).

I would have to say that Josh is a Roseau product, after being born in GF :angry:

Josh played a key roll on Roseau's championship team in 1999.....he was set to go to UND, however Blais wanted him to go back to juniors for another year. He didn't want to, and thus made the switch to go pro!

Josh was an excellent student, so I don't believe one bit that it was anything to do with grades.....other than he was not interested in going back to juniors for another year!

Olson's grades and ACT scores were fine. (It was Canady who had the trouble there.) Blais sent then assistant Bowen down to Omaha in March to tell Olson he would be signed in April- ask Bowen if that's the truth. Blais himself told Olson the same thing in person in Dec. or so. Come April, Blais wouldn't sign him. If that's not being a liar I don't know what is. Blais does what is best for Blais. Blais didn't know if he wanted Olson anymore but he knew he didn't want some other team to have him so he strung him along. But, hey, it's all water under the bridge and I'll bet Olson is happy to be where he is today. Blais is no choir boy.

Olson's grades and ACT scores were fine.  (It was Canady who had the trouble there.) 
Canady? The same Canady that was named to the All-WCHA Academic Team?
Blais sent then assistant Bowen down to Omaha in March to tell Olson he would be signed in April-  ask Bowen if that's the truth. Blais himself told Olson the same thing in person in Dec. or so.  Come April, Blais wouldn't sign him.  If that's not being a liar I don't know what is.  Blais does what is best for Blais. 
And why shouldn't he? Should he do what is best for you? Or me? Or who? :D Shouldn't putting the best possible team on the ice he can be his priority? He's certainly allowed some discretion on that point.
Blais didn't know if he wanted Olson anymore but he knew he didn't want some other team to have him so he strung him along.  But, hey, it's all water under the bridge and I'll bet Olson is happy to be where he is today.  Blais is no choir boy.

Your last point is complete bunk. So why, then, did Josh sign with, and enroll at, Minnesota, only to leave LATE for the Portland Winterhawks? Did Blais make him do that as well?

Mr Hoyt

It's fine to disagree. But YOU need to get your facts right. Brian Canady didn't come to UND when planned because he needed to get his ACT higher. That's not a crime. Some people who are smart enough just don't take the test well.

Olson never signed or enrolled at MN. After Blais wouldn't sign him as promised, Olson was really was in a tough spot. Lucia was willing to talk to him. A verbal commitment really screws the kid. The coach can choose to string you along for a very long time while other coaches are very reluctant to talk to you. The coach is totally in control and the kid is at his mercy. As for Olson making his decisions LATE, can't you figure out why he had no choice but to make his decisions late? Who wouldn't want everything signed early and decided? Again, the athete is at the mercy of the coach's ethics.

Blais didn't make Olson do anything. You're right. He handcuffed the kid but things have a way of working out with hard work.

The coach has to do what he thinks is right for the program- or himself. Again, you're right. But you don't think there is any obligation to be honest with the athlete?

Canady? The same Canady that was named to the All-WCHA Academic Team?

Wake up. Gee, a guy was able to pull "B's" while challanging himself in the academic world of Frank White courses and ceramics....when is his application for the Rhodes Scholarship due?

A verbal commitment really screws the kid.

I'm not sure about that. After a verbal a kid can still look around.

I hesitate to mention any names because any info I have is sketchy but I think more connected posters in this neighborhood could tell stories of recruits who visited UND and said they were going to come and then went on visits elsewhere and signed elsewhere. That would be a case of recruits leaving the school hanging.

Wake up. Gee, a guy was able to pull "B's" while challanging himself in the academic world of Frank White courses and ceramics....when is his application for the Rhodes Scholarship due?

Basil provides yet another example of ignorance in action. Unfortunately, he doesn't know how stupid this comment makes him sound.

When you make light of the WCHA All-Academic team you make light of it for all members, from all institutions, of the team.

Could you have made it?

To earn a position on the All-WCHA Academic Team, student-athletes must meet the following criteria:

1) have completed at least one year of residency at present institution prior to the current academic year;

2) have a grade point average of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) for the previous two semesters or three quarters, or may qualify if his overall GPA is at least 3.00 for all terms at his present institution; and

3) have competed in at least one-half of his institution's varsity intercollegiate ice hockey games during the current season (goaltenders must have played at least 33% of his team's minutes during the course of the season to be eligible).

We have different opinions about Blais' recruiting tactics. That's fine. I think he's lucky he has the incredible arena to aid in his recruiting because the hockey world is waking up to his ways. Lucia knew in mid-August that Olson wasn't coming and Olson never signed. Ask Lucia if he thinks Olson left him hanging and I'd bet Lucia barely even remembers Olson. Read about what Blais' word meant to Luke Beaverton and Pat O'Leary and obviously there's a trend. Blais' winning percentage says he's a great coach, but there's different ways to measure greatness.

To earn a position on the All-WCHA Academic Team, student-athletes must meet the following criteria:

read it yourself - all it says you are a good hockey player and played a lot for your team- getting B's in easy classes is not that difficult. He is a good player - I am just saying lets not get carried away with his smarts! If you can't get B's in general college courses - there is something wrong with you. I assure you he is not sitting in organic chemistry or advanced physics.

I might have an easier time believing the accusations being leveled against Blais if the people making them weren't hiding behind the cloak of anonymity. There's no way to judge the accuracy of their information or the credibility of their words.

read it yourself - all it says you are a good hockey player and played a lot for your team- getting B's in easy classes is not that difficult. He is a good player - I am just saying lets not get carried away with his smarts! If you can't get B's in general college courses - there is something wrong with you. I assure you he is not sitting in organic chemistry or advanced physics.

Let's correct that to be wholly accurate, and disparage the entire WCHA All-Academic team, if you insist:

"all it says you are a good hockey player and played a lot for your team- getting B's in easy classes is not that difficult. They are good players - I am just saying lets not get carried away with their smarts! If you can't get B's in general college courses - there is something wrong with you. I assure you they are not sitting in organic chemistry or advanced physics."