SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Lost

killer4president

I disagree. It was a pattern last year, but you just can't say that it was a consistent problem for a team that won 30 games, that led the nation in scoring (by a lot), and that led the nation is scoring differential.

Yes UND led in scoring, but they still had a lot of games where they outshot their opponent but didn't win. Of their 11 losses/ties, UND outshot their opponent 8 times.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, one can't just look at SOG and claim that the teams with the most SOG should win most games.

Denver was playing a very defensive game, not taking a lot of SOG, but when they did get one off it was a series of cross-passes and traffic in front of the net that resulted in a high percentage shot. UND seemed a bit more desperate as the game went on, throwing the rubber straight at the net frequently, hoping one would sneak but; but a lot of those were lower percentage shots.

It's no coincidence that Denver played a game similar to Holy Cross's -- that's how you beat the fast passing, high-shooting teams the Sioux have had under Blais. Slow it down, frustrate the Sioux and try to reduce their advantage in fundamentals and speed, patiently wait for quality scoring chances rather than try to compete straight on in a wide open game.

Let's be honest, we only "hate" each other because we both have great programs with high expectations and long winning tradition.

I agree for the most part. My sister goes to "the U" and I really don't feel that much animosity towards the college. I guess the reason why I dislike the Gophers so much is because of what you say plus the minority of Gopher fans that go out of their way to be poor sports. I know it is the minority, but sometimes it is the minority that can ruin it for everyone. We should know, here at UND. Because if it weren't for the minority, UND students at the Ralph would be able to stand, exercise free speech, and have fun at the games in any non-violent manner they see fit.

A good rivalry is worth its weight in gold these days and we don't find one any greater up in Grand Forks than the Gopher-Sioux rivalry (expecially since the Bison-Sioux football rivalry is dead). It's just the saddest thing for a Sioux fan to come home to find out we lost 1-0 against a team that, though they have a great tradition, was inferior to yours. It also hurts that the West Regional is regarded as the easiest track to the Frozen Four.

I think PCM's article, on the other hand, about the goaltending, has been thoroughly justified now. There can not be an argument whether or not Brandt would have done better.

:0 I just returned from the game in Colorado Springs......and though it was a long 6 hour drive for me to get back home, I can only think how much of a longer trip it must be for the sioux.

I must give credit to the DU team. They did get outplayed......but in the end they showed great determination and were just a bit hungrier. I say this because from where we were seated, we could see the energy from the DU bensch. Throughout most of the game they were standing, and their line changes were extremely efficient and FAST!! The sioux at times looked like they were going through the motions. (why the 30 second line shifts for the sioux....they didn't look that tired??)

The goal that DU scored was an example....it started off as a 2 on 3 for DU and the two defenseman for the sioux really didn't pick the play up. Granted it was a great pass and equally as impressive of a shot, but should have never gotton to that point. BUT congrats to DU as in the end, it's only the score that counts.

I would like to thank all of the SIOUX FANS that were there! It was a very somber atmosphere at Carrabbas after the game, and like many a very difficult night of sleeping...thought the several long island's did help a bit. There were several fans unlike myself that traveled a long way for this game....Las Vegas NV, Albaquereque NM, Minneapolis MN, Bottineau MN, and so many more......and these are the fans that make it so fun>> Thanks

Hopefully a better year next year......and hope the HNL strike will keep Parise and Bochenski around for another year.

My disappointment in the outcome of the game is just starting to subside, being palliated by the Gopher loss to UMD. Imagine the hell our lives would be if the Gophers three-peated?

I wish the Bulldogs and the Pios luck in Boston. BC & Maine both look strong so it should be a great Frozen Four.

Also want to thank my Sioux for another great year of hockey. I feel that they played their hearts out against Denver but it just wasn't meant to be. I'm proud of the effort the boys put forth on the ice and believe that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Next year can't come soon enough; "April in Columbus" sounds like a plan.

Goodbye and good luck to the seniors--Ryan, Tyler and Lundy. Thanks for being part of our great tradition.

I just returned from the game late last night, a 15 hour drive. I am extremely frustrated. Yes, the Sioux outplayed Denver. However, this team turned out to be what a good friend and Gopher fan told me all year: If you shut down the Parise-Bochenski-Murray line, you have a good chance of winning. Denver matched up the checking line with Zach's line, and put Caldwell on the ice against our top line. Quite frankly, other than Prpich, most of the other forwards did not do much. However, that is only part of the problem. Don Lucia "exposed" the Sioux at Mariucci by keeping everyone down low to cover the forwards and to block shots. Our defensemen are very good, but we still lack the defenseman who jumps into the play to keep the other team "honest." I'm not really sure why the Sioux D do not jump into the play very often because it seems that Fuher and Jones have the ability. Perhaps that is just how they are coached. In any event, we appeared very one-dimensional in both games. In other words, if Parise-Bochenski-Murray did not score, we are in deep trouble.

If it turns out that Zach is gone, that is very unfortunate. In my opinion, he is by far the best player in the WCHA and probably the country. You will not realize just how good he is until he is gone. I am frustrated because I would have loved to see Zach win a national championship, and I am concerned that the Sioux's window of opportunity may have closed. Yes, the Sioux have some good players coming in and some good young players, but so do CC, Wisconsin and others. With Parise and Bochenski, the Sioux were the most talented team in the WCHA. Without them, they are not. :0