SiouxSports.com Forum

Last Chance U

F'n Hawks

I thought it was interesting. The school really caters to the players. They have some pretty strict rules about attendance and grades, but they also baby the players to get them through it. The focus on grades is just to keep them eligible to play or to move on to a 4 year school, they don't seem to be worried about players actually getting an education. It really shows the importance that the region places on football.

21 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I thought it was interesting. The school really caters to the players. They have some pretty strict rules about attendance and grades, but they also baby the players to get them through it. The focus on grades is just to keep them eligible to play or to move on to a 4 year school, they don't seem to be worried about players actually getting an education. It really shows the importance that the region places on football.

Some of the players they get are hardly literate what else would you expect? If nobody ever expected those kids to do anything other than ball in highschool how could they possibly be prepared for college?

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Some of the players they get are hardly literate what else would you expect? If nobody ever expected those kids to do anything other than ball in highschool how could they possibly be prepared for college?

If they are barely literate they probably aren't good candidates to be students at a Division I school. Everything is about football for them, education is more of an afterthought. It will work out for a few and they may make it to the NFL for a little while. Most of them will probably end up back where they came from. Most of them seem to come from broken homes and low income areas. That isn't their fault. It also isn't their fault that they aren't prepared for college. It's just too bad that so few of them will take advantage of a chance to get an education and maybe improve their lives.

8 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

If they are barely literate they probably aren't good candidates to be students at a Division I school. Everything is about football for them, education is more of an afterthought. It will work out for a few and they may make it to the NFL for a little while. Most of them will probably end up back where they came from. Most of them seem to come from broken homes and low income areas. That isn't their fault. It also isn't their fault that they aren't prepared for college. It's just too bad that so few of them will take advantage of a chance to get an education and maybe improve their lives.

It's a very complex situation and a different one for each guy. You can't help but feel bad for some of them and others not so much.

44 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's a very complex situation and a different one for each guy. You can't help but feel bad for some of them and others not so much.

There were a couple of guys that you just wanted to shake and tell them to wake up. Then there was the guy who got it at the end of the season. He transferred to a school for the education and decided to give up football. He knew he couldn't play at the DI level. I'm pretty sure his family had a little money so he could afford to go to college without the football scholarship. Definitely a complex situation and each player has their own challenges.

3 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

There were a couple of guys that you just wanted to shake and tell them to wake up. Then there was the guy who got it at the end of the season. He transferred to a school for the education and decided to give up football. He knew he couldn't play at the DI level. I'm pretty sure his family had a little money so he could afford to go to college without the football scholarship. Definitely a complex situation and each player has their own challenges.

he is now a walk on qb are ole miss

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Very true.  Kids can't control their surroundings and their influnces growing up.  I found myself cheering for them to show up for class than to win games.