SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Regional

UNDvince97-01

Can any sdsu fans please explain what happened with your men's team against Metro State? If my eyes werent deceiving me, 109-69 was the final, and that shocks me. the sdsu men are and always have been a very tough squad. i can't believe they got blown out by 40 in a regional. would any sdsu fans that were there please explain what happened in that game.

I wasn't there but listened to it on the internet. The one thing SDSU stressed was critical to have any success against a team like Metro was to limit turnovers and rebound. We had close to 20 turnovers in the first half under the constant pressure and were down big in the first half even though we shot over 50%. Metro is a school with mostly foreign exchange students that our 25,26 years old and it was a men vs boys. Andy Moeller played well but was alone. Matt Jones dressed but could not play after playing the previous night. We are just not athletic enough inside without him. I'm afraid these are the kind of beatings we will take for a while as we ramp up our program to the next level. It would have been nice to repay them for the one point loss they gave us two years ago in Brookings in the Championship game of the regional. They went on to win the National Championship that year and suspect they will do the same this year as they have one 28 in a row and play Kearney who they have beaten bad 3 times this year.

I recall reading earlier this year about how Metro is considering dropping its athletic program altogether. Even if that's not necessarily going to happen soon, their coach would be crazy to not be looking to move on to a more stable situation soon. I doubt they draw too well considering its a commuter school in a major metropolitan area with a lot of other sports going on. It would be hard to believe Metro pays very well, either. But they have certainly done very well in men's basketball for most of the past 15 years.

Jack Guy....are you kidding me......40 points.......i dont care if they do win another national title.......you thought SDSU was so good and the #2 team in the country....if SDSU is that good they shouldnt get beat by 40 points.......come on....once again......win the NCC conference and win one game in the regional and go home.....how can you consider this to be a successful season and continue to talk smack about how good SDSU men are and have been??? amazes me????

Legend-what can I say we got our asses handed to us last night by a much superior team and most likely National Champion. I can't recall a Nagy coach team ever being beaten like that. Did we meet the expectations of a team with this much talent NO! We played well against Northern Friday night but couldn't compete with the talent Metro has and evidently nobody else recently has either. I wouldn't call a 27-7 season a failure either!

I was just looking over the Metro State roster, and they are all normal college aged kids. No one is older then 23, so they do not have any BYUesque age/maturity advantage, so that argument doesn't standup. They are just a damn good team. By the looks of them, they are tall across the board, 6-5 guards, and they can all shoot it from the outside. Not to mention they have CJ Massingale, a guy who I remember lighting UCLA up a few years ago while he was a starter and pretty good player in the Pac-10 at Washington. I don't see how they are going to be beat.

I'd say if we just lost to the eventual National Champion regardless of the score and they continue to beat the rest of the field in the same fashion I would call 27-7 a very successful season. SDSU had one of the most difficult non-conference schedules and finished 16-0. I guess in your eyes anything short of a National Championship for the Jacks was a bad season. I guess you don't have the same benchmark for your own club. If the Jacks were a failure by winning the most games in school history what would you label the UND season at 14-14? Will the UND women be a failure this year if they lose to the Jacks tonight?

jack guy...seriously what is your malfunction.....you come into UND's chat room, talk smack about how great your men and women's teams are, your men's team gets beat by 40......i dont care how good metro st is supposed to be is or will be....if your ranked 15th in the country and lose by 40 hello houston there is a problem....the sioux fans point is that you talk all that hype and your team sucked......they bit the big one.....so dont come in here and brag about how good of a season they had...no one cares...they got killed...smoked....if the wbb team of the sioux lost by 40 tonight to end the season i would call it a poor way to end the season hence you want to be at your best at the end of the year.....when you lose by 40 you have no excuses......that is absolutely brutal.....

It amazes me how so many of the Jack fans think they are going to D1 and after just a couple of transition years they are going to "kick some ass" in bb. They have not won a national title in my lifetime and I can't remember the last time they made the Elite 8. They ought to look to the west at UNC to see how their first year in D1 will look. UNC didn't beat ONE D1 school in bb - in fact they didn't even come close. In theory the Jack fans say they are ready for the struggles but in practice after you sit thru a bunch of those 5-24 years you realize losing is worse than you thought. They might "kick some ass" but I say the odds are greatly against that.

I know many of their fans are so excited to go D1 but when was their last NCC fb championship - I think President Kennedy was still alive for that thing. And I think their last national championship in bb was NEVER. I guess by some magical karma they will all of sudden be great in D1. I am looking forward to my trips to Duluth now instead of that rat infested crap hole of Brookings, SD.