SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Native in NHL...

mezzy05

Not sure when the last time this happened, but Josh Olson, a Grand Forks native, will make his debut in the NHL this evening! While he lived in Roseau throughout middle school and high school, he was born in GF and went to Lake Agassiz. Anyone know when the last person actually born in GF played in the NHL? Just curious...

Josh Olson Recalled by Panthers

Blakers claims his hometown is GF, but he was born in Moorhead, not sure how accurate that is, as I know in a Sioux pregame show he has stated otherwise. Just thought this was a pretty big deal for you folks up there, but apparently not...must happen all the time!!

(This may sound really bad in a way to some. Apologies in advance.)

The folks in Grand Forks and Fighting Sioux hockey fans become so "attached" to the guys who don that Sioux jersey it just feels like they are "natives sons" to Grand Forks.

Look at all the attention guys like Brad DeFauw got when he made his first appearance in The League.

Thus, maybe the luster comes off a bit when "another" guy we all associate with Grand Forks makes it into The League.

It's no disrespect intended toward Mr. Olson's accomplishment. (Bravo to him.)

I think we're all just .... I don't know, used to it, when a guy gets there and really don't see how big of an accomplishment it really is.