SiouxSports.com Forum

McDermott Leads UNI to Big Dance

UNDvince97-01

Congrats to Coach McDermott on winning to conference tourney and getting an automatic bid. It's good to see that the former sioux assistant is enjoying success at the D1 level. How much longer before the bigger schools start to take notice of him? I have to think Iowa and Iowa State know about him, especially after UNI beat Iowa and lost to Iowa State by 3 this year. Iowa does have Alford, but they have been marginally successful the past few years. And Iowa State's replacement for Larry Eustachy is Wayne Morgan, and I'm not sure how long he is signed for. As far as other schools taking notice, I'm not really sure. I'll give it less than two years before McDermott is at a major D1 basketball school. What does everyone else think? I know one thing, I'll be cheering for UNI come tourney time.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that game was on until late in the first overtime, but at least I caught the end of it. That was quite an accomplishment since the Mo. Valley is a very tough league. It's hard to know what Mac's career aspirations are. I assume he's quite happy at UNI since that's his alma mater, but if a big-name school came calling I'm sure it would be very tough to turn down.

The weird thing is that 2 of the hottest coaching candidates as far as the BCS conference schools are McDermott and Ray Giacoletti. Giacoletti is opening some eyes at Eastern Washington, and he will move up aftert this year. McDermott, I am not too sure. The alma mater thing seems to be huge for him like it would a lot of people. He always seemed like a real level-headed guy who knew his priorities.

It was fun and weird to see Mac and Jake on the bench coaching UNI to the championship.  I just caught the last few minutes and  both O.T.'s.  Did Godfreid get into the game?

Godfread didn't play at all. It's probably not too surprising since he only averaged 5 minutes per game on the season.

It's interesting to compare and contrast the careers of Godfread and Rypkema. I have no idea how highly the UND staff thought of Godfread coming out of high school, but in the event that UND really wanted him and Ryp was something of a consolation prize, it's safe to say that UND got the far better end of that deal.

Godfread didn't play at all. It's probably not too surprising since he only averaged 5 minutes per game on the season.

It's interesting to compare and contrast the careers of Godfread and Rypkema. I have no idea how highly the UND staff thought of Godfread coming out of high school, but in the event that UND really wanted him and Ryp was something of a consolation prize, it's safe to say that UND got the far better end of that deal.

your right. UND did get the better end of that deal. And for Godfread he only played 4 minutes the last 6 games. Looks like Mac really shortened his bench during tourney time (going 8 deep). You wonder if Godfread stays his last year at UNI. I suppose he will with them going to the dance this year.

McDermott is not going to take Alford's place at Iowa.  Iowa State could be a different story, but he will not be bumping Alford out anytime soon.

im not saying that McDermott is going to be the guy to force out Alford. I have just heard that if he doesnt get results there soon, he may be on the hot seat. I was just mentioning that because of the fact that Mcdermott coaches in Iowa. I agree in that I dont see Alford being forced out for Mcdermott. Just some food for thought, that's all.

McDermott is not going to take Alford's place at Iowa. Iowa State could be a different story, but he will not be bumping Alford out anytime soon.

Living in Ames I can say that Wayne Morgan's job at Iowa State seems pretty secure. He is in his first year and they won't make the dance but will be in the NIT. They did have some big wins over Iowa, Texas, Kansas and Missouri but lost to some crappy teams like San Diego St, Baylor etc which will cost them a tourney trip. McDermott is a good coach but I see him staying at his alma mater until he builds up his reputationa bit more and gets a really good offer from a "big-time" school.

I'm not an Alford fan, but if Iowa gets rid of him, they will bring in a big name coach or someone with championship experience.

You're probably right on that, but he would at the least be considered for the job. Probably a finalist. Of course, this is all pure speculation.