SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA statistical point leaders

01grad

Bochenski needs to turn it up if he wants to rank high with recent past leaders:

YEAR PLAYER POINTS/GAMES

'04 Bochenski 50/35

'03 Senja 82/42

'02 Pohl 79/44

'01 Panzer 81/46

'00 Reinprecht 66/37

'99 Krog 85/41

I know it is a team game and it is great to see everybody contribute but,

LET"S GO BO!!!

Still hard to understand how Panzer didn't get the hobey. It's fun to look at the archives at USCHO.com. Notice that 5 of the last 6 leaders were from the WCHA, yet East players get more consideration for the award.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/

I think that if you look closely there is more depth on a lot of teams this year, so no one is depending on one line to produce all the points. Also the trap seems to be making it's way down the ranks into college hockey. But I don't think it has as much impact as the increased depth.

Buck's numbers may end up around Reinprecht's 2000 numbers this year.

I think that it also is very possible that once a player is dubbed a big point scorer, the other teams reduce the amount of scoring chances by getting away with what should be penalties.

Also, if there is more depth on a team, wouldn't you think that could create more chances for a single player or two because the other team needs to focus on everybody, such is the case now for the Sioux?

Brandon and Zach still should get just about as many opportunities, if not more than the others. They are unselfish though, which is good.

Just because others are scoring, doesn't mean that they are prohibitied from doing so. The only thing that might hinder their ability is once there is a big lead a coach might give others more playing time.

I hope that they aren't slowing down when we get a big lead because they always need to be playing at 110% just as Panzer did. Don't ever be satisfied until the ultimate prize has been achieved.

Just some ideas for discussion.

That one is still a tough pill to swallow. ???

I would have to agree with this. Greg Johnson and Jeff Panzer had great years, but didn't win. I remember the won year Johnson's detractors said that numbers were not everything. I wonder if these same people are going to vote for Parise this year, even though he doesn't lead the NCAA in scoring, since numbers aren't everything.

Some things to look at when comparing this year to last year.

Matti Kaltiainen 68 goals allowed last year 54 this year.

Al Montoya 99 last year 74 this year

Brandon is tied for first in points. Everyone is scoring less this year. Take away his couple of slumps he was way out in front. He has also become much more of a team player. He will more often set someone up than not. If you watch him close, a lot of his shots the last few games have been right into the pads of the goalie, which causes rebounds. I have a hard time believing that someone who can shoot as accurate and consistent as him(Fri. anchorage game) is having a hard time scoring.

Bochenski's stats may be significantly lower than some of the previous leaders, however I would still say Bochenski is one of the most, if not THE most talented offensive player of them.

I'd agree with most talented shooter, but most talented offensive player all around has to be Zach. I've seen all of the Sioux home games and a few on the road in the past two years, and I'm still amazed at the little things that Zach does when the Sioux are on the attack. Simply amazing.