SiouxSports.com Forum

Refresh my memory please

radionews

The WCHA playoffs start next week, how does the schedule for that work, i assume the #1 team at the end of the year play the lower seed....... what about the final five? i know the 4 & 5 teams play thursday, etc.....but how are they ranked? is it based on how the playoffs go next weekend?

Barring any upsets in the first round, the #4 seed would play the #5 seed on Thursday night. Let's say (disaster!) that #10 defeats #1 in the first round and there are no other upsets. That would bump the #4 seed into Friday semi-final action and the #5 seed would play the #10 seed on Thursday in the loser-out game. Let's go one step further and say that #9 defeats #2, leaving both #1 and #2 seeds at home. Your Thursday night Final Five contest becomes a battle between #9 and #10, and the #4 and #5 seeds would both advance to Friday's semi-finals. Capece?

First round:

10 at 1, .... 6 at 5.

Final Five (all games at The X):

Five surviving teams seeded 1 through 5 based on regular season standings.

5 at 4 Thursday night.

Thursday winner plays 1 on Friday (time TBD).

3 at 2 Friday (time TBD).

Friday's losers play Saturday afternoon.

Friday's winners play Saturday night.

Thursday winner plays 1 on Friday (time TBD).

3 at 2 Friday (time TBD).

Times are TBD because the Goofs always play the night game on Thursday. Cheap!!

If the Goofs win Thursday, they should have to come back Friday afternoon, like UMD had to. If UMD had been given the same luxury, perhaps their 3-2 3rd period lead over CC last year would have held up. :p:lol:;):D

Times are TBD because the Goofs always play the night game on Thursday.

I think you mean the WCHA tries to maximize $$$$ by having Goldie play FRIDAY night no matter what.

That really has hurt some teams in the past (having to turn around from 7:00 pm Thursday to 2:00 pm Friday games just so Goldie is on in prime time).

I think you mean the WCHA tries to maximize $$$$ by having Goldie play FRIDAY night no matter what.

That really has hurt some teams in the past (having to turn around from 7:00 pm Thursday to 2:00 pm Friday games just so Goldie is on in prime time).

Heh heh...yes. I meant FRIDAY. I WISH they always played Thursday night...

Dogz

I agree Duluth did get a raw deal relative to Minnesota's setup. I do understand that having the Gophs at night does sell tickets and I am not sure, but I assume that that additional money does go to all WCHA schools, so its not all bad...

Dogz

I agree Duluth did get a raw deal relative to Minnesota's setup. I do understand that having the Gophs at night does sell tickets and I am not sure, but I assume that that additional money does go to all WCHA schools, so its not all bad...

You mean there are people who only go to the night games?? I thought everyone just took that entire weekend off like I do... :p

Dont forget about the "Friggin (Goofers) Sports Network"

What was the only game of the 5 they didnt show??? Yep, the Friday afternoon game. The other 4 were on TV.

Do you think they would put their precious goofers on a Friday afternoon??

What they should do is:

4 vs 5 Thursday Night

2 vs 3 Friday afternoon

1 vs. 4 or 5 Friday Night

How about this likely scenario? The slumping Gophers lose in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, possibly on the road, and don't make it to the Final Five in St. Paul! I am sure the officials will be doing everything in their power to get the Gophers to the Final Five, for money's sake.

Just to hopefully stop some of the whining about the Gophers playing on Friday night rule, YOUR schools voted for it because they like the extra money. The ticket revenue gets split up between WCHA schools, so of course they want to maximize sales. Rumor has it that the last time it was voted on, the result was 9-1 in favor with only Minnesota voting against.

Just to hopefully stop some of the whining about the Gophers playing on Friday night rule, YOUR schools voted for it because they like the extra money. The ticket revenue gets split up between WCHA schools, so of course they want to maximize sales. Rumor has it that the last time it was voted on, the result was 9-1 in favor with only Minnesota voting against.

Even though it might suck for some of the fans of the other schools, the money is definitely the issue for all of the schools of the WCHA.

gobig6,

I highly doubt your "rumor" is true. Everyone looks for recruiting edges and you won't convince me that UM doesn't mind their prime-time Friday night 7:00 pm game and relegating the UND's, Wisconsin's, UMD's, St Cloud's, etc. to the 2:00 pm NON-TELEVISED game. Everyone wants a piece of the pie so I don't doubt the other 9 votes but I think your rumor is more urban legend than anything.