SiouxSports.com Forum

UND highly admired

dagies

Over on USCHO there is a thread titled "Which D1 hockey team do you admire most"  (other than your own).

I was quite surprised to see how many people noted UND.  Granted UND is a power and has history, so maybe I should not be surprised.  But I expected most of the comments to go to the big schools like MN, MI, BC, etc.   It shows that college hockey fans are not caught up on school reps and evaluate programs for what they are.

And it is very nice to know that the Sioux are so highly thought of around D1 hockey.

I didn't know anything about UND's hockey program when I decided to go to school there.  I do feel lucky to have found it.  It has provided countless hours of enjoyment for me over the years.

I think, in at least the hockey world, UND is a major player.  Founding member of the WCHA, !-1/2 hand full of rings, and history second to none.  USCHO is still for hockey junkies and it didn't surprise me at all to see so much love for UND.  Not intended to take anything away, you're just dealing with a knowlegdable puck fun (on average :D) on USCHO.

Do a similar poll on a bouncy ball site - or even ESPN front page - and you'd see the obvious choices of the Big Ten and other schools with DI BB or FB presence.

Looking at the vast majority of the choices, it shows that the most "respected" or "admired" programs tend to have a strong tradition for playing well when it counts on a fairly consistent basis.  Granted, every team has a down year or two, but the proof shows in those teams that don't stay down and work their way back.  That's probably a reason teams like UND, Minnesota, Michigan, BU, Maine, etc. get mentioned more than SCCC, Bowling Green, OSU or Lowell.

Looking at the vast majority of the choices, it shows that the most "respected" or "admired" programs tend to have a strong tradition for playing well when it counts on a fairly consistent basis.