SiouxSports.com Forum

Article from 2/27 Dakota Student

SiouxperDave

I love it. I thought the exact same thing. In fact I wrote an OP/ED piece for the student which was in Fridays issue; similar feel to it. I think and feel exactly the same as her. I was pretty embarrassed for the team.

I at very least hope people can find their voices when/if the sioux are skating around with the cup next sat.

I agree with the comments for the most-part according to reports of what happened last weekend, but in defense of the hockey team, there are going to be nights (yes, at home, folks, it happens) where the team looks like they spent the night before out on the town with the University of Colorado football players. And there's not going to be much for the home fans to cheer about. It happens. For every five or six games where the place is rockin', there's bound to be a night where the team just doesn't have it. Is she more upset with the place being a church service or because she can't swear like a sailor's parrot in the building?

Back in 1996, UND hosted a first-round WCHA playoff game for the first time since (if memory serves me right here) 1990. My roommate at the time and I drove from Minneapolis to Grand Forks to see a 2/3 full old Engelstad Arena. Seems students still didn't get the notion that the WCHA makes money off of the playoffs (and it still only cost them $5 or $10 to see them play), but hardly any students turned out that weekend. UND lost a heartbreaker series to Wisconsin, losing in OT on Friday night and losing on Saturday on a last-second (and I mean last second...it was scored with .01 left) goal. My roommate and I were so ticked off, rather than stay in Grand Forks as planned, we left at midnight and drove all the way back to Minneapolis. What a shame to see the Sioux host a playoff series for the first time in six years and see the place not packed to the hilt. I don't think the writer in the DS would have found that enjoyable either.

I truly hope the writer didn't mean she was a "puck bunny" at four years old. I'm not sure what kind of meaning that moniker carries around Grand Forks, but it's not exactly a compliment to a college-aged female hockey fan if you catch my drift.

Also, I beg to differ with the "estimate" of 1000 of the 4500 fans in Mankato in attendance being Sioux fans. Yes, there were plenty of Sioux jerseys at the Midwest Wireless Civic Center (presented to you by Arby's, Holiday Inn, and Mettler's...sheesh...speaking of corporate), but I wouldn't say every 1 in 4.5 fans was pulling for the Sioux. One section contained about 90% of the Sioux fans in attendance...it was probably more like 300-500 fans TOPS.

If (and it's a big IF) UND pulls off a sweep at Duluth this weekend, I bet next weekend's series against Michigan Tech will make her forget all about the 4-1 game against CC. :glare:

It's not just the CC game. Every game I've been to this year, with the exeption of Minnesota, has been dead. I always sit in the upper level student area so maybe I'm missing out on the "rowdiness" that takes place in the lower student section.

Win or lose at UMD, I think the Tech series is going to be a sleeper. The student section might try to get a little rowdy, but I guarantee the rest of the arena will be dead.

It's not just the CC game. Every game I've been to this year, with the exeption of Minnesota, has been dead.

Then I would guess that you haven't been to many games. The come-from-behind victories over Duluth and BC at the start of the season were not dead. The series against St. Cloud was not dead. The Alaska series wasn't dead. Or maybe I'm attending Sioux home games in an alternate universe. :glare:

PCM,

Get your sorry butt down here for the Final Five. And you call yourself a fan. I'll even guarantee you a free parking space to help cut costs. :glare:

I'm debating a trip to GF just to see the Saturday Michigan Tech game if UND does well this weekend. Not that I won't get into huge trouble for it...

I was at both games...I would say 1000 is not an unreasonable estimate on Saturday. I was told that in a post-game interview, Coach Blais said there were 1000 or so Sioux fans present. Who knows.....500? 1000?....that is beside the point. The important thing is that it sounded like 1000 or more fans were there! The point the author is trying to make is that the fans in Mankato were very much into the game. I even saw "non young-punks" doing the sieve chant and responding to the "SIOUX YEAH YEAH" chant. It was beautiful.

As for the author's style of writing...I think her article is directed towards students...if she were to contact "Chuck" K. or Roger T. I think her letter would be written differently. I have read her articles before, and she has a gift for writing to the students. Remember, this is primarily a student newspaper.

Bottom line: Less than 1000 Sioux Fans in Mankato made more noise and showed more emotion than 9000-11,500 fans at the Ralph. They should play video of it next weekend vs. Michigan Tech.

With all due respect, LetsGoSioux, if you were sitting in that section of Sioux fans, you may have thought the whole MWCC was rocking. I was on the other end of the arena and trust me, the loudest noise I heard all night was Mankato's fans cheering after their first goal which made it 4-1.

I think I've pointed out already on other posts that I like the road games more than the home games. I was that way when old Engelstad still existed. It's just fun to be a part of the minority of fans celebrating. The only thing missing Saturday was a stick-salute to the Sioux fans in attendance at the MWCC.

I forgot to mention I agree with the idea of attending road games in the future over returning to Grand Forks if the atmosphere remains as it is. I am a UND alumnus, and now live much closer to Mankato, St. Cloud, Minneapolis, Duluth and Madison than Grand Forks. It is easier for me to drive to these places and spend my money there than in Grand Forks...yet I don't. I have seen 8 Sioux home games this year. I hope the atmosphere thing gets cleared up before next year so I can keep making the long trips back to GF and cheer on the Fighting Sioux in the best arena in the world!

Get your sorry butt down here for the Final Five.

Believe me, I'd really like to. Other than the game with POI after last year's tournament and hearing forecheck repeatedly drop the f-bomb, the Final Five was very disappointing for Sioux fans.

Unfortunately, my wife has plans for a big family reunion this summer that involves a long trip. I have pledged to save my vacation time and hard-earned rubles for that event.

I'm also trying to save some vacation time to work as a volunteer during the WJC tournament. The Final Five just isn't in the cards this year. :glare:

Then I would guess that you haven't been to many games. The come-from-behind victories over Duluth and BC at the start of the season were not dead. The series against St. Cloud was not dead. The Alaska series wasn't dead. Or maybe I'm attending Sioux home games in an alternate universe. :glare:

That BC game was more rockin than any game I've been to, old or new REA.

The writer had some good points, but I'd agree with PCM that using one game (Sat CC) to sum up the season sensationalizes the issue a little.

My opinion: the hockey fans are being punished for the football fans' sins. Only one of the Pres' letters addressed hockey, and we all know who wrote that letter. The REA is not going to kick anyone out for cheering. The admin. has done a very poor job handling the issue, but so have the students. It's called COMMON SENSE, if you use it you will be fine.

Wreckincrew,

You were at Mettler's TOO?  A 10-1 hockey victory followed by pizza and girls dancing.  Cue the "It doesn't get any better than this" commercial.  :glare:

I had the distinct feeling that the "employees" at Mettler's were ignoring any Sioux fans attempts to "tip them".

Actually, the most fun was watching the "employees" tip each other! :p

smilies-26952.png

food-smiley-004.gif

You thought that? I didn't think so. I've always had a pretty good time down there, even after last year's games. On the plus side, at least they had some decent-looking "talent" this year. Last year, we got to witness a six months pregnant stripper. Some things are just meant to be covered up. :glare:

unfortunatly I think all college sports will go the way of PC correctness. It IS sad. Many old traditions will end up as memories. Your moving into a new arena and some stupid football fans will affect your hockey fan base profoundly. In the old Mariucci the atmosphere was much more college. In the new barn much more "corpy". Sadly I think this is what is happening to you guys. The people in the corpy seats don't want to listen to a bunch of rowdy college kids (sadly, since many of them did the same thing in their youth). I would love to see you guys get the upper hand on the "corpies". Maybe you can take back YOUR arena for YOUR program and others can follow your example. I sincerly hope this works out for you guys!

WPoS

You hit the nail on the head, WPoS. I attended several games at old Mariucci Arena including the last game EVER there and I must say, if that place was as intimidating for opposing players as it was for opposing FANS, then those guys must have all peed in their breezers before taking the ice. Love 'em or hate 'em, what a great, great atmosphere in the old barn. The only place I know of now (and I speak from experience) where you can experience that is Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

You thought that?  I didn't think so.  I've always had a pretty good time down there, even after last year's games.  On the plus side, at least they had some decent-looking "talent" this year.  Last year, we got to witness a six months pregnant stripper.  Some things are just meant to be covered up.  :glare:

I did get one

If cheering for the Sioux means having to use vulgar language to get the school spirit up then my husband(an alumni)and I have been cheering for the wrong team and school. If the students or whomever are unhappy with trying to clean up the language at the games turn in the tickets. I am sure there are plenty of people waiting for them. There are plenty of people down here in Fargo that are looking for tickets. We've been season ticket holders since the opening of the new and fabulous arena. We love it. We loved the old arena too but we drive from Fargo every game. We could never be sure to get tickets into the old arena. We are glad for more seats. We have missed 2 games in three years. Should we whine about driving 150 some miles a weekend for games? Should we whine about spending money for food/drink in 'your town'? Should we whine about driving in some awful winter conditions? We love Sioux hockey! We love the school! We love the arena! We hate the Bison. We hate the parking or lack thereof...We hate the cost of concessions...but it's all part of the 'game'. If we don't like it enough we have the choice to cancel our season tickets. It is also suppose to be a family atmosphere. As far as 'money' goes...plenty of the money comes from the other tickets holders, Sioux Boosters and the Fighting Sioux Club.

Please. How many "corpies" are in the Great Grand Forks metro area? This is a bogus argument.

They make the trips. Those season seats are held by big spenders (some to more than some are anyway) and people who share tickets and only get to the Forks on occasion. It is DEFINATELY more "trendy/spendy" than the old ralph.

That said, it's a joint problem, so I can't believe I'm replying to this thread because it somehow followed the lines of so many before it since I started that RT letter thread. Actually there've been posts about this for so long now. Ridiculous. Makes my head hurt. :glare: