SiouxSports.com Forum

spring football

UND92,96

If last year's start time is any indication, we're just over a month away from the start of spring football. One thing I will be interested in is who emerges as the backup quarterback. If I'm not mistaken, Bowenkamp can't take part in spring ball since he'll be a sixth-year senior next fall. That means that Carney, Bellmore, Manke and possibly Groeschl should all have ample opportunity to show what they can do with the first-team offense.

Also, who will be the four primary receivers? Johnson and Grossman have the most experience, but Groeschl (if he's not playing quarterback), Weber, Ranson, Presthus, Van Dyke, Loegering and Ott should all contend, also.

Finally, who will emerge at corner? Obviously Manke and Hoffschneider return as starters, but Franklin, Alexander and Greenwood, among others, should also be serious contenders for playing time.

Presthus is supposed to be quite talented.

Regarding the QB situation, it is my understanding that Carney is pretty much returning on his own. Not sure if he has a GF at UND or just wanted to return. He will certainly be given a chance but I don't think the coaching staff is really considering him as a potential starter. And, if that is the case, I surely wouldn't think he would be considered for the No. 2 spot either. They need to be grooming a couple of the younger guys for the future.

Presthus is supposed to be quite talented.

Regarding the QB situation, it is my understanding that Carney is pretty much returning on his own.  Not sure if he has a GF at UND or just wanted to return.  He will certainly be given a chance but I don't think the coaching staff is really considering him as a potential starter.  And, if that is the case, I surely wouldn't think he would be considered for the No. 2 spot either.  They need to be grooming a couple of the younger guys for the future.

UND Fan:

Do you know whether there has ever been any discussion between the basketball coaches and Carney about playing hoops? I believe he was first team all-state and was considered one of the top three or four players in SD his senior year, and at about 6'7" and 230 pounds or so, he would provide a big body in the paint. Of course, not having played competitive basketball in several years probably means he would be very rusty, but he might be worth a look. Keaveny at SW St. showed that a guy can start off playing a different sport and still have a nice basketball career.

Keaveny at SW St. showed that a guy can start off playing a different sport and still have a nice basketball career.

Actually Keaveny started out playing Basketball (NDSCS) then went to UND for a while for baseball then went to SWMS for Basketball again... but I do agree with you. :lol:

Ok, this might set off a fire storm here, but i'll ask the question anyways. Is there any NCAA rule that says that you cannot have a football game during the spring against another college team that wouldn't count towards the playoffs in the fall?? If there isn't UND and NDSU could easily have a game there, call it the Nickel Bowl if you want to and can get a sponser for it. Just a thought anyways.

74 -- Yes, there is such a rule. There are a lot of reasons other than the rule that would not make this a prudent thing to do: very short duration of spring ball (team needs to evaluate talent, install new schemes, etc. rather than prepare for a big game), the possibility of injury, etc.

Plus, with UND not interested in playing SU, why would they do so in the spring? What is the difference? I guess the only difference would be that playoff implications wouldn't apply.

Bopttom line - It can't happen so there is no use discussing it further.

92,96 -- I am quite sure that there has been no discussion about Carney joining the BB team.

I will be very interested in seeing who emerges on the O-line. Hendrickson is the most likely to start at Center. I see either Kuper or Smith will be moved to one ,or, perhaps both tackle spots. Are the remaining positions going to be filled by Buisker, Hoffelt? By the way, Carney has the same eligibility remaining as do Manke, Groeschel and Belmore. His "clock" did not start untill last year. I will re-affirm that this spring Coaches will try Donovan Alexander at wide-out.

I will be very interested in seeing who emerges on the O-line. Hendrickson is the most likely to start at Center. I see either Kuper  or Smith will be moved to one ,or, perhaps both tackle spots. Are the remaining positions going to be filled by Buisker, Hoffelt? By the way, Carney has the same eligibility remaining as do Manke, Groeschel and Belmore. His "clock" did not start untill last year. I will re-affirm that this spring Coaches will try Donovan Alexander at wide-out.

I would agree that Smith will likely move back to tackle, where he started the first few games of the 2002 season. I think the problem before was that his feet weren't quick enough to deal with speed rushers, but hopefully he's better prepared now.

Regarding the quarterback situation, my concern with Carney, as well as my beef with Bowenkamp, is the lack of scrambling ability. I haven't actually seen Carney play enough to know for certain, but at his size it would seem unlikely that he's very nimble. Bowenkamp probably has the speed, but he has no elusiveness and seems to lack the instinct of when to run and when not to. Groeschl has certainly shown his athletic ability and he definitely can run. I'm pretty sure the same can be said of Manke. I haven't seen Bellmore play at all so I have no idea whether he can run or not.

Having a quarterback who can get you a first down by running when the play breaks down is such a weapon, and unfortunately it's been lacking ever since Klosterman went down with an injury in 2002. Nothing against Bowenkamp since he's been very respectable for the most part, but I honestly hope he's the last immobile quarterback we have at UND for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, there are, as mentioned, some very mobile quarterbacks in the program right now, and it looks like recruit Dan Freund also fits that mold.

Regarding Alexander, it would seem that with his speed he needs to see the field one way or the other. There's such a log jam at both defensive back and receiver that I'm not sure which side of the ball he would stand a better chance at playing next year. I'd be very surprised if he isn't the primary kick returner, at the very least.

I'm still concerned about the lines (offensive and defensive).

I'm hoping spring football clears up who will "lead the way" or "stop the first wave" next fall.

If those two groups perform as well as this year's (and 2001's) look out. What's behind them is loaded.

I'm still concerned about the lines (offensive and defensive).

I'm hoping spring football clears up who will "lead the way" or "stop the first wave" next fall.

If those two groups perform as well as this year's (and 2001's) look out. What's behind them is loaded.

I'm only mildly concerned about the offensive line, as there's a nice nucleus to start from with Smith, Kuper and Hendrickson. As for the other two spots, there will be some inexperience, but probably not a lack of talent. While I'm not always too impressed with Mussman's play-calling, he seems to have really done a nice job with the offensive line over the past several years considering how many good ones the Sioux have had recently. I can only assume that it's not all just a matter of having talent--it seems to have been developed nicely also.

As for the defensive line, I think it looks really good. With the return of Ross Brennan, it should be just that much better if he can get back into shape. Duchscher had a very nice first year of starting at nose guard, earning honorable mention all-NCC. Brennan should be able to rotate in with him, along with possibly the younger Muro who was a heck of a high school player two years ago. Newhouse and Peterson both played a lot already as backups, and should be able to step into starting roles very nicely. I assume senior Mike Gruschalla should have the inside track for one of the backup defensive end positions, and there should be a group of freshmen who should contend for the other backup position(s), similar to how this past year's freshman class (Babington-Johnson, S. Brennan and Ullsperger) was able to contribute at the linebacking positions right away.

UND 92,96-

Can we lay off Mussman please? The guy is a heckuva coach. I watched everyone bash him after the national championship game and then when he was trying to get the Duluth job. His players love him and they all respect what he tries to do with the game plan. And regardless of what you think you may know, he is a very capable play-caller.

As for Ross Brennan, I wouldn't expect too much out of a guy who hasn't played football in two years. I would say he's a long-shot to get on the field on a regular basis next year...but hey, I could be wrong, he's obviously talented.

I'm mostly worried about the O-line. There's probably no other position that requires more "development time" than offensive line and I don't see Kuper as a natural tackle so it will probably be Smith unless they've got someone coming up who they think is better.

UND 92,96-

Can we lay off Mussman please? The guy is a heckuva coach. I watched everyone bash him after the national championship game and then when he was trying to get the Duluth job. His players love him and they all respect what he tries to do with the game plan. And regardless of what you think you may know, he is a very capable play-caller.

As for Ross Brennan, I wouldn't expect too much out of a guy who hasn't played football in two years. I would say he's a long-shot to get on the field on a regular basis next year...but hey, I could be wrong, he's obviously talented.

I'm mostly worried about the O-line. There's probably no other position that requires more "development time" than offensive line and I don't see Kuper as a natural tackle so it will probably be Smith unless they've got someone coming up who they think is better.

In my opinion, Kuper is a "pure" guard. He has very good feet for an o-lineman. Has anyone ever just taken time to watch him pull? He absolutely destroys people. Usually after the thuderous "crack" of initial contact, there are always some sort of helmet accessorie flying, whether its his or his opponents. He is always re-strapping his chin straps, or the other guys is picking up his ear pads and his "chiclets" off the ground. It's actually pretty funny watching him pull.

UND 92,96-

Can we lay off Mussman please?  The guy is a heckuva coach.  I watched everyone  bash him after the national championship game and then when he was trying to get the Duluth job.  His players love him and they all respect what he tries to do with the game plan.  And regardless of what you think you may know, he is a very capable play-caller.

Lay off? What exactly did I write that was out of line? My post was more complimentary of him than it was critical. I don't claim that I would be any better of a play-caller, but I'm hardly the only one on this board who has scratched his or her head about some of his decisions. If that makes me hyper-critical, then so be it. I appreciate the end results, i.e. the wins and the fact that the offense has typically been towards the top of the NCC in points scored. I personally would just like to see a little less predictability, which was a large part of what cost us the Mesa St. game this past year according to some of the comments made by their coaching staff and players after that game.

My issue with Mussman is predictability: You know what is going to be run.

How? Watch the personnel package going in. That tells you clearly what to expect. I'm pretty sure teams familiar with UND know that too.

Now, in fairness to Chris, I don't know if any of us can say for sure if that is him or a conservative style of offensive play dictated by the overall philosophy of the team (set by the head coach).

Then again, they've won with Mussman at the offensive helm so there really shouldn't be any issue.

My issue with Mussman is predictability: You know what is going to be run.

How? Watch the personnel package going in. That tells you clearly what to expect. I'm pretty sure teams familiar with UND know that too.

Now, in fairness to Chris, I don't know if any of us can say for sure if that is him or a conservative style of offensive play dictated by the overall philosophy of the team (set by the head coach).

Then again, they've won with Mussman at the offensive helm so there really shouldn't be any issue.

Well said.

Just so there's no misunderstanding here, I am most assuredly NOT saying that Mussman should be fired, demoted, or tarred and feathered. And I think Sic probably brought up a valid point in that it's quite possible that Lennon's conservative nature does have a bearing on Mussman's play-calling. Predictability is probably the most valid criticism, IMO.

Well said.

Just so there's no misunderstanding here, I am most assuredly NOT saying that Mussman should be fired, demoted, or tarred and feathered. And I think Sic probably brought up a valid point in that it's quite possible that Lennon's conservative nature does have a bearing on Mussman's play-calling. Predictability is probably the most valid criticism, IMO.

You can't argue with success (unless it is the boring as hell San Antonio Spurs), so it is hard to be critical of anything Mussman has done. That being said, there are things everyone would like to see more/less of. For me, it is less bubble screens and more play-action passing on 1st and 2nd down, which have seemed to produce more big plays down field then all other plays combined the past 3 years. I understand the bubble screen, just think it can be used less then the once every series that it seems to be used, and of course that is an exageration. Then again, with Mussman at the head of the offense the Sioux have been to the national title game 2 of last 3 years, that is something that cannot be disagreed with.

I get as impatient as anyone with the Sioux offense and often say things in the moment that I realize were wrong when given the chance to reflect. I think that Chris Mussman is a tremendous coach and any team in the NCC would be instantly upgraded if he took over their offense. To make a statement like that and not support it is unworthy of this board so here is my rationale:

1) Offensive linemen that are perennially among the best in the nation. Every season there are 1-2-3 linemen on All-NCC or All-American teams. This doesn't happen by accident.

2) Adjustments on offense to fit the personnel. Jed Perk(?)sp could run inside/outside and the sweep and stretch plays kept defenses honest. Mahmoud, Roland, Strouth are more one dimensional so we see more of the "bubble" as a long handoff replacing the sweep and stretch. If one thinks of this as a running play, it takes on a new perspective.

3) Schemes that allow quarterbacks to minimize risk and maximize success. Klosterman was very mobile and plays and patterns could take longer to develop; Bowenkamp is better in th pocket so patterns are quicker and shorter - the success of both speaks for itself.

4) Player improvement. Look at how much Bowenkamp's interception ratio and completion percentage improved - he did not do this on his own. Look at how precisely those undersized (except for Lueck), speed challenged receivers ran routes, caught passes, and piled up yards - then compare them to the "game breaker, deep threat" duo from the team to the South and ask "why were our guys better than theirs?"

Any coach will honestly tell you that you need players to be successful, but sometimes it is coaching that makes the player and Chris Mussman is, in my humble opinion, one hell of a coach.

I get as impatient as anyone with the Sioux offense and often say things in the moment that I realize were wrong when given the chance to reflect. I think that Chris Mussman is a tremendous coach and any team in the NCC would be instantly upgraded if he took over their offense. To make a statement like that and not support it is unworthy of this board so here is my rationale:

1) Offensive linemen that are perennially among the best in the nation. Every season there are 1-2-3 linemen on All-NCC or All-American teams. This doesn't happen by accident.

2) Adjustments on offense to fit the personnel. Jed Perk(?)sp could run inside/outside and the sweep and stretch plays kept defenses honest. Mahmoud, Roland, Strouth are more one dimensional so we see more of the "bubble" as a long handoff replacing the sweep and stretch. If one thinks of this as a running play, it takes on a new perspective.

3) Schemes that allow quarterbacks to minimize risk and maximize success. Klosterman was very mobile and plays and patterns could take longer to develop; Bowenkamp is better in th pocket so patterns are quicker and shorter - the success of both speaks for itself.

4) Player improvement. Look at how much Bowenkamp's interception ratio and completion percentage improved - he did not do this on his own. Look at how precisely those undersized (except for Lueck), speed challenged receivers ran routes, caught passes, and piled up yards - then compare them to the "game breaker, deep threat" duo from the team to the South and ask "why were our guys better than theirs?"

Any coach will honestly tell you that you need players to be successful, but sometimes it is coaching that makes the player and Chris Mussman is, in my humble opinion, one hell of a coach.

now this guy knows his sioux football. an excellent post for a first-timer. welcome aboard. note that i am not saying that other people that have posted on this thread dont know what they are talking about. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. except for Sioux01. :)