SiouxSports.com Forum

Gut check time. How confident are you in UND.

Goon

How do you like there chances to Win it all.  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like there chances to Win it all.

• Very confident
    • Some what confident
    • Remotely confident
    • Well, I will have to see (chicken)
    • Not at all
    • I am a fan of an opposing team, duh...
    • Its going to be a three peat. (whatever)

This is an exceptional hockey team that can, and should go deep, deep into the NCAAs. Championship team? Maybe. A one-and-done playoff exposes any team to the vagaries of the game: run into a hot goaltender and I don't care how good you are, it's going to be tough sledding.

I think writing off the Goofies is dangerous. And I think overlooking Duluth is Pollyanna-ish. There are at least three teams in the WCHA alone who are capable of winning it all this year; maybe more if a goalie or a goal-scorer gets in the zone.

But the one-and-done format can help the Sioux as much as any other team. Look at the Saturday scores since Christmas: teams make adjustments after getting pushed around and skated around for 60 minutes on Friday and all of a sudden the game is on. I'd take the Sioux one-and-done against anyone right now. Jake and JPar had off nights last weekend; that probably won't happen again.

A soft Regional pairing will just add frosting to the cake. (Cupcakes anyone?) :)

Good point Redwing, however in 2000, the Wisconsin series happened much earlier in the year and the Sioux were probably underdogs (IMO) with much more time to recover. When I look at the schedule, it doesn't appear to get any easier for the Sioux down the stretch. With the exception of maybe the Mich Tech series, the remaining games will be battles. CC is currently on the bubble for a potential NCAA bid. They will be motivated to steal points in Grand Forks this weekend. Plus, UND still has not figured out how to beat Mankato on the road since they entered the league. And last, Duluth is playing pretty well of late (despite the tie last weekend @ MS) and has the home ice advantage with revenge on their minds. Any emotional losses could be devastating. No question about it. We need to take care of business this weekend and build momemtum going into Mankato and not make untimely critical mistakes. If this happens, you take the sense of urgency out of the equation in Duluth and the Sioux will be poised to make a run for the NCAA title. :)

Anybody worried about any lingering effects of Blais' comments about the goaltending this past weekend; specifically Brandt? For a guy who gets the most out of his players (see 1997) he makes some strange decisions when talking to the media. I would have thought his comments would have been better handled "in house" rather than blasting one of his own in the paper. I'll defer to Deano on this one; he's the one with 2 National Championships, but we'll see how the team/goaltending reacts this weekend against CC.

Go SIOUX!

I'm thinking that maybe Blais has been handling the goalie situation "in-house" but maybe in his way of psychologically motivating kids, he decided to put the nails to Brandt and even embarass him. This was a touch pill to swallow, but maybe its just a different tactic Blais is using to try and motivate his goaltenders to perform better. I see a little Herb Brooks style coming out in Blais.

Too bad Brandt got the blame in the paper for making one mistake, when the team made several and J Par sucked it up the next night. If CB wants a goalie to carry the team, then he needs to work on his recruiting.

I can't see how ripping your goalie is going to help "motivate" a player! IMO, it was poor judgement to rip on your goalie. Goalies (and other players) need "some" encouragement......not always worrying about how bad the coach will rip you in the papers the next day! You win as a team, lose as a team! That INCLUDES the coaching!

Why can't we get a goalie coach??

How does it work, that Brandt gets ripped on for playing aggressively (although il-advised.....) yet Parise lets 2-3 "soft" goals in, and you don't hear a word??