SiouxSports.com Forum

2002-03 Defense

dagies

dagies,

I would say that seven is the usual.  During the 2000-2001 season there were mainly six, all of whom played in 40+ games (Roche, Mazurak, Schneekloth, Hammer, Hale and Leinweber).  Paul Murphy moved from forward to the 7th Dman slot after Derrick Byfuglien left the program after a handful of games.

I don't know if seven is the normal for most programs but it appears that that is what Blais likes to go with.  It works as long as you stay away from injuries.

And I suppose if you like to carry a few extra forwards you can always find someone who wants some icetime in a crunch, like Murph.  Makes sense.  I now agree 7 seems like a likely number to carry.

I would say that UND would need 8 defenseman, for injuries and if one isn't playing good you can motivate him by going to the bench.

My guess is lienweber better be ready to play and play better or Blais will have him sitting in the stands like this past season.

Leinweber is not a guy I have been that impressed with in the past.  But he is very young relatively.  I will also say that when I saw him in the last half of the season, I really thought he had stepped up his play.  I am encouraged that his senior season will be his bright spot.  We'll see but he's kind of my Wes Dorey for 2002-03.

Goon, maybe you or someone else will remember whether I am right or wrong on this.

I remember seeing the Sioux down at Mariucci early in the season Leinweber's freshman year.  I guess that would be 1999-2000.  If my memory serves he was out there with Roche and my buddy and I thought they were the better Dmen on the ice that night.  Oconnell and Commie were out there together, and so were Schneekloth and Mazurak.  Of course, we were on Oconnell's first three years momentum and we cringed everytime he touched the puck.

Well, we know how much I know.  Commie and Oconnell were near dominant that season, and Leinweber did not turn out to be one of the better dmen on the ice as the season turned out.

If I remember, however, I believe before the season Blais had said something about have some very high expectations of Leinweber.  Maybe my memory is not correct, or maybe Blais was not correct in the end.  I don't know.

Anyone remember anything?  I have to think with as early as he came in to the program, it must have been because there were some high expectations on him.

Goon, maybe you or someone else will remember whether I am right or wrong on this.

I remember seeing the Sioux down at Mariucci early in the season Leinweber's freshman year.

I remember seeing the Sioux down at Mariucci early in the season Leinweber's freshman year.