SiouxSports.com Forum

The Great Lakes Invitational

MafiaMan

I've often wanted to check this tournament out but have never had the chance to. This year's tournament consists of Michigan Tech/Michigan and Ferris State/Michigan State.

Has anyone on the board ever been to Joe Louis Arena and seen the GLI? Excluding conference tournaments (specifically, the WCHA Final Five), I think it's right up there with the Beanpot in terms of great college hockey events. Been a long time since UND was a participant, too. Would be nice to get on the invite list again.

I've often wanted to check this tournament out but have never had the chance to. This year's tournament consists of Michigan Tech/Michigan and Ferris State/Michigan State.

Has anyone on the board ever been to Joe Louis Arena and seen the GLI? Excluding conference tournaments (specifically, the WCHA Final Five), I think it's right up there with the Beanpot in terms of great college hockey events. Been a long time since UND was a participant, too. Would be nice to get on the invite list again.

If you have DirecTV you can watch it on Fox Sports Detroit. I have watched it the two years. 

Wait until next year (?) when they have the new hockey rink.... Joe Louis is a dump and easily my least favorite venue to be at. They need more doors! There is no reason it should take 25 minutes of being packed like a sardine barely moving to exit after a game.

Wait until next year (?) when they have the new hockey rink.... Joe Louis is a dump and easily my least favorite venue to be at. They need more doors! There is no reason it should take 25 minutes of being packed like a sardine barely moving to exit after a game.

Well, they did play last year at Comerica Park, so there's that...

With the conference break-up, odds are pretty good the fourth team invited is going to be a Michigan team for the foreseeable future.

It sounded like it was going to be all Michigan teams from here on out, I have no problem with the GLI going in that direction.

With the conference break-up, odds are pretty good the fourth team invited is going to be a Michigan team for the foreseeable future.

Western Michigan was there two years in a row (2012 and 2013) due to the NHL lock-out and the fact that the Broncos were promised an outdoor apprarance. It's Ferris State in 2014, Northern Michigan in 2015, and back to Western Michigan for 2016.

I've been multiple times. I'm a college hockey junkie and I enjoy going every time but the event is not what it once was. I don't think people take it as seriously as they used too. They used to pack that place but now they get it half full. In terms of great college hockey events...it's behind the Beanpot but it's definitely second. JLA is a very basic rink and perhaps you'd want to attend just to say you went to a game there. 

it's also fun anytime MSU and Michigan play, it's a big rivalry and it's fun to see it live with both bands there and all their fans. 

Yes they will have nothing but Michigan teams for the foreseeable future. 

If you're college hockey fan it's worth a trip. I can't wait until the new rink is built and I can see a game there.