SiouxSports.com Forum

Where will UND finish next season.

Goon

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where will UND finish next season.

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • don't even go there.

Well we have a little under 6 months to think about this.

I am still not happy about UND not getting a home seed or going to the final five. I think UND is going to have a season of payback. ON the bright side we only play minnesota twice this year.

We have padded the schedule with non-conference cream puffs. I see a winning record and a NCAA tourney bid coming next season. 2 ECAC team, Niagra, Cansius. I see about 6 wins right there with a possible match up with BSU...

I voted 3rd after Denver and MN.  That might be expecting a bit much but frankly I'm expecting a few boys to step up and perform as they were expected to at the end of this year...

I think there will be 5 strong teams at the top of the WCHA again next year.

Well we have a little under 6 months to think about this.

I am still not happy about UND not getting a home seed or going to the final five. I think UND is going to have a season of payback. ON the bright side we only play minnesota twice this year.

We have padded the schedule with non-conference cream puffs. I see a winning record and a NCAA tourney bid coming next season. 2 ECAC team, Niagra, Cansius. I see about 6 wins right there with a possible match up with BSU...

I also think that the Sioux will get 3rd next year, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them at #2!

Both Denver and Minnesota are good, but neither of these teams will run away with the WCHA. The loses to Leopold, Pohl, Hauser and probably Taffe will be HUGE!

Minnesota doesn't have very good goalies, so that will be a weak point.

ON the bright side we only play minnesota twice this year.

I agree and it's at Minnesota, where the Sioux will most likely get a split!

I like the when the Sioux have a very week non-conference schedule! The Sioux should win almost all if not all of the non-conference games next year!

I'm feeling the love.  :)

One can almost guarentee UND will finnish ahead of UMD, MTU, AA, & UW.  They have a very good chance of finnishing ahead of MSU-M & CC.  SCSU is the wildcard.  They could be very good almost as easily as they could be very bad.  

In other words I see them as high as third and as low as 5th.  I'd be very suprised if the do not have home ice.

Although I normally avoid the "prediction" business, I think we have a good chance at the top 5.  Anything above 3 would be a shock, and a nice surprise. :)  That said, Denver, SCCC and Minnesota will probably be the top-3 dogs in the conference next season as they return some pretty strong lineups right now.

My gut tells me that SCSU takes a drop next year.  that is why I have UND finishing at 3rd.  I can't really see higher than that but you never know, I guess.  Also, they could easily finish lower if some of the guys just don't step up the way they need to.

However, I will be crushed if they don't make the Final Five again next year.  Really if they don't finish in the top 5 I think it is a huge screw up.

UND will be hard pressed to split in MN next year.  Even if Taffe leaves I think MN is going to be an awesome team.  UND has always had difficulty winning in Mpls when the Gophers are equal or better.  This year we managed to steal one but I am not counting on that next year.  That is why it is too bad that the Gophers aren't coming to town...

I won't say any more because according to one gopher fan on the gopher site we are too obsessed with the gophers and should worry about our own team. :)

Seems to me Blais is suddenly the most underestimated coach in hockey.  Nobody is willing to dream that UND might to better than 3rd next season?

UM will be tough, but why will Denver and SCSU be so scary?  Denver had a lot of senior talent.  St. Cloud lost their best offenseman.

At the very end, UND was playing good hockey.  Next season, there is no reason Deano can't elevate the team to more success.

Thoughts?

You may be right.

3rd is a pretty safe, attainable pick.  2nd is optimistic, but 1st seems to be a bit of a stretch.  I would say the odds are better picking 3 or so, but that doesn't mean one couldn't expect them to do better.  And yes, I think it is possible.

UND's forwards by class (estimated '02 regular players):

2001                      2002

Sr            0                          2

So/Jr        6                          7

Fr            6                          3

(Genoway = "Freshman")

The Sioux will have much more consistency with 3 fewer players in the bottom group and two actual seniors vs. zero last season.  Losing Bayda was a blow, but not a "lethal" one.

Other "fluff" to chew on...

Year   Players with ... 40+   20+      Top Goaltender Avg

'99-'00                     5        9                  .927

'00-'01                     4        10                .918

'01-'02                     2        7                  .902