SiouxSports.com Forum

SPEED KILLS

Anderson2200

What does it mean and where did it originate from?

First time I remember hearing it used at UND was in reference to the 1996-97 championship team. Guys like Jason Blake, Jay and Jeff Panzer, and Dave Hoogsteen (among others) played fast and attacked with speed. The 1997 team steamrolled to the title with a pair of 6-2 victories over Colorado College and Boston University. In the final, the Fighting Sioux overcame a two goal deficit with a five goal second period, highlighted by a shorthanded goal and a power play goal (both by Matt Henderson) and a dagger with six seconds to go in the middle frame by David Hoogsteen, his second of the period.

(Sung to the tune of Hong Kong Phooey):

Hoogsteen Phooey, number one super guy

Hoogsteen Phooey, quicker than the human eye

He's got style, a groovy smile, and a shot that just won't stop

When the going gets rough he's super tough with the Hoogsteen Phooey Chop (huh!)

Dave

• Upvote 2

First time I remember hearing it used at UND was in reference to the 1996-97 championship team. Guys like Jason Blake, Jay and Jeff Panzer, and Dave Hoogsteen (among others) played fast and attacked with speed. The 1997 team steamrolled to the title with a pair of 6-2 victories over Colorado College and Boston University. In the final, the Fighting Sioux overcame a two goal deficit with a five goal second period, highlighted by a shorthanded goal and a power play goal (both by Matt Henderson) and a dagger with six seconds to go in the middle frame by David Hoogsteen, his second of the period.

Dave

Yeah, that it where I believe it originated. Think they have a "speed kills" sign in the locker room.

(Sung to the tune of Hong Kong Phooey):

Hoogsteen Phooey, number one super guy

Hoogsteen Phooey, quicker than the human eye

He's got style, a groovy smile, and a shot that just won't stop

When the going gets rough he's super tough with the Hoogsteen Phooey Chop (huh!)

Dave

I believe the saying appears on the '97 team NCAA championship rings.

Great memories of that Frozen Four, especially when the final horn sounded and a guy about 20 rows up behind the Sioux net hoists up a giant sign that said: I JUST PEED MY PANTS

• Upvote 2