SiouxSports.com Forum

Midwest Regional

NorthDakotaHockey

Some joker at the Blue Line lunch yesterday, a Gopher fan, was adamant that the NCAA had switched the site of the Midwest Regional play from Western Michigan's Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids to Yost Arena due to poor advance ticket sales.

I searched a few sites to try and verify this, but have found nothing.

I suspect that the guy simply was misinformed, or simply looking to set the hook on a fish.

This switch would never be made, no?

Screw GR. Let UMD go there.

I'd much prefer the Gophs in CLSP with the Sioux or sent out east to duke it out with the teams that talk funny.

Gophers going East would benefit the Gophers too much. Also, it's not in the best interest of ESPN as far as the Frozen Four. If the WCHA knocks out all of the HEA and ECAC opponents, we may lose airtime. :p

If it happens to feature two WCHA teams in the FF NC game, I would expect the same ESPN interest as the UND vs GVSU DII NC game. :D

Screw GR. Let UMD go there.

I'd much prefer the Gophs in CLSP with the Sioux or sent out east to duke it out with the teams that talk funny.

Question, how is it determined where the teams go for the regionals? Is it just a crap-shoot or is there some reason to it. Oh, wait this is the NCAA.....

I live in the Springs, got my regional tickets in October, knowing that it would be good hockey no matter who was playing. How good are the Sioux's chances of playing there? I know, I know, lots of season left, blah, blah, blah. I'm just curious.

You wouldn't be able to peel me off the ceiling if they came here! Since they don't play is Colo. Sprgs. this year, Denver was the only game I got to see live. Oh wait, I forgot about the Subway Holiday Classic. :silly:

What fun, what fun! I wonder if the WA allows tail-gating........ ;)

If the Sioux finish ranked number one for a regional, they will no doubt end up in the World Arena. Two WCHA teams could get number one seeds, in which case on will go to CC, one to Michigan. Depending on how many WCHA teams make the tourney, the NCAA will try to avoid a league matchup prior to the frozen four. As it stands now, however, although a first round WCHA matchup would likely be avoided, the NCAA likely will not scatter the best four WCHA teams to the four regions, giving the league a chance at four FF participants. They'll force them to go head to head in a battle to reach the FF, insuring that one or two eastern teams make the tourney.

I agree Sprig, and it will probably come down to the Pairwise Rankings. The last time that I looked, UMD was 3rd and Minnesota 4th. I have a feeling that the Sioux will have to face one or the other in Colorado Springs should the Sioux win the league as expected. In a way, I would like to see the Gophers stay hot so they get the No. 2 seed and get sent to Michigan. UMD will also be tough, but at least they don't play on an Olympic-sized rink like Minnesota.

If the Sioux finish ranked number one for a regional, they will no doubt end up in the World Arena. Two WCHA teams could get number one seeds, in which case on will go to CC, one to Michigan. Depending on how many WCHA teams make the tourney, the NCAA will try to avoid a league matchup prior to the frozen four. As it stands now, however, although a first round WCHA matchup would likely be avoided, the NCAA likely will not scatter the best four WCHA teams to the four regions, giving the league a chance at four FF participants. They'll force them to go head to head in a battle to reach the FF, insuring that one or two eastern teams make the tourney.

The NCAA has always had a surprise or two when the brackets come down.

My biggest concern about the brackets currently is that I'd bet right now that the East will be protected.

I'm guessing that UND, UM, UMich and UMD will all be in the western regionals. That in my opinion sucks.

The only hope I have that would force that break up is if three Western teams can bump Maine from being a #1 seed. Maine is in fact very close to losing comparisons to Mich, Minn and Minn-Duluth.

The other big problem is that if the season ended today and seedings went as expected, I think BC would cruise to the Final. The Western surviver would have faced wars in the Quarters and the Semi. Who knows how much they would have left in the tank for a battle with BC.

I really want Maine to start losing.