SiouxSports.com Forum

Jared Ross? Alabama-Huntsville?

Marty

Can anyone tell me why this kid, Jared Ross, is leading Bochenski by almost double the votes. I did some research on the stats between these two players this year and Ross obviously not that good to be leading Bochenski by almost double the points.

I found that Ross only leads Bochenski in two categories. Points per game and Short-handed goals. The only reason he leads Bochenski in Points per game is because he has played 5 fewer games. In Short-handers Ross has one and Bochenski doesn't have any. To myself, these two categories don't warrant the lead that Ross has on our boy.

If someone knows something that I don't please let me know.

College Hockey Stats

The fan portion of the voting is not really about who is the best player, it's not even a popularity contest -- it simply reveals the most popular player on the school that could get the most of its fans to vote. Honestly, did you vote for who you thought were the best players in college hockey, or your favorite UND players?

Apparently a lot more Alabama-Huntsville fans have registered for "Vote for Hobey" than UND fans; usually such anomolies are the result of massive "get out the vote" efforts on message boards/web sites. Every now and then you see a school promote voting on their official web site, which can create a massive spike of voters.

Regarding Ross specifically, it's common to see a big voting block when a school that's not one of the traditional superpowers has a big star (like Ferris St last year). Frankly, the Pts/G stat is probably a lot more meaningful than Pts, so Ross is a legitimate contender.

I voted for the most player whom I thought was most deserving of the award, Brandon Bochenski.

You make a good point though. I guess I could see a lesser school voting for their best player if he is having a great year. It looks like this Ross kid is having a great year but I don't think he as good as Bochenski. That's why Ross plays at Alabama and Bochenski plays at the best college hockey school in the country.

If Bochenski keeps it up I don't know if anyone could catch him. He is so good it's scary.