SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. SCSU

jojordan23

Ok, we have a BIG weekend coming up at St. Cloud. We all know that we are missing 3 players who are kicking a$$ at the World Juniors, but this past weekend we got great production out of some guys who we needed to step and show that they can play. In particular, the line of Hale-Palmo-Marvin stepped up, along with James Massen, who finally got his first goal. The d-men and the goal-tending are still dominating, so let's avoid another second-half swoon, and send St. Cloud back to the cellar of the WCHA! Go SIOUX!!!

Ok, we have a BIG weekend coming up at St. Cloud. We all know that we are missing 3 players who are kicking a$$ at the World Juniors, but this past weekend we got great production out of some guys who we needed to step and show that they can play. In particular, the line of Hale-Palmo-Marvin stepped up, along with James Massen, who finally got his first goal. The d-men and the goal-tending are still dominating, so let's avoid another second-half swoon, and send St. Cloud back to the cellar of the WCHA! Go SIOUX!!!

I think UND can split if not get three points. UND is the better team even without those three players. However, the leaders of this team are going to have to step it up and hold each other accountable. No excuses. Every man takes it to the Hussies. I think UND is going to have to tighten up on Defense and stop the odd man rushes...

Actually if UND does get swept UND needs not to panic. We are missing three of our four best guys. UND strenght of Schedule in the WCHA isn't that bad the rest of the way and I believe that UND will be sitting atop the WCHA at season's end...

Just so everyone knows up front, I hate SCCC almost as much as I hate the Goofers... :)

I will be surprised if we do better than a split this weekend. Yes, we could get swept. Better Sioux teams have struggled in St. Clown and we are definitely hamstrung going in. I do think if they put forth 2 efforts like they did on Sunday they have a reasonable chance to sweep. But if our effort isn't top notch it will be tough. SCSU appears to be a fairly opportunistic team with excellent goaltending (if not just a touch inconsistent). Our offense has at times struggled to score against topnotch goaltending over the last couple of years, high powered as it is.

Therefore, I think this is going to be a real dogfight (no pun intended) in both games, and I think they could go either way.

I'll be there cheering on the boys.

It will be a tough series and hopefully a clean series. Two Husky victories would please me very much but I feel a split would be more like it. If there is a sweep I dont think it will be SCSU, but i don't know crap! If I run into any UND fans at the Red Carpet after the game, LETS HAVE ONE! :)

I'd be perfectly content with a split. SCSU is always tough at home even against UND's top lineup. Given what happened earlier in the year against SCSU at home and the players UND will be missing, I think predicting a Sioux sweep or even 3 points is a tad bit optimistic. I just hope we don't get swept.

I have got to agree with you - a split would be good given the players out and the fact that it will be played on SCSU's home ice. SCSU did themselves proud up in GFK earlier in the year and I expect them to come out strong this weekend.

Here is the way I see it. SCSU is leading the league this far because they have played the most games and have the most points. I don't expect them to be in the top three by the end of the season. I don't think that they are a very good team either. UND lost becasue the breaks went SCCC way.

Now SCCC is forunate that they get to play UND without their top three of four players in points. Having to play a league game minus 3/4 top players is rediculous in my mind. That being said I think that UND can still win at least one of the two games and I will be disappointed if they don't get some points this weekend. However, even if they lose both these games this weekend its really a non factor in the WCHA season because UND has played the least games in league play and only lost 2 points. SCCC has lost 8 points already and was swept by Denver this season.

I will stand by my statement that UND minus these players is still a deeper team than SCCC. The edge might be in goaltending but if UND play defensively I think we can shut down SCCC.

Yeah SCSU getting swept at home against Denver is puzzling but shows some vulnerability and perhaps exposes a team that might not be as good as their current record. That sweep also being to the same Denver team the Sioux blew out in their building a few weeks prior to that. I see SCSU as maybe a number three team in the league if not #4. I doubt they will remain on top of the WCHA much longer - being the games played factor contributing to the Sioux's low league point total. Should be a great series nontheless but I won't be shocked if we walk away with just 2 points. I certainly don't even remotely expect the Sioux to get swept.

Going back to the title to start this thread off

UND vs. SCSU, Let's prove who the best team
I don't believe this series determines who the best team is. I think the logic is false since we are with out our three top players... I think this weekend is nothing more than just another two games series.

Today's St. Cloud Times is reporting that SCSU defenseman Tim Conboy won't play this weekend for academic reasons. I read earlier this week that Huskies captain Ryan LaMere wouldn't play, either, but it appears that he's now back in the lineup. There are some good comments from Sioux players in the article.

With Conboy out and LaMere hurting, it could bode well for the Halmarscino Line. :D

Virg Foss has an article in today's Grand Forks Herald about the UND-SCSU series. In his weekly hockey column, Foss talks to Zach Parise about star players getting worse treatment from WCHA officiating.

Goon-

The "SCCC" thing was started at the UM and is more fitting coming from them. I don't know if you are trying to be like them, but it has never caught on anywhere except on POI. Sioux Fans are more original than that! However I did like some of the sign ideas for when SCSU was up there. I likes the photo of President Saigo in a Blackhawks jersey.