SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FB fans thoughts on BSC and how UND will fair?

bisoninnwmn

I don't come over here much but this is a question that I have pondered for awhile.

IMO, UND can do quite well in the BSC if they play alittle different than what most of the other schools expect. The BSC is a passing league with many teams running some type of spread offense. IMO, UND could come in and totally shake things up by smashing the running game at defenses and having a controlled passing game off of that. Defense has typically been a stong element the last 20 years so I expect the defense to be very good once the coaches figure out what type of player they need in the BSC.

My point is that, as a Bison fan, I love our "modified" west-coast offense that emphasizes the power running game. The MV has a lot of teams that run some type of version of the spread and I love the fact that we stick to our same philosophy: play good defense and run the ball.

UND runs a "pistol" type offense or some version. Will the coaches continue this or is there something else changing?

Well, I guess I'm just "old-school" with liking power running teams and strong defenses.

Like I said, IMO, UND can totally shake things up by having a power running team in this conference. One thing about the Midwest, we have big kids that make good OL and DL. I'm Mussman has taken notice of how the Bison did it last year......play good defense and run the ball.

What do you guys think?

For me teams can never control the clock by passing the ball. I believe it is better to run the ball and take time off the clock if the running game is working. The sioux did great running and if we could have a decent passing game the running game would likely be even beter with less on them.

I don't come over here much but this is a question that I have pondered for awhile.

IMO, UND can do quite well in the BSC if they play alittle different than what most of the other schools expect. The BSC is a passing league with many teams running some type of spread offense. IMO, UND could come in and totally shake things up by smashing the running game at defenses and having a controlled passing game off of that. Defense has typically been a stong element the last 20 years so I expect the defense to be very good once the coaches figure out what type of player they need in the BSC.

My point is that, as a Bison fan, I love our "modified" west-coast offense that emphasizes the power running game. The MV has a lot of teams that run some type of version of the spread and I love the fact that we stick to our same philosophy: play good defense and run the ball.

UND runs a "pistol" type offense or some version. Will the coaches continue this or is there something else changing?

Well, I guess I'm just "old-school" with liking power running teams and strong defenses.

Like I said, IMO, UND can totally shake things up by having a power running team in this conference. One thing about the Midwest, we have big kids that make good OL and DL. I'm Mussman has taken notice of how the Bison did it last year......play good defense and run the ball.

What do you guys think?

We moved away from the pistol last year, that was more of a gimmick to try and compensate for lack of talent. UND will always pound the rock. I just hope that we finally get some play calling with some balls, we never take risks and it holds us back. With Hansen at QB we will be able to chuck it around to spread the D out and then pound it up the middle instead of trying to run into 8 and 9 men in the box all game long. Our offense is going to be light years ahead of last year and the last 5 years for that matter. It will be the best since the 2007 version that averaged 500 yards per game with Freund/Dressler/Chappell

In the last decade before the NCC broke up when UND ruled in football in North Dakota and was always at/near the top of the NCC, their MO was domination on the O and D line and solid running backs. I see a return as stability returns to the program in recruiting and scheduling.

I don't see North Dakota deviating too much from the style that they have played for the last 20 years. Our core recruiting grounds, although expanding, remains Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. Those areas it seems will always produce more bruising lineman and backs than they will uber-athletic QB's and flashy wide receivers. Surly we will get some gems from time to time, but I think it is the program's goal to have a balanced offensive attack that has the ability to take advantage of any opposing defense's liabilities. I also like watching power football and stingy defensive play.

I don't see North Dakota deviating too much from the style that they have played for the last 20 years. Our core recruiting grounds, although expanding, remains Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. Those areas it seems will always produce more bruising lineman and backs than they will uber-athletic QB's and flashy wide receivers. Surly we will get some gems from time to time, but I think it is the program's goal to have a balanced offensive attack that has the ability to take advantage of any opposing defense's liabilities. I also like watching power football and stingy defensive play.

There's nothing better than watching a defense destroy opponents like the 01 d did.

I actually felt that the '03 defense was even better. But I'd love to have the secondary from either one right about now.............................

Both stellar maybe it was just the magic in the air from 01 that makes me remember them as the best defense ive seen. Can't lose with either