SiouxSports.com Forum

Engineering Changes Names

GeauxSioux

North Dakota State higher ed board OKs UND engineering name changes

The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education at its meeting Thursday approved name changes that will affect one of the University of North Dakota's oldest divisions:

The School of Engineering and Mines will become the College of Engineering and Mines.

The Department of Geology and Geological Engineering will become the School of Geology and Geological Engineeringas a component within the College of Engineering and Mines.....

...."Enrollment is reaching a record high of close to 1500 students, which represents more than 40 percent increase since 2008," said El Rewini, who joined UND that year. "We offer 24 degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels; three new degree programs were added in the last three years. Our annual research expenditure has doubled to more than $7 million in the last four years."

I knew there had been a growth in the engineering department, but had no idea that it had grown 40% since 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said, a waste of time.

I am also wondering what this will do to the value of my collection of North Dakota School of Mines Pottery. (Not really, but I am not big on changing names of long established institutions.)

It happens a lot in academia. You may remember the School of Communication at UND went the other way a few years back; it's now the Communication Department -- and deservedly so. :glare: But, in the case of engineering at UND, the change was brought on by the rapid growth of the specific department and the school as a whole when it came to enrollment, academic offerings and new administrative units. Really, the new names are a better and truer reflection of what the divisions really are now compared to the past. Times change; you can never go home again. Deal with it.

North Dakota State higher ed board OKs UND engineering name changes

I knew there had been a growth in the engineering department, but had no idea that it had grown 40% since 2008.

alot of online growth, something like 1/4 to 1/3 of my 'classmates' were online students. Not sure what the exact ratio was in each class.

As a graduate of the school of engineering, I can say this is a waste of time.
as a graduate of the business school and a soon-to-be graduate of the engineering school, i can say that one is a hell of lot more worthwhile than the other.

• 1 month later...

Why is UND's expansion in its geology, geologic engineering, and petroleum engineering programs a big deal?

Well, ask SD Mines graduates. They make more than Harvard graduates.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-17/harvard-losing-out-to-south-dakota-in-graduate-pay-commodities.html

Why is UND's expansion in its geology, geologic engineering, and petroleum engineering programs a big deal?

Well, ask SD Mines graduates. They make more than Harvard graduates.

http://www.bloomberg...ommodities.html

I sent this to a friend this afternoon. I was out at one of my project locations last week and she was saying she was the only one that was from a small school. The rest of the staff came from power conference schools. I told her to share this link with them.