SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. NDSU

GeauxSioux

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/15325952/enrollment-up-at-ndsu-and-und

Isn't these numbers more important:

NDSU's enrollment up 36 students from a year ago

UND's enrollment up 645 students from a year ago

NDSU's student growth is barely moving while UND's is moving quite well. As for online students:

Tony's quote

You've opened another line of discussion. I'll grant you that distance learning is fine and dandy; however, the two primary purposes for a university are to grant degrees and conduct research. Online courses sound suspiciously like extension work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_State_University

102 bachelor's, 79 minors, 66 master's, 44 doctoral, and three professional degrees make up North Dakota State University. NDSU offers a unique major known as University Studies that allows a student to study in nearly any area that interests them. To enhance learning among its students, NDSU offers online classes, online academic portals, or technology enhanced classrooms.

If they graduated their diplomas say North Dakota State University...not NDSU Online College.

Well, I suppose that was partly because they knew that they were hitting you where it hurt. After all, UND got caught inflating enrollment numbers once... turned out that UND had been doing it for 17 straight years before anybody called them on it. If enrollment numbers weren't important to UND, why did successive UND adminstration feel the need to do that?

Besides, if you are going to get huffy about inaccurate statements, why ignore the biggest fib out there (i.e. "If you want to own the farm, go to UND. If you want to work for a farmer, go to NDSU?")

Shouldn't that be "If you are ashamed of agriculture and mock everybody associated with it at every opportunity, go to UND. If you are serious about the industry, go to NDSU?" <== That's a heckuva a lot more accurate.

UND didn't change it's name to remove the word Agriculture, trying to hide the true mission of the school. If that's not ashamed, I'm not sure what is. Just sayin'

UND didn't change it's name to remove the word Agriculture, trying to hide the true mission of the school. If that's not ashamed, I'm not sure what is. Just sayin'

If anything NDAC should have changed their name to ND A&M...Agriculture and Mechanical like in Texas or ND A&T Ag and Technical like in North Carolina.

But that was the problem, AC didn't reflect the true mission of the school. Agriculture is just a part of the mission of land grant universities.

But just for good measure, you'll be happy to know that a poorly educated, unproductive, half-assed, land-inheriting farmer like me does in fact have an NDSU grad on the payroll. ;)

Maybe you had a hard time discerning my tone (decidedly jocular.) I guess my sense of humor is different than UND fans because, let me get this straight, calling some teacher a liar is "just joking" and coming up with Farmers Anonymous is oh-so-serious?

My punchline wasn't that the only way that a UND grad could own a farm would be to inherit it because, honestly, that's about the only way a non-corporation can own a farm nowadays regardless of where (or if) they go to college. I simply imagined a kid going to UND where just about everybody acts like the words "ag", "agriculture", and "farmer" are pejoratives and being so ashamed of owning a farm that he joined FA (I'd guess that the only chapter of FA in North Dakota would be in Grand Forks so, in that respect, if a guy was already ashamed of being in the ag business, then UND would be a much better school choice than NDSU). Anyway, see how much funnier stuff is when it is explained? :)

If you ever come down to tailgating at NDSU, stop by so I can finally meet a UND-educated farmer! You'd definitely get a free beer or two outa the deal.

But that was the problem, AC didn't reflect the true mission of the school. Agriculture is just a part of the mission of land grant universities.

To be fair to the NDSU folks, even Justin Morrill said that he regretted the use of "Agriculture" in the wording of the Morrill Act, because it was to go well beyond the teaching of agricultural methods.

Wish I could think of a good smart-a$$ follow up to rip on the ag school! :lol: