SiouxSports.com Forum

New Hockey Rink

Pretty sure Grand Forks can claim the most hockey championships for one city?

Between Grand Forks Central/RR/UND they have 47 championships!

Obviously a skewed stat, but cool none the less.

Any other city come close? Including the NHL?

I mean "city" not "metro" area.

I would have to think Boston would right up there with the Bruins, BC, and BU. Plus they're by far the biggest city in Massachusetts so I imagine they have the most high schools or at least the largest few, which would give them pretty good odds at a big number of state titles. That's just a guess though, as I have zero knowledge of Massachusetts high school athletics.

Pretty sure Grand Forks can claim the most hockey championships for one city?

Between Grand Forks Central/RR/UND they have 47 championships!

Obviously a skewed stat, but cool none the less.

Any other city come close? Including the NHL?

I mean "city" not "metro" area.

5 of those championships was without the Redskin nickname..so does that count? Shouldn't it be 42. There are some (Sioux fans) who believe UND can only be known as the Fighting Sioux including in the record book. Well here is a prime example where the records are kept as the schools name not "nick"name.

Anybody heard any other news with regards to this project?

They are in the process of talking with a variety of community groups to get feedback on the project. They will make some adjustments based on the feedback, and then will start a fundraising campaign. They have the $2.5 million commitment from the Blue Line Club, it is a matching grant so they would need to raise that same amount to get the full amount. Then they hope to sell the naming rights for approximately $2 million. That would provide the $7 million they need to complete the project the way they want.

Maintenance and upkeep would be paid out of rentals and tournaments income. Very little ice time is available for rentals right now. A rink could probably be rented out just about every week night through the winter right now with current demand. Very few hockey tournaments or ice skating competitions are held in Grand Forks because of a lack of available facilities. They project they could host 8-10 weekends of tournaments the first year and potentially double that at some time in the future. There is a lot of demand for more youth hockey tournaments in the region, especially from teams north of the border. These tournments would also help fill hotels and restaurants Friday through Sunday during those weekends.