SiouxSports.com Forum

Penalties can't be reduced

PCM

From the 2004 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations:

HR-42  RULES 4-9/PENALTIES

Supplementary Discipline

SECTION 10. The proper disciplinary authority may, at the conclusion of the game, and at its discretion, investigate any incident that occurs in connection with any game and may assess additional suspensions for any offense committed before, during or after a game by a player, coach or non-playing personnel, independent of whether such offense had been penalized by a referee. The proper disciplinary authority may not decrease any penalties assessed before, during or after the game by the on-ice officials.

(Emphasis added)

In other words, penalties can be added and increased after a game, but never reduced. The rules also state that appeals of penalties are not allowed and protests are not recognized.

Wow, a common misconception by fans and announcers.  That rule has changed in the last couple of years though, I know that for a fact.

Remember last season when there was talk of trying to get the ECAC to reduce the penalties of the four Sioux players suspended for fighting at Yale? It couldn't be done. I remember the Sicatoka quoting the rule over and over again.

And then there was the Cory LaRose incident just before the 2000 Frozen Four. He was called for butt-ending in the final minutes of Maine's victory over Michigan. LaRose was the Black Bears' captain and one of their leading scorers.

Many people didn't think he deserved a suspension, especially right before Maine played UND in the Frozen Four. But there was nothing to be done because no appeal was allowed and no penalty could be reduced. LaRose didn't play and UND beat Maine 2-0.

I don't know how long the rule has been in effect, but it's certainly been around since 2000.

Remember last season when there was talk of trying to get the ECAC to reduce the penalties of the four Sioux players suspended for fighting at Yale? It couldn't be done. I remember the Sicatoka quoting the rule over and over again.

And then there was the Cory LaRose incident just before the 2000 Frozen Four. He was called for butt-ending in the final minutes of Maine's victory over Michigan. LaRose was the Black Bears' captain and one of their leading scorers.

Many people didn't think he deserved a suspension, especially right before Maine played UND in the Frozen Four. But there was nothing to be done because no appeal were allowed and no penalty could be reduced. LaRose didn't play and UND beat Maine 2-0.

I don't know how long the rule has been in effect, but it's certainly been around since 2000.

PCM,

I'm not questioning you at all. I'm just recalling a game between BC and BU, which I attended about ten years ago. I can't remember the player for BC who got a DQ at the end of the first night's game. THe coach's lobbyed the officials afterward and they reduced the penalty. BU fans were outraged during the next game.

I can see why they'd have such rules. Just imagine all the lobbying and behind-the-scenes crap that would go on if penalties could be reduced.

I agree, but at the same time it's very arbitrary & doesn't lend any latitude. The NFL gets a 2nd chance so to speak to reverse what could have been a potentially bad call, but not in any other sport does this option exist. Just the nature of the beast, I guess...